Richmond vs Essendon: How big is the rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate these drug taking pricks and there arrogant supporter base seriously jab went from a plodder who couldn't hit a target to one of the top 10 mids in one off season but there clean * off they are

I was there punt road end second stand up behind the goals...
we should have won...jurica just could not kick a ball in our goal square through for a winning goal...
best game I ever saw the turd play...kept the bumbers in the game that day...great game though...

Huge supporter base for both clubs.

That is what makes us rivals as we both can draw a big crowd.

I have a lot of respect for Essendon as they always are competitive. Many good people are at that club and I know them personally.

The drugs fiasco may eventually effect the club, especially if WADA are successful.

I think it's probably the smallest of the 'big 4' rivalries as there is less historical enmity between the two clubs, but there's definitely something there.
I will never forget that you were born a Tiger mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If ever a rivalry was going to erupt it would have been after the Windy Hill Brawl in 1974, but that never came about because Essendon were insipid up to the early 80's, then we became insipid, so it's never really eventuated.
I've said before that I've never really minded Essendon until the James Hird led arrogance that started in the late 90's and carries on to this day, now I go for Carlton against Essendrugs.

Our Biggest rivalry is Collingwood. neighbours, similar demographic background, successful at the same time. Collingwood V Richmond really should be the biggest game in the sport with The Fan Armies and the tradition. This has been the most under achieving rivalry in the game in terms of attendance and hype. If both got it together to be top 8 together it would blow the gates off the MCG. and see unequalled decibel levels.

Second biggest: Carlton. Despicable.

Essendon are Third. Basically its a clash of giants. Essendon are as big as Collingwood. We know they are ahead of us in the pecking order. They know a successful Richmond would rival them both on and off field and is the only club which really could explode past them.

The 6 Big 4 rivalries dwarf every other rivalry in the game.

Hi,

From an Essendon fan's perspective the rivalry doesn't have the same feeling as against Hawthorn/Carlton/Collingwood. As already alluded to in this thread it's likely due to geography and a lack of overlapping success. I suppose we've been equally s**t for 10 years, though, so is that something? :$

But by virtue of being two of the biggest three clubs in Melbourne there's always something there and we've pulled some huge crowds this century despite being rubbish. There's some extra feeling for this game as the loser will find it difficult to make the top 8 and it'll be another wasted season.

Hi,

From an Essendon fan's perspective the rivalry doesn't have the same feeling as against Hawthorn/Carlton/Collingwood. As already alluded to in this thread it's likely due to geography and a lack of overlapping success. I suppose we've been equally s**t for 10 years, though, so is that something? :$

But by virtue of being two of the biggest three clubs in Melbourne there's always something there and we've pulled some huge crowds this century despite being rubbish. There's some extra feeling for this game as the loser will find it difficult to make the top 8 and it'll be another wasted season.

8th VS 9th. Even at this early stage it has a whiff of finals like importance.

We HAD to wn in Adelaide. Back to back wins against two decent teams suggests we have found a bit of heart and manned up. We are a chance of top 8.

You HAD to win as well.

Two giants, neither currently fielding teams really packing the punch to go on and beat everyone but both well able to deal each other a huge blow.

Arguably the most important Richmond V Essendon for over a decade.

Collingwood are nowhere near gone but their window has closed. Carlton are almost incredibly poor. There is an opening for both clubs to establish itself in the medium term as the best onfield of the really big Melbourne clubs....with all the attention and potential income that goes with that. Starting now. Massive game. 85,000 crowd.

Last edited:
Like most others, I'd say there's not much of a rivalry for me. There's something, but it's not strong.

The peptide / Hird nonsense makes them easy to mock. The treatment of Knights as a coach, and a disgruntled Houli, both add a bit. Good mates who suddenly turn into flogs around Dreamtime because they support Essendon add a bit.

The DT game is because of Sheedy

If anything, I used to feel a bit warm towards the Essendon of the Sheedy era. Richmond plumber back pocket turned coaching super genius! Great story. Great footy person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back