Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodes is setting himself up perfectly for a career in politics.

He's disliked by a large majority, tells porkies and gets away with more than the average less high profiled person would.
Sounds just like a politician to me.

If fans don't wish to be called racist, show some iota of understanding for the context of racism in Australia.

Let's just imagine for a moment that you have been living in Melbourne for last 50,000 years and a group of violent Sydney siders came and took over. Let's imagine that most of you were killed and the few remaining were settled in communities and taught the religion of Sydney.

225 years later I suspect a few of you would speak up about the plight of your people.

I am an indigenous Australian, and I'm very disappointed with the war dances to celebrate. Especially Lumumba, he can piss off, I know he thinks he's backing up Goodsey, but he's just being a flog, he's not indigenous. There's many indigenous dances you can do after scoring. Doing a war chant at opposition supporters is not on, they're not your opponents. Do it before the game....

I applaud you for showing this thread that indigenous people don't just lap up what Goodes does and how he does it. I'm sure more would if not for fear of backlash. No one likes the slander of "traitor" that could come

I still have not heard the Goodes apologists on how it's just dismissed and ignored that his war dance terrified young girls in the section by the fence he was running at. So far two people at the ground, nearby commented on this. No video/stills yet, but want to know their thoughts.

If you knew your own daughter was genuinely scared by the display would you call her wrong? would you educate her? or would turn the responsibility to him and think maybe Goodes could have thought this out better, and done something more harmless? I just wonder.

What is the purpose of a war dance?
Aren't they used for exactly the purpose for which Adam Goodes used one?

Opponents traditionally have the ability to respond. Which is what they did.

But Aboriginal cultures are already respected in Australian society anyway just like any other demographic (or at least in Melbourne it is).

Me personally, I don't think the race of an individual should be recognised by others (but it should still be respected). The individual's actions/merits is what should be recognised (completely independent of background).

I'm not sure what goes on in NT, but surely the consensus of respecting Indigenous groups should be the same as in Melbourne.
The Recognise campaign exists because the aboriginal community do NOT feel respected at all.

Perhaps other cultures do, but the original owners of this amazing land certainly don't.

Considering Goodes position as a White Ribbon ambassador I thought his actions were inappropriate with women in the vicinity of where he directed the hostility at.
1432901618335.jpg

The fact that he described himself as representing indigenous Australians with this behaviour is unfortunate.

Aboriginal women are the victims of extreme rates of domestic and other violence compared to their non Aboriginal peers.

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/people/domestic-and-family-violence#axzz3bbtJtrDA
Times an Aboriginal women living in rural and remote areas is more likely to experience domestic violence than their white peers

Times Aboriginal women are more likely to be hospitalised due to family violence

80%
Percentage of jaw fractures due to alcohol in the Northern Territory. Aboriginal people in the NT have the second highest rate in the world.

Goodes has set a bad example with his behaviour in the presence of women last night..

See we can all make ridiculous leaps to various conclusions to slur others if we try hard enough :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I applaud you for showing this thread that indigenous people don't just lap up what Goodes does and how he does it. I'm sure more would if not for fear of backlash. No one likes the slander of "traitor" that could come

I still have not heard the Goodes apologists on how it's just dismissed and ignored that his war dance terrified young girls in the section by the fence he was running at. So far two people at the ground, nearby commented on this. No video/stills yet, but want to know their thoughts.

If you knew your own daughter was genuinely scared by the display would you call her wrong? would you educate her? or would turn the responsibility to him and think maybe Goodes could have thought this out better, and done something more harmless? I just wonder.

You write some hilarious material.

If fans don't wish to be called racist, show some iota of understanding for the context of racism in Australia.

Let's just imagine for a moment that you have been living in Melbourne for last 50,000 years and a group of violent Sydney siders came and took over. Let's imagine that most of you were killed and the few remaining were settled in communities and taught the religion of Sydney.

225 years later I suspect a few of you would speak up about the plight of your people.

i'd be so happy that they'd shared the technology that enabled me to live to be 225+ years old.

yeah, but what have the Romans ever given us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Goodes doesn't want to be singled out because of his race but wants to be singled out because of his race. Okay.

******* hell. How do thoughts like this actually come to be? What is wrong with you?

Goodes does not want to be abused because of his race.
Goodes wants to be able to embrace his heritage without being abused for it. He wants the culture of his people to be remembered and celebrated.

Not sure I'd be seen as a traitor, I guess I'm white and black enough to see both sides. I half wish that Goodsey retired last year, as it's hard seeing him dent his legend by doing silly things. I also believe that he's gotten to the stage where whenever he does it says something, it's over analysed. He just needs to quieten down a bit.

Such an ironic Bold. This is exactly Goodes' problem. He doesn't understand that 225 years ago is not today. Even 20 years ago Nicky Winmar being barraged by thousands of racist taunts is not equal to a 13 year old girl saying ape.

When you make out like its 20 years ago level of racism we still face, or even 225 years ago? You just look silly and your agenda shines through.

I do get this. But society today is a lot different to then. No doubt his people have been wronged in the past, but Australia is such a different place now. It's amazingly multi cultural now, a large population now wouldn't even be descended from those that wronged them 225 yrs ago.
What frustrates me, is they refer to Australia Day as invasion day, rather than look at it as a celebration of what our country is now to all people.

i'd be so happy that they'd shared the technology that enabled me to live to be 225+ years old.
it's an interesting topic that. We bought western innovation to these shores and their standard of living went south ....

It's not unusual that we share a burden of guilt for what happened.

Lol

My daughter was scared when Nat Fyfe swung his leg the other day v the dogs, he should of got weeks

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You absolute moron.

Full credit to bipolarbear for their post. Full credit to a lot of people discussing this issue. I actually think it was very very stupid for Goodes to say he couldn't direct it at Yarran for example, like I don't think Goodes has handled himself perfectly this last week. I'm not some big defender of Goodes who is going to call everyone racist.

But you are being deliberately obtuse to think that Indigenous people would be labelled as a traitor to 'speak up' against this. What do you think, white people are going to call them 'traitors' for not agreeing with Goodes? Are you a ******* plank of wood posting?

And I really really really fail to see how Goodes could have possibly scared anyone with that dance. If my own daughter was scared by the display, I'd probably ensure she doesn't go back to the football for a while. There are 10,000's of drunk people in the crowd screaming loudly and swearing and carrying on, there's lights and there's players crashing into the fence. If a player well out on the field doing a bit of a dance 'scares' your daughter, no sorry 'terrifies', then you need to explain to your daughter what a fence is and what the difference between a 'fan' and a 'player' is.

Let's blame Goodes for random kid crying in stands because he pretended to throw a spear and shouted about 50 meters away from them. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Such an ironic Bold. This is exactly Goodes' problem. He doesn't understand that 225 years ago is not today. Even 20 years ago Nicky Winmar being barraged by thousands of racist taunts is not equal to a 13 year old girl saying ape.

When you make out like its 20 years ago level of racism, or even 225 years ago you just look silly and your agenda shines through.
After 50,000 years of life and then 225 years of racism and injustice, death and disease.

It's probably understandable that Adam feel justified in asking Eddie and his fans to re-think the language they use.

Goodes' problem is that he is militant in his approach. Garlett was able to express himself in a non-provocative manner, which I'm sure will be much better received.

My view is that this is not a militant action but that Goodes has turned it into a political statement. If he laughed it off after the game and just said he was having some fun given it's IR, most would have left it at that. The minute it was turned into a political statement, it was game on for the attacks to continue.

Go Tiges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back