Toast Player you didnt rate but now impresses you

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps for me.
Thought he had pace but was a little goal hungry, selfish, a little soft and front running.
I couldn't get why he got games ahead of others, guess the coaches have their jobs for a reason.

With him and Shep, it's amazing how a consistent run at it with continual games builds belief and confidence.
Instead of having 1 game in 6 games out.

MCkenzie. Hated him in the backline after some turnover goals that lost us games earlier in his career but he is a champion. Impressed with his ability.

MCkenzie. Hated him in the backline after some turnover goals that lost us games earlier in his career but he is a champion. Impressed with his ability.
nice to agree with you yeah , i remember wondering who was worse he or beau wilkes

I didnt rate Priddis once upon a time , now I love him LOL

Not a total didn't rate for any of these as they're all a Sheppard i've been hot and cold on throughout his career. Still has weaknesses but has found a role that suits his strengths.

Wellingham is playing well. Not in the role he was recruited for but his athleticism, speed and skill are all useful coming out of defense and he's got a solid contested base to build a defensive game around.

Bennell. His game has serious merit but his production isn't good enough for someone of his loose defensive abilities. Needs to do more of his better work to keep his spot beyond 2016.

Guys that still aren't impressing me are McInnes and Sinclair. Two C grade work horses on borrowed time.

Totally agree.

I have the feeling that the coaches wanted him to play more accountable last year and so this year he hasn't done too much attacking he did last year.

Liam Duggan - thought he was a plodder at first, now I look stupid.

Fraser McInnes - thought he'd never make AFL level, but he's been doing well.

--

Jamie Cripps, Josh Hill, Sharrod Wellingham, Brad Sheppard for the reasons explained previously.

Liam Duggan - thought he was a plodder at first, now I look stupid.

Fraser McInnes - thought he'd never make AFL level, but he's been doing well.

--

Jamie Cripps, Josh Hill, Sharrod Wellingham, Brad Sheppard for the reasons explained previously.
McInnes is the interesting one. It seems that he has brought his WAFL game to the AFL.

Similar possession game and similar impact to what he produced at EP. No more, no less.

I've been very impressed with how Simmo has managed to motivate and get the best out of the B graders in our side.

That alone shows you that our team is united and are playing for their coach.

Agree with sentiments above :

Shep - always saw something in him, last year for the first time I thought he can make it. This year there is a hardness about his game that has really impressed. Contested marks, taking hits, previously would have missed games but now his body can take it.

Cripps - was always a fan, now more consistent though, good kick for goal - i feel more relaxed when he takes a kick than just about anyone else

Hill - glad he brought some consistency. I watched an EP game in first couple of weeks and he seemed very determined. Has kicked on from then on. That near run-down of S Hill in the derby was also an example of his work rate - would have been more so if he managed to catch him.

Wellingham - seems suited to current role, glad he has found his position in our team.

Overall our list is in a healthy position. We have a lot of players entering the prime part of their careers so it should hold us in good stead if we can keep that core together and a couple of our youngsters (Yeo, Duggan) take the next step to A graders..

Shephard and Masten - just starting to justify the early picks used on them. I hope Newman can do the same in the next few years.

Sheppard has been excellent this season. Intercept marks, hitting larger opponents and making quick sound decisions. Work rate is excellent.

Wellingham has shown dash and courage in the backline, although I did rate him prior to that positional move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Priddis.

First I thought 'gee this guy is slow and can't kick' but then he won a Brownlow and has really surprised me with how elite he has become.

I always thought Shep would amount to something. So definitely Hill. He's had a ripper season. Just hope he can keep it up for a couple more seasons to come.

Cripps and shep are the standouts. Shep has improved out sight. Being injury free has really helped. Cripps is finally using his pace to his advantage

Geez, that's a bit rough mate! He's one of the most improved players in the comp IMO.

Hence why he's in my didn't rate basket. Even with his improvement I'm still not that excited by him. He still costs us goals occasionally (far less often than he used to), is prone to the odd shank, lacks a bit of strength, lacks balance and falls over too often.
All these weaknesses have improved this year a fair bit but still exist.

Hence why he's in my didn't rate basket. Even with his improvement I'm still not that excited by him. He still costs us goals occasionally (far less often than he used to), is prone to the odd shank, lacks a bit of strength, lacks balance and falls over too often.
All these weaknesses have improved this year a fair bit but still exist.
By those standards you shouldn't be too excited by many players on our list. Sheppard has been terrific.

In terms of people nominating Butler:

Top 10 kicks in the AFL in 2015 (based on Champion Data kick rating):
1. Grant Birchall +11.0%
2. Sam Butler +8.9%
3. Scott Pendlebury +8.2%
4. Eddie Betts +7.4%
5. Jobe Watson +7.3%
6. Sam Fisher +6.9%
7. Jack Gunston +6.5%
8. Sam Mitchell +6.5%
9. Garrick Ibbotson +6.5%
10. Matthew Boyd +6.2%

Currently the second best kick in the competition!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back