Analysis Good Bad and Ugly V GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't get posts like this. Do you take joy in pointing out how average our side is? What supporter does that?

We'd be a better side without the injuries we had. We played a type of football in Rounds 1 and 2 I'd like to see replicated when we have the manpower to do it and the time to learn how to do it. If you genuinely can't see a difference in the way the team is tracking, and for want of a better word the "vibe" off-field, I'm sorry to hear that. But you're probably in the minority.

You can only beat who you play and we've lost to three quick, young, good sides. No shame in that (except perhaps the bulldogs disaster).

Basically what I'm saying is: shut up and be be patient for goodness sake.

Some supporters just accept no excuses and demand a premiership year after year. Smart supporters however understand where the list is at and can look for positives in games like today. I saw plenty of good from our youngsters for example, our skill level was better than most games this year. We can get a lot better and we will when Crouch, Smith and Sloan come back into the side.

:eek:......But he's hopeless & a waste of a list spot?

He has stepped it up this year...think this is two consistent games in a row...get the feeling there must be a trigger clause in this year of his contract because he is stepping it up :)

Nah, credit where it is due, he has done alright so far this year but would like the last two weeks form be his base for the year

We were all excited about Walsh. What we have seen this year is absolutely no different to 2014.

Our first quarters are shocking. We have lost 4 first quarters this year and have lost 3 of those games. If we win the first quarter we win the game, which has happened all 4 times. Its identical to 2014.

We haven't cleaned up our entries inside 50 or our use of the ball.

8 rounds in and the only thing that Walsh has done different (and better than) Sando is play some of our younger players to see if they are AFL quality.

I'm as frustrated as anyone, and selection and poor starts are really pissing me off - but this is a process; I think we were expecting too much in thinking Walsh would turn it around in one pre season.

Sando was made to look good in 2012; we were still super fit, super disciplined, well structured and well drilled...

Walsh inherited none of those things, he's got a hell of a lot of work to do.

:eek:......But he's hopeless & a waste of a list spot?
Why don't you repeat this sarcastic post when he plays a bad game? I love the DMack lovers who bring this up when he plays well and say sweet * all when he does * all, which if you were going to assess his career has been the majority of the time. Or the other chestnut when he's had a bad game that we don't know what his role is.

He has stepped it up this year...think this is two consistent games in a row...get the feeling there must be a trigger clause in this year of his contract because he is stepping it up :)

Nah, credit where it is due, he has done alright so far this year but would like the last two weeks form be his base for the year
He was good overall but still turned it over far too much for someone whos supposed to be a great kick.

Great Post. Brown has been non-existent the last 3 weeks. Been okay defensively but has had no offensive output.

The positive is that Lever will turn into our Nathan Bock and Talia is already Rutten. Long term we are fine in KPD.
Lever will make Bock look like an absolute spud in comparison by the time he is finished

Your definition of outstanding differs to mine. He did some quality things in junk time when the pace was off the game.
His game was not bad by any means. This is just the same old crap he copped last season. Looks like nothing has changed for him. The perrinial sub. He is wasting his time at this club. Walsh has offered nothing that would suggest a change to the sub philosophy from last year.

So after 14 rounds, one of our senior players might work himself back into the form where we can label him 'handy'....

Says it all, really :(

senior or not injuries can take time to come back from.

how long did swallow take? how long did otten take? how long did tex take? by handy I mean better than a typical afl player. even if he isnt danger, sloane or crouch i'd still rather have him than not, if the team's got to the point where he's nearly out of it (when hes back in form), then it will be a bloody good team.

Wasn't too dissapointed today, thought we fought it out well two men down. I don't think people realise how much quality is actually out: Crouch, Douglas, Sloane, Smith, Jaensch and Hendo. I think with those 6 in there, and guys like VB and Wright out, we win that game. If we head into the bye 6-4 and get most of those back, I'm quite optimistic about the 2nd half of the season.

Jacobs, Tex, Betts, Danger and Lever really stood out for me. Thought DMac provided good drive out of defense. Our midfield was smashed in the centre clearances today though, must get better there, which we will when quality comes back.

This GWS side beat a much stronger Hawks side than us 2 weeks ago, bring on Freo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Lever is a GUN. He is going to be something special.
The Ugly:

• Our 1st 15 minutes. Just unforgivable.
  • Our injury list. Ridiculous. Might as well send out the SANFL team next week.
  • Wright. Hopeless. Slow. Can't kick. Awful decision maker. Put a line through him.
  • Grigg, Kerridge, Lyons showing they are fringe players who won't make your team any better. Need to use them while we have to, but put some young guys in when the opportunity presents. They just aren't AFL standard.
So for those prone to premature of other teams players ......are people now 8 games in happy with drafting Lever ...I am !

Being a bit tough here on Kerridge ...1st game back, is entitled to some leeway

Other players are fine .....surround them with quick players and they'll be excellent .....put all these slows in together & you get today's result

You can't go around making ridiculous statements like how you don't see a single difference between now and then, and then say "hey it's just my opinion" when someone points out the ridiculousness of it. That's actually counterproductive to your desire for discussion, right?

Post-loss, you've basically told everyone Walsh is as useless is Sando and that there are no differences to 2014. Okay, that's your opinion. But sorry, I have to say it's a bit of a dumb opinion. And hey that's just my opinion.

No. I have said numerous times on this board that our selection this year has been much improved in 2015.

What hasn't changed is the KEY ISSUES that plagued us in 2014. Those issues again are our slow starts in the 1st quarter, our very poor forward 50 entries and our inability to stop a team from getting a run of goals against us.

Would love to hear how Walsh has fixed our slow starts - as it didn't appear to be that way against the Doggies, Dees, Power and GWS. Also tell me more about our great ball use inside forward 50. I certainly didn't see GWS get a run on today (apart from when they had 9 scoring shots before we brought the ball inside our forward 50).

One other things I vehemently disagree with is this notion that because we beat North and Collingwood last year, beating them again this year is nothing. Beating them again is a sign of consistency, an issue you might remember from 2014. We also lost to Melbourne at home last year. I just feel that if you need to put down your club, do it in a constructive way. Your post, with all due respect, added nothing. Perhaps that's why I needed to get the hose.

Where have we improved on last year? I see your Melbourne example and raise you a Western Bulldogs.

My post might not have added anything to you. But I just want to know what an incorrect post saying we are better than last year brings to the table?

One thing that bothered me watching this game is the bombing of the ball deep into the forward line when there was NO one there. By the time Jacobs was shifted there it was too late in the game. JJ is as good as a statue. FFS the guy needs to impose himself on the game and go hard through opposition players much like how Mumford does it, legally of course.

its more when - we can see on the TV there is a handball option, but they bomb it anyway, to an outnumbered option. Yet our opponents, run and handball parallel causing a cleaner entry. I could understand that if we played a man on man system, but we play the +1 in defense, so why kick to their extra number? I was hoping Walsh to change this error this year.

But we have a top 6 list and the only thing holding us back was Sando?!?!!?!?
Stupid comment. Despite the cattle on the field, we are still playing a better brand of football.
Near full strength we will beat most.

No he hasn't ......everyone complained the team wasn't fit enough ....Walsh gets the team fitter and Mackay can do what he always does ..but more repeat efforts

People confuse talent with a wide array of other issues ....inc issues off field

I'm as frustrated as anyone, and selection and poor starts are really pissing me off - but this is a process; I think we were expecting too much in thinking Walsh would turn it around in one pre season.

Sando was made to look good in 2012; we were still super fit, super disciplined, well structured and well drilled...

Disagree ......not a whole lot ....just needs to get his midfield back, and draft/trade maybe 2 players that will help our structures

I think Walsh wont be a quick fix. This year is all about our guys learning his systems and getting their own games to a level where his gameplan will work.

It is also about playing the kids to see who can do this. We are 8 games in and yes on the surface little may have changed, but watching closer you can see our players being a bit smarter for longer. The bad habits are still there though.

There wont be a spike like we had under Sando. The spike lead to two years in an abyss.

If its about 2 years time.. why are the likes of VB playing? We shoulda won today..

Fair point. I'd also be far less critical if we lost by 10 goals plus.

Apologies. Happy to spell it out for you mate.

I would have been less critical with our first quarter smashing if we had been smashed the whole game. I could then use the common excuse on this board that injuries hurt us, that GWS were too good, etc.

I am more critical of our first quarter because we matched it with GWS for 3 and a half quarters and the main reason we lost this game is because we were fast asleep during the first 10 minutes of the game and gave up a 34-0 lead. This is a direct reflection on both the coaching group and playing group and nothing to do with injuries or talent.

I'm not letting Talia off for the 3rd week in a row. Bad.

No where near as bad as some others, but bad still the same. Looks like he is playing concussed/hung over for a month straight.
Bit hard on Talia with the complete freedom GWS midfield was able to play with

Absolutely. I like Walsh. Love his selections so far.

However - I haven't seen an improvement on the key problem areas of 2014. Hopefully we see improvement on this by years end.

Apologies. Happy to spell it out for you mate.

I would have been less critical with our first quarter smashing if we had been smashed the whole game. I could then use the common excuse on this board that injuries hurt us, that GWS were too good, etc.

I am more critical of our first quarter because we matched it with GWS for 3 and a half quarters and the main reason we lost this game is because we were fast asleep during the first 10 minutes of the game and gave up a 34-0 lead. This is a direct reflection on both the coaching group and playing group and nothing to do with injuries or talent.

Thanks for that. Much clearer now.

This ....two weeks in a row Walsh has said we'll start well and tackle frenetically ......just forgot to tell the players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back