Hot Topic It's Official - Bye Mick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton wanted Mick to succeed this year. To be competitive, bring some new players in, bring some hope in. They wanted an excuse to re-sign him and wanted to respect him. Things changed week to week, the supporter mood changed, Mick wasn't appearing to change anything. Selections became bizarre. They had no way of seeing this happening. None.

I've no doubt everyone wants to succeed. Unfortunately someone's got to finish last. The list has issues and even though no supporter ever thinks they're as bad as they are, bottom 3 is an honest reflection of where the club is at. Whether Mick is ultimately responsible for that or if its the result of a decade of bad list management and draft sanctions can be debated for eternity. When you're 1 and 7 supporters are going to be filthy. When you're in the last year of a 3 year deal that started out as a supposed tilt at a Premiership the coach is going to be under pressure. I honestly don't think anyone could of done any better given the situation. It always had the potential to go bad this year. Arguably it couldn't of gone any worse and sometimes that happens. It is what it is, no-one is solely to blame but when the sharks start circling someones got to take the blame.

Everyone's entitled to have their opinion on Mick's ability and second guess his selections or tactics or media performance. To me I don't doubt the man's ability, I can't imagine there are even half a dozen people on the planet who understand the game or the job as deeply as he does. I don't doubt he loves his players. I don't doubt his commitment to his team or ambition to succeed. You might, others do, and its all good. My opinion is if he was 20 years younger and a little more of a sycophant to those on the board and in the media it'd be a no brainer to just appoint him on a long term contract and wait for the success to come. Sadly its not to be and the Carlton Football Club instead roll the dice and hope they pick a winner to take his seat.

I think you've over simplified and your bottom line is to hang it all on the board and the list. We're pretty aware of the potential or otherwise of our list so I'm not sure if your intention is to educate us or state the obvious. Suffice to say I have no desire to go round and round over the same points with opposition supporters visiting our board.

Mick should have won 3 or 4 flags at the WCE.
They were a magnificent line up of players.
He negotiated his Collingwood contract and jump ship when still under contract at the Eagles but denied it.
Any WCE supporter who doesn't remember the s**t he got up to, and the loathing he created in Perth, are here for purposes other than a legitimate discussion.

That was telling.

I feel he was always, and still remains, completely disconnected to Carlton.

Carlton was simply his vehicle to stick it up Eddie.

Everything he says now is odd and to justify his poor decisions.

Like how he still talks about Murphy as if he is a child.

Tonight he said in 4-5 years when he's 29-30 and leading the next kids.

Does he even know how old he is?

Like when asked about Dale earlier this year, and he talked about how he really got him for his personality and what he could bring as far as being a spark to the locker rooms.

Onwards and upwards, you'll see.

Embrace the rebuild, reassess what you want to get out of matches, I've really been enjoying ours.

Don't be scared of honesty from your club, things like our future fest signing last year kept people excited but realistic about where we're at.

Enjoy footy again, with no agendas at play.

That was telling.

I feel he was always, and still remains, completely disconnected to Carlton.

Carlton was simply his vehicle to stick it up Eddie.

Everything he says now is odd and to justify his poor decisions.

Like how he still talks about Murphy as if he is a child.

Tonight he said in 4-5 years when he's 29-30 and leading the next kids.

Does he even know how old he is?

Like when asked about Dale earlier this year, and he talked about how he really got him for his personality and what he could bring as far as being a spark to the locker rooms.

Onwards and upwards, you'll see.

Embrace the rebuild, reassess what you want to get out of matches, I've really been enjoying ours.

Don't be scared of honesty from your club, things like our future fest signing last year kept people excited but realistic about where we're at.

Enjoy footy again, with no agendas at play.

God bless you mysaintersman, wherever you are.

not being facetious. nice post.

He negotiated his Collingwood contract and jump ship when still under contract at the Eagles but denied it.
Any WCE supporter who doesn't remember the s**t he got up to, and the loathing he created in Perth, are here for purposes other than a legitimate discussion.

Look I'll bow out after this comment because I've nothing further to add on whats clearly just a different valuation of Micks coaching ability, and the stated position that only people who've chosen "Carlton supporter" on their profile are worthy of having a conversation with.

But since you bought up West Coast: No, I don't hate Mick for only winning us 2 flags. And I don't hate him for going to Collingwood because there is a lot to be said for getting out before the list starts to stagnate. Love Worsfold, who arguably could of won us more than one too, but glad he had the balls to go when he did because the list is obviously thriving under Simpson.

Carlton in '95 and Essendon in 2000 are the 2 most dominant teams I ever saw, those teams took away just 1 each. Premierships are rare. Realistic supporters realise they're a privilege not a right. Good luck with your perennial search to find the coach and poach the recruit to take you from bottom to top without the inconvenience of some failure long the way. I'll be over here on the west coast toasting Ross "0 from 5" Lyon finally taking Fremantle all the way this year, and looking forward to my boys being not far behind him.

Cheers and peace out.

Last edited:
I tread carefully on your board and understand you will be sensitive

Interested to read the various views on Micks interview tonight. I thought it was disingenuous and self serving. It reinforced for me why you had no option but to sack him in the end and are better off without him. I say that as someone who in the past has had a pretty high view of MM. He has left me cold recent times and tonight reinforced that.

Couple of points I really didn't like. His feigned surprise that anyone could have interpreted his remarks about the board, Betts and Trigg as being anything other than a man trying to be truthful. He has coached for 30 years and he knows exactly the impact those statements would make. They achieved their design. For him now to pretend innocence marks the rest of us as potential fools.

His comments about the reality of the list when he started at Carlton were contrived. It's one thing to say I am only positive so say positive things when asked. If he believed his public comments were so far from the truth he shouldn't have uttered them. Next breath he was saying he wanted to cull 15+ players in his 1st season and was surprised when he was told no. This is just fabrication. He has been doing this for 30 years. He knows with contracts, salary caps etc you cannot get rid of so many players in one year. It's impossible. Even if it wasn't it too many it would just gut a list to be so brutal. I have to believe he said such a thing because it suited his narrative tonight not because it was true

Last point was his supposed protection of the "young" Mark Murphy. If I was Murphy I would be ropable to be spoken about in such a condescending fashion by my coach. He may have well just neutered him. Murphy is one of the senior captains in the AFL. He is 10 seasons into a career, nearly 200 games, about to turn 28 yo and in his 3rd season as captain. After Judd and Simpson he is the next most experienced player at the club. At a guess I would reckon 3 seasons is about average for how long a player remains as captain. Murphy is much better than the poor wet behind the ears player Mick made him out to be. He doesn't need to be spoken about in such weak terms. Again it suited Micks narrative

I am sorry to intrude too much. Just wanted to express a view.

In hindsight Carltons problem was the appointment of MM. His dismissal was needed because he was damaging the club to his own ends.

Tonight is probably the only time I have felt even a little tinge of sadness for Carlton.

I tread carefully on your board and understand you will be sensitive

Interested to read the various views on Micks interview tonight. I thought it was disingenuous and self serving. It reinforced for me why you had no option but to sack him in the end and are better off without him. I say that as someone who in the past has had a pretty high view of MM. He has left me cold recent times and tonight reinforced that.

Couple of points I really didn't like. His feigned surprise that anyone could have interpreted his remarks about the board, Betts and Trigg as being anything other than a man trying to be truthful. He has coached for 30 years and he knows exactly the impact those statements would make. They achieved their design. For him now to pretend innocence marks the rest of us as potential fools.

His comments about the reality of the list when he started at Carlton were contrived. It's one thing to say I am only positive so say positive things when asked. If he believed his public comments were so far from the truth he shouldn't have uttered them. Next breath he was saying he wanted to cull 15+ players in his 1st season and was surprised when he was told no. This is just fabrication. He has been doing this for 30 years. He knows with contracts, salary caps etc you cannot get rid of so many players in one year. It's impossible. Even if it wasn't it too many anyway, it would just gut a list to be so brutal. I have to believe he said such a thing because it suited his narrative tonight not because it was true

Last point was his supposed protection of the "young" Mark Murphy. If I was Murphy I would be ropable to be spoken about in such a condescending fashion by my coach. He may have well just neutered him. Murphy is one of the senior captains in the AFL. He is 10 seasons into a career, nearly 200 games, about to turn 28 yo and in his 3rd season as captain. At a guess I would reckon 3 seasons is about average for how long a player remains as captain. Murphy is much better than the poor wet behind the ears player Mick made him out to be. He doesn't need to be spoken about in such weak terms. Again it suited Micks narrative

I am sorry to intrude too much. Just wanted to express a view.

In hindsight Carltons problem was the appointment of MM. His dismissal was needed because he was damaging the club to his own ends.

Tonight is probably the only time I have felt even a little tinge of sadness for Carlton.

Micks an insecure and self serving liar. Possibly the biggest in the game next to Sheedy.
We knew that before he came here.
Like all supporters at all clubs when dished up people like this, we turned it into "he's our insecure and self serving liar" so we supported him.

Glad he'll never be revered at our club. Glad we'll never have to invite him or roll him out at any future events. Glad his legacy with us is one where people realised the nature of the man and didn't just judge him on his record. Glad he will never be considered anything but a Collingwood and WCE hero. Glad that he may well end his time in football friendless.

But most of all, glad he's gone. J Barker is twice the human MM will ever be and that counts for something.

Have you actually been watching?

So we have missed Jamo and Hendo. Our midfield has largely been full strength. Kruezer has hardly played in 2 years. Our forwardline has been as strong as it gets. This week aside we have been no more affected by injuries than most clubs, and I hate it when people use it as an excuse for our sub par performances. Want to see a injury ravaged club, check out Gold Coast.

Yes I watch. I watch very closely.

Happy that Mick didn't unload on the club like i was expecting him to, although he did leave with a few little jabs to the ribs.

My thoughts exactly :)

Hopefully our boys rally tonight and at least have a crack!

What a load of dribble last night on 360. It ended the way it started, 'all about Mick'. Now he has talked himself into believing that football needs him. What an ego maniac. I was surprised that he did not have a large poster size photograph of himself in the background.

Mick take your wife and go on a cruise and give us all a break from your insufferable ego.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick, as a person, lost me years ago when he called Milne a rapist and then denied doing so.
That signaled him to be a blatant liar and one that covered their own arse at all cost.
As a coach though, he had some very good traits outside his game planning but unfortunately we couldn't harness that talent properly.

Anyway, and in short, if the CFC appointed Malthouse for his own self-serving purposes that's not Micks fault.
It's someone elses and it's that group of people that many would like to see go.................before they make more such mistakes.

Agree 100% with this. I can still name that whole eagles team. I think on paper that is potentially the best team of all time. He should have won 4 flags with that team. He then jags one flag over ten years with the best resourced club in the league. He is a good coach but not in the same league as a Clarkson or even Bomber Thomson.

I definitely was not quoting you Harker, you just happened to be the most recent post.

My apologies as I can understand if you did.

Mick is a liar unfortunately, no doubt and has been self-serving but not at the expense of the players and the people he had time for and the ones that supported his ways..................sort of no different to big business really.

I'm not surprised he had a dig at MLG and the board though...........they deserve it because they started the fire..........not Mick

My apologies as I can understand if you did.

Mick is a liar unfortunately, no doubt and has been self-serving but not at the expense of the players and the people he had time for and the ones that supported his ways..................sort of no different to big business really.

I'm not surprised he had a dig at MLG and the board though...........they deserve it because they started the fire..........not Mick

You seem determined to take the board down because of Shane Rogers. Most would be happy for some change, but that change is available through the application and voting process and not just the board spill route. We are going to struggle getting anything done with this underlying anger at the board bubbling away.

Such a bitter individual that lacks the ability to accept accountability. His intent was never to he help the club grow, succeed and prosper into the future; he simply wanted to prove Eddie and the Collingwood fraternity wrong. He comes out in a deliberate attempt to engineer his termination, and claims that Adelaide secured Betts 18 months prior to his contract finishing. Whilst we all now doubt the honesty and integrity of any AFL investigation, he subsequently tells the AFL that Trigg is innocent and essentially rubbishes his own allegations. He knew what his throwaway line would cause, but he did not care. After all, he got his sizable exit pay and will now revert back to media work where his will try and make himself seem relevant.

You seem determined to take the board down because of Shane Rogers. Most would be happy for some change, but that change is available through the application and voting process and not just the board spill route. We are going to struggle getting anything done with this underlying anger at the board bubbling away.

I can't do any such thing but we can't keep blaming/sacking anyone and everyone......yet the decision makers get off untouched.

I'm happy to get off the boards back as many others have taken up the fight...................I hope they win.

I can't do any such thing but we can't keep blaming/sacking anyone and everyone......yet the decision makers get off untouched.

I'm happy to get off the boards back as many others have taken up the fight...................I hope they win.

The thing is, the anger has started 5 years too late. The pressure should have been on during the last admins reign, where they collectively made two fifths of bugger all changes to improve the structure of the club. As of August last year there has been considerable change and effort made to improve the club.

My thoughts exactly :)

Hopefully our boys rally tonight and at least have a crack!

I just hope the kids go out there and just play.
Not expecting anything tonight - hoping for no injuries and a slightly more attacking gameplan.

Was pleased to hear Mick will be watching tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back