Hot Topic It's Official - Bye Mick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit rich for Judd to come out and say there's a feeling of sadness for Mick amongst the players.

If they played like they actually cared about their coach, club or supporters for the last eight weeks then Mick would still have a job.

So what is the general consensus of people feelings toward the club now? Does it feel like a weight has been lifted or it's just the start of something bigger (board spill etc)?

Are we more or less likely to get behind the club by voting with our asses and getting to games to support the players?

Me personally i'll always get to the games whenever i can, that's never an issue. I just hope we can get a young, highly thought of & lower profile coach into the mix, who can bring some new energy and ideas into the football club. Someone who can go about their work as quietly as possible , be well spoken in the media and bring the best out of the playing group. Dew, Bolton or Bassett would be my replacement choices who would seem to fit what i personally am looking for.

It was a circuit breaker.

A little bit of cleansing with more to come, promise of a process.

What we saw on field was suffocating. It could not continue and Mick was not looking to change anything until the end of the year. It was not sustainable for supporters, sponsors, or the mental wellbeing of players. Some are still competitive beasts who are very angry.

We might go out and get beaten by 15 goals every week instead of 12. We may play like we are freed up. We might see some players play who were previously held back so SOS can assess them properly. Anything could happen right now but that's a lot better than tuning in knowing nothing was changing and wondering why nothing was seeming to be done to address it.

I'll support whoever we put up, and Ill get to as many games as possible. Last week was the first game i'd missed in 4 weeks. I had finally reached the point after sticking fat through the prior 3 weeks of horrible performances that I could either go to the game with Geelong supporting friends and see the same tripe be put up, or I could go see a good band from interstate that I wouldnt get the chance to see very often....I chose the latter. But ill be watching this Friday, and at the MCG the following Saturday. I'm not expecting wins, but im hoping to be more entertained than I have been in previous weeks.

Disappointing to see how it all unfolded but it was untenable.

Still have a lot of time for Mick but I'm glad this is now behind us.

Onwards and upwards now!
No pressure on the club now. Can go through the rest of the season building for 2016.

What we saw on field was suffocating. It could not continue and Mick was not looking to change anything until the end of the year. It was not sustainable for supporters, sponsors, or the mental wellbeing of players. Some are still competitive beasts who are very angry.

Don't forget the financial implications. Regardless of whether the players or board still believed in Mick, the supporters had given up on him and his gameplan (whatever it was). We'll probably save money long-term by sacking him and paying him out, as I believe the crowds will now return.

Woke up this morning and actually feel a like the weight has been lifted. There was a dark cloud that was not going away whether it was right or wrong. We can now look to the future with a new coach and fresh optimism that hopefully the playing group can feel.

Go Blues!

Six weeks ago, I believed the coach should be given the opportunity to set about rebuilding the club, but the players have spoken since with their shocking on-field lethargy in a manner quite shocking in its on-field execution.

The statement they made – or failed to make in Malthouse's milestone achievement against Collingwood in round five – spoke volumes and have rendered all subsequent interviews meaningless. With hindsight, the coach was finished the night he passed Jock McHale's games record.

Hard to argue with Caro here. Patrick Smith in today's Oz called Malthouse "a good idea gone bad" and its hard to argue with that too.

The game against Collingwood showed to me that the players were going to play soft, unaccountable football under Malthouse no matter what: ff they couldn't show a bit on his biggest day they were never going to. And they just got worse after that, proving the point.

I find myself quite content that he is gone, or maybe just that this era has an end point. Hopefully the new era beginning has an upward trajectory and at the very least Carlton becomes watchable again.

Not sure why you are debating the point. You just did it again.

It is your opinion that Mick is one of the best coaches in the business and his fate entirely rests on our club and a lack of understanding as to what it takes to rebuild.

Firstly, if you keep leaving out the Thomas, Jones, Tutt acquisitions you can point to list turnover as a sign Mick was rebuilding from the outset. I think these decisions mock that point of view.

I have posted before that Ratten turned over an awful lot of players too, even when making finals, yet he gets the blame for the state of our list 3 offseasons after leaving.

Secondly, the complete and utter loss of form and confidence of multiple players all at once is alarming. You need these players to be leading the way so the younger players can learn by example. The senior coach should be addressing that.

Thirdly, the game plan is not clear and the only time we have looked good is when we have thrown caution to the win and played the corridor. Numerous pundits have discussed how predictable we are. It doesn't take 3 seasons to instil a workable game plan into a list. Something else was wrong and Mick did not appear to adapt.

Fourthly, some of the selections are baffling. Young players in and then out en masse when Mick thought he could pinch a win. Nick Graham not getting game time because of his deficiencies when the senior side was full of deficiencies. Mick even went as far as saying after a loss that players had put their hand up in the VFL and would get a go. Graham gets to be sub, plays a quarter with plenty of endeavour and then dropped again. How is that helping the rebuild? How does suggesting he told the players to get out there and play the game, then dropping Buckley for getting caught or turning the ball over trying to take the game on in the corridor help the rebuild? Mick plays favourites like both coaches. Steadfastly doing so when there was precious little to keep the supporters invested was poor judgment.

Mick earned his termination. He contributed to making us one of the most watchable sides to the most unwatchable side and turned over list cloggers and a couple of miscreants, allegedly in the name of a rebuild he was carrying out from the start in your view, but made no big statement with this list and what he was prepared or not prepared to accept from them.

You say you recognise there is blame to go around but offer a token 'he may or may not have erred if he contributed to losing a few experienced players' as evidence of his mistakes, while giving the rest of the club both barrels.

I prefer to separate the issues. I stuck with Mick until this year when I realised this grand plan everybody whispered about was just a leap of faith and there was little evidence showing what we were trying to achieve aside from our periodic wish list that litters our history.

No quality rucks = 2 rucks early in the draft and one via trade and on the rookie list. Hope one sticks.
Undersized = went out and recruited all tall mids and tall flankers one year.
No outside run = get Daisy Thomas
Poor kicking skills = players must be able to kick.

I agree with the last one but these good kicks are looking terrible with this game plan and inability to run to space, and the rigid one on one game plan.

The club issues are another thing again and we have lots of time to talk about those.

Based on performance and failings to date, the club had little option but to do what it did yesterday. I hate seeing the obvious club issues being used to minimise Mick's input into his own demise.

images

Goodbye Michael Malthouse
Though I never knew you at all
You had the dignity to hold yourself
Whilst the board around you caved
They followed Slobbo out of the woodwork
And started whispering slanderous crap
That sent the supporter base into a Tizz
And made you lose your gig

And it seems to me, you coached at Carlton
Like a Candle in the Wind
Never knowing whom to trust
When the players gave in
And I would have loved for you to coach us some more
To rebuild our crummy list
Your coaching candle burnt out at Carlton
But your legend never never will.

#ThankYouMick

644449-mick-and-nanette-malthouse.jpg

Enjoy your well earned retirement with Nanette and the family Sir :)

Goodbye Michael Malthouse
Though I never knew you at all
You had the dignity to hold yourself
Whilst the board around you caved

They followed Slobbo out of the woodwork
And started whispering slanderous crap
That sent the supporter base into a Tizz
And made you lose your gig

And it seems to me, you coached at Carlton
Like a Candle in the Wind
Never knowing whom to trust
When the players gave in
And I would have loved for you to coach us some more
To rebuild our crummy list
Your coaching candle burnt out at Carlton
But your legend never never will.

#ThankYouMick

644449-mick-and-nanette-malthouse.jpg

Enjoy your well earned retirement with Nanette and the family Sir :)

TBF it was quite the opposite, the board stood strong whilst Mick not only caved, but also attempted to bring the club down with him. Make no mistake, in the end it was mick vs CFC and he had scant regard for you or me as supporters. You are either CFC or Mick Davills. Time to make a decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to argue with Caro here. Patrick Smith in today's Oz called Malthouse "a good idea gone bad" and its hard to argue with that too.

The game against Collingwood showed to me that the players were going to play soft, unaccountable football under Malthouse no matter what: ff they couldn't show a bit on his biggest day they were never going to. And they just got worse after that, proving the point.

I find myself quite content that he is gone, or maybe just that this era has an end point. Hopefully the new era beginning has an upward trajectory and at the very least Carlton becomes watchable again.

When Ratten left I felt genuinely sad to see him leave. He was clearly passionate about the club and a long injury list which had us playing Gibbs and White as KPD's and Casboult/Waite combining for 2.9 against GC (11.20 to 15.8 total) cost him his job.

I feel rather apathetic about MM's sacking though.

Mick was only part of the issue... or maybe should I say a symptom.

Having MLG and ST in charge is, in my view, like having Marlon Brando as president and Leslie Nielson as CEO... the CEO makes you want to laugh at things he says and does, but the threat of sleeping with the fishes forever looms.

So over having one individual suck all the oxygen from the club's identity. Let's spread the load around now - diverse selection committee, diverse candidates, best selection, players, games, premiership points, opponents, fans, kids, pies, seating, weather, membership issues, more pies.....

It is so good to have mick gone, the move had to be made or else we were headlines each and every day. It was obvious he wasnt going (and nor should he) coach on next year, he isnt right for this club. So make the deicsion now, they should have made it Monday instead of that 2 weeks nonsense.

Now we can move on and be irrelevant for the rest of the year (which is a good thing, can get on with planning for 2016 onwards). Get games into kids who deserve a crack and see what we have and what we dont have. Expect alot of big losses but also so suprising results/games where we do play good footy. Players will be let off the leash a bit and we may even play through the corrider once in a while.

TBF it was quite the opposite, the board stood strong whilst Mick not only caved, but also attempted to bring the club down with him. Make no mistake, in the end it was mick vs CFC and he had scant regard for you or me as supporters. You are either CFC or Mick Davills. Time to make a decision.

You have your opinion, I have mine. No doubt Mick was undermined by a constant and brutal media campaign against him all season, I am inclined to forgive Mick for cracking under the pressure, try put yourself in his shoes (and how all the negative press affected Nanette etc)

Not at all happy about Trigg's appointment and he has done nothing to change my mind since he has been there.

Sick of hearing crap like "I feel relaxed", "calling this out" etc in knob management speak he must think is cool.

We need intelligent, clear speaking people leading the club not politically correct wafflers.

And the irony of hiring a CEO who has been pinged for Salary Cap rorting leading out club is definitely not lost on me either!!

As a Crows fan this was what got me the most about him - he's like an echo chamber into which a new-age management textbook has been thrown and all you get are vapid cliches bouncing around with no true substance.

He's a caretaker administrator at best and the Crows strong financial and on-field stocks gradually dwindled away under his 'leadership'. If I was a Blues supporter I'd be fearful as to what genuinely strong, strategic and creative leadership he could bring to guide you out of a hole.

At least now over the next two years Trigg can at least get our internal systems and processes up to whatever Adelaide's were (this would be a big improvement even if they aren't the benchmark). You can appoint a 'young CEO', but if he hasn't had a senior executive role at an AFL club he has no idea on best practices.

Yes he's probably capable of 'copying and pasting' a bunch of systems and processes from Carlton to Adelaide which may drive some improvement - but has he got 'the next big idea' in his head that can take you/a club above the herd and into genuine success...history would suggest not.

You have your opinion, I have mine. No doubt Mick was undermined by a constant and brutal media campaign against him all season, I am inclined to forgive Mick for cracking under the pressure, try put yourself in his shoes (and how all the negative press affected Nanette etc)

I agree Mick was undermined by the media, but that's not to say he was undermined by the board.

As you say Mick cracked under the pressure, which led him to break from a united front with the board and resulted in the board making the only decision it could.

The scenario presented by our CEO and President was that they had sat down with Mick and all had agreed on bringing forward the coaching review... the very next morning Mick starts taking pot shots at them from several interviews in the media.

He had to be sacked at that point. I'm one of those who wanted to see him at least coach out the season and I'm very disappointed he decided to self destruct. Mind you I'm looking forward to seeing a tangible change in our approach on game day now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back