News Craig Stewart slams former club Collingwood over ‘lack of respect’ for son James Stewart

Remove this Banner Ad

Im amazed that no other teams are offering various mids large bags of cash.

But if you look at Mumford, Patfull, Shaw (thanks !), Lamb and Griffen, those are exactly the sort of good, maybe fringe all-Australian but not superstar players clubs should have been offering us for all the draft concessions, but didnt.

Then add some good recruiting, like Stewart (thanks !) and McCarthy (thanks for passing on him, Carlton), and you get a side being better than it should have been allowed to be.
I agree with you about the calibre of players that were being offered to you a while back, it never made a lot of sense to me.

There's a few around here that think we did you another favour in passing on McCarthy (and taking Freeman at #10) as well.

I agree with you about the calibre of players that were being offered to you a while back, it never made a lot of sense to me.

There's a few around here that think we did you another favour in passing on McCarthy (and taking Freeman at #10) as well.

Yeah, I can see that.

Do you think Collingwood will make a run at Shiel or Cogs ?

Yeah, I can see that.

I would love them too but I doubt Shiel would leave and Cogs would go back home to WA?

I would love them too but I doubt Shiel would leave and Cogs would go back home to WA?

The GWS system is to try and make the club home (the Lamberts are footballer whisperers), but large bags of cash have a way of interrupting that.

Id be ecstatic if all the Melbourne clubs leave Cogs alone.

Yeah, I can see that.

I pretty much agree with what TD has just said. I'm sure we'll be in there trying our best, especially with any young Vics, though.

Now that you've started winning games and the future prospects are looking very bright, it has to make it a lot easier to convince young players to stick around and be part of what should be a successful side in the near future.

I pretty much agree with what TD has just said. I'm sure we'll be in there trying our best, especially with any young Vics, though.

Now that you've started winning games and the future prospects are looking very bright, it has to make it a lot easier to convince young players to stick around and be part of what should be a successful side in the near future.

If there's half-hearted offers, we'll hold them.

What I fear are Boyd-style offers - someone dropping the kind of cash in front of Shiel that Carlton paid Daisy.

What I fear are Boyd-style offers - someone dropping the kind of cash in front of Shiel that Carlton paid Daisy.

What teams have that Room in there Salary Cap?

We already got Adams off you

You should have such a surplus of good young talent on your books over the next few years that even if the odd one does decide to leave (especially if they're heading back to Victoria and 6-7 clubs are chasing them) you'd be in a strong bargaining position nearly every time.

You should have such a surplus of good young talent on your books over the next few years that even if the odd one does decide to leave (especially if they're heading back to Victoria and 6-7 clubs are chasing them) you'd be in a strong bargaining position nearly every time.

There appear to be two sorts of GWS deals - the ones where we go to a player 'We appreciate you doing the right things, but you arent in our plans' where we go for a pack of chips and a can of coke (ie Edwards and Aylett to Essendon* when Adealide had offered more for just one of them) and the 'You're going to need to pay through the nose' (ie Boyd)

To pull this back on topic, a Stewart deal would be category two.

There appear to be two sorts of GWS deals - the ones where we go to a player 'We appreciate you doing the right things, but you arent in our plans' where we go for a pack of chips and a can of coke (ie Edwards and Aylett to Essendon* when Adealide had offered more for just one of them) and the 'You're going to need to pay through the nose' (ie Boyd)
Of the 14 players that have left GWS for other clubs I'd guess you wouldn't be all that fussed about most of them, actually. Dom Tyson and Boyd leaving were very big stories, Tyson has played well but at least you would have been well compensated in both those cases. Josh Bruce and Anthony Miles are also doing well yet you probably didn't see them as big losses. The two you mentioned at Essendon (as well as Giles), Jaksch and Whiley at Carlton etc. haven't done anything to give you any regrets so far.

Of the 14 players that have left GWS for other clubs I'd guess you wouldn't be all that fussed about most of them, actually. Dom Tyson and Boyd leaving were very big stories, Tyson has played well but at least you would have been well compensated in both those cases. Josh Bruce and Anthony Miles are also doing well yet you probably didn't see them as big losses. The two you mentioned at Essendon (as well as Giles), Jaksch and Whiley at Carlton etc. haven't done anything to give you any regrets so far.

Tyson, and indeed Adams, were 'just another midfielder'. Boyd hasnt impressed me, either at GWS or at the Dogs - I think McCarthy will be better, and IMO Jezza is the only current player not named Ablett who might end up as one of the greats.

Im glad to see Miles do well - we left him in the seconds, and good luck to him at Richmond. Same with Whiley at Carlton. Im a little dirtier over Bruce, but - again - good luck to him.

Im still confused why other teams havent shoved cash towards our players to force us to match and make us lose others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im still confused why other teams havent shoved cash towards our players to force us to match and make us lose others.
Start playing finals and winning a few and that (friendly?) attitude may change dramatically!

Had to spoil a nice conversation, didn't you. ;)

Nahh, Im serious.

GWS might make finals this year, but 9th-10th is more probable.

If we keep Shiel and Cogs - and they are the most likely unsigned - then we've got WTFBBQ depth in the mids, win a couple of finals in 2016 and the whole team can then taste a flag and no one is leaving.

It'll also still see useful players like Mummy, Shaw, Griffen and Patfull still in the best 22, and players like Stewart with another 5 kilos or so of muscles.

If this is going to be derailed, clubs need to be raiding GWS hard this offseason.

Nahh, Im serious.

GWS might make finals this year, but 9th-10th is more probable.

If we keep Shiel and Cogs - and they are the most likely unsigned - then we've got WTFBBQ depth in the mids, win a couple of finals in 2016 and the whole team can then taste a flag and no one is leaving.

It'll also still see useful players like Mummy, Shaw, Griffen and Patfull still in the best 22, and players like Stewart with another 5 kilos or so of muscles.

If this is going to be derailed, clubs need to be raiding GWS hard this offseason.
I didn't mean you had "spoiled a nice conversation" by talking nonsense, I meant it was "cruel" of you to point out what many of us already suspect - that GWS could be almost unbeatable in a few years time!

Given that you have such a fantastic collection of young talent, if things pan out as they should do on paper, your future will indeed be a bright one.

Last edited:

Whilst I think you guys have a dream batch of youngsters, I'm not seeing your Stewart love. Despite his height, I see a low possession, low intensity, outside flanker.

I'm yet to see anything from Stewart to make me think we've made some kind of a blunder in not taking him. If he does develop physically and blossoms into a genuine KPF things may change, but he hasn't done enough to worry me at this stage.

Whilst I think you guys have a dream batch of youngsters, I'm not seeing your Stewart love. Despite his height, I see a low possession, low intensity, outside flanker.

I wouldn't say he is low intensity and flanker is only due to him playing up field as a link man rather than deeper which is Cameron and McCarthys role.

He does need to get more involved for longer periods and also finish off his work when having a shot.

Plenty to work with and is developing the KP aspects to his game that were lacking pre drafting. Attacking the contest well this season.

Unfair comparison. One of them is playing a power forward role against power defenders, a role where you don't expect many stats. One is playing as a high half forward - a position usually played by a high possession getter.
In terms of my claims of low intensity - 0.5 tackles a game for someone who is playing as close to the midfield as Stewart is is very worrying.

Due to the Collingwood connection, I hope Stewart becomes the gun that you think he will. Whilst he is a great size, has nice skills and moves beautifully, I'm struggling to see a big future. I haven't seen him demonstrate genuine KPP attributes. I see him as having little aerial threat or more importantly - competitiveness and I don't see him having a future in his current role, as you'd be better off playing a depth midfielder or a flashy dasher in that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back