Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol

My daughter was scared when Nat Fyfe swung his leg the other day v the dogs, he should of got weeks

I went to the footy as a kid with my cousins, I remember my 7 year old cousin crying because her ears hurt when the crowd shouted "ball" and when the siren went.

So Docker Alyssa, if we could just get the crowd to sit quietly like at the tennis and for the siren to be more of a school bell, that would be great, hey? I mean, if it was your daughter crying at the sound of the siren, would you give her ear plugs/muffs? Or would you turn the responsibility on the AFL and the siren and think maybe they could have been more considerate of sensitive ears? I just wonder.

The sooner Australians understand and confront the racist undercurrent at the heart of the country the better. For those saying 225 years ago is not today you do realise indigenous Australians have some of the worst living conditions, some of the highest incarceration rates, some of the highest youth suicide and self harm rates, some of the highest deaths in custody rates, some of the worst access to basic facilities, some of the worst rates of preventable diseases in the entire world? And this is a so called first world/rich/developed country.

My view is that this is not a militant action but that Goodes has turned it into a political statement. If he laughed it off after the game and just said he was having some fun given it's IR, most would have left it at that. The minute it was turned into a political statement, it was game on for the attacks to continue.

Go Tiges

Thats a fair point

Even if after the game when he asked he had of said, ohhh they were booing and i lost my s**t this would probably be less of an issue

Yes and no.
The only argument the anti-Goodes brigade have proferred is one based on race. The redneck brigade.
Those that are anti-Goodes for reasons other than race don't feel the need to make endless threads repeating the same nonsense over and over.
No but we feel the need to defend ourselves against allegations of racism. And the threads all get mashed up into a mega thread where the initial premise is lost and focus is on the war dance which I had no issue with.

I went to the footy as a kid with my cousins, I remember my 7 year old cousin crying because her ears hurt when the crowd shouted "ball" and when the siren went.

So Docker Alyssa, if we could just get the crowd to sit quietly like at the tennis and for the siren to be more of a school bell, that would be great, hey? I mean, if it was your daughter crying at the sound of the siren, would you give her ear plugs/muffs? Or would you turn the responsibility on the AFL and the siren and think maybe they could have been more considerate of sensitive ears? I just wonder.

I remember going as a little tacker to the toilet at a game and some drunk toss showing me some pills telling me i need to get him more, but nah i was way more scared of the gesturing of players on the ground, stuff of nightmares

No but we feel the need to defend ourselves against allegations of racism. And the threads all get mashed up into a mega thread where the initial premise is lost and focus is on the war dance which I had no issue with.

I agree that it is frustrating that those who just discuss the issue properly get lumped in as racists which is not fair, people can dislike a bloke without being racist

I do get this. But society today is a lot different to then. No doubt his people have been wronged in the past, but Australia is such a different place now. It's amazingly multi cultural now, a large population now wouldn't even be descended from those that wronged them 225 yrs ago.
What frustrates me, is they refer to Australia Day as invasion day, rather than look at it as a celebration of what our country is now to all people.

Extremely ignorant view.

I mean c'mon, sure we committed genocide against your people, destroyed their way of life, pushed them into concentration camp like "remote communities" stole your kids and sent them to live with white Australians to breed the colour out destroying communities and families. And yeah some of this stuff still goes on today. But come on man, we've given you Maccas and VB qnd Holdens surely that makes up for it right?

Such an ironic Bold. This is exactly Goodes' problem. He doesn't understand that 225 years ago is not today. Even 20 years ago Nicky Winmar being barraged by thousands of racist taunts is not equal to a 13 year old girl saying ape.

When you make out like its 20 years ago level of racism we still face, or even 225 years ago? You just look silly and your agenda shines through.

The only acceptable level of racism is 0% racism. Saying things are better now than they were, it's BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE GOODES AND WINMAR MAKING A STAND. :drunk:

I do get this. But society today is a lot different to then. No doubt his people have been wronged in the past, but Australia is such a different place now. It's amazingly multi cultural now, a large population now wouldn't even be descended from those that wronged them 225 yrs ago.
What frustrates me, is they refer to Australia Day as invasion day, rather than look at it as a celebration of what our country is now to all people.
If Sydney attacked Melbourne and stole your children etc etc. you would call it invasion day. That is guaranteed!!

Europeans still blame the Jewish people for the death of Jesus some 2000 years ago.

All you need to do is put things in context. No one is going to come and take your house away or throw imaginary spears at you.

Just apply some context.

Such an ironic Bold. This is exactly Goodes' problem. He doesn't understand that 225 years ago is not today. Even 20 years ago Nicky Winmar being barraged by thousands of racist taunts is not equal to a 13 year old girl saying ape.

When you make out like its 20 years ago level of racism we still face, or even 225 years ago? You just look silly and your agenda shines through.

Ok so racism is ok because it's not 20 years ago level of racism.

If you knew anything about Goodes, most of his efforts are not concentrated at the very small minority of fans who are still racist at the football - most of his efforts in terms of racism/Indigenous Australians are helping disadvantaged kids/families, who are indisputably still suffering the generational effects of institutionalised racism, off the field. What he's seen (obviously he had a bit of a different upbringing to central Australian kids etc) is the basis of his motivation - it's not being called an ape, it's seeing that Aboriginals statistically have a lot of things a lot tougher than the rest of the population, and hence he wants more done to bring them up to standard.

So no, Goodes' problem is not "he doesn't realise 225 years ago is not today". Like most of us, he realises that while racism does not necessarily exist in the historical/traditional context, there is still racism present. No, the racism is not booing or merely criticising Goodes, but there is racism - and that's precisely why you just don't get it, you think Goodes stance on racism is because someone called him an ape or because he thinks Aboriginals are being systematically killed like 200 odd years ago or stolen like 40 years ago etc.
I can't fathom that you're serious about this, surely you're a troll, but I doubt a troll would be so persistent in their posting. So you're just an idiot.

I agree that it is frustrating that those who just discuss the issue properly get lumped in as racists which is not fair, people can dislike a bloke without being racist

Am I being deceived by my eyes or something? You are part of the people doing that... hah. When haven't you pivoted the negativity to suggest its racial?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt there were racists remarks that day but that incident by those that were there had a very different story then what that became and now Wingmar plays along too. Including his then team mates so someones lying either the multiple people or Winmar and his mate who have an agenda to push oh and btw it has had a positive effect so I don't have an issue with how it is now portrayed other then when people use it to defend the Goodes bs currently going on.

Leftists simply cannot separate the religion/race from the person which is the reasoning why a few of them have gone on an internet forum rampage between now and yesterday. To them, it's all about dividing Australians for political purposes, to secure their vote.

The left just don't get that at all.

Replace the word leftists with Right Wing Nut Jobs and your paragraph rings true.
Spare us the Andrew Bolt-like bullshit.

Am I being deceived by my eyes or something? You are part of the people doing that... hah. When haven't you pivoted the negativity to suggest its racial?

You find one quote where i called someone a racist .

Opponents traditionally have the ability to respond. Which is what they did.
How could Carlton supporters respond? Their team is useless, they can't enter the field (although maybe borderline best 22) and if they verbal back they can get ejected from the ground.

Yes maybe today an aboriginal man can walk down the street and it is less likely that he'll have a derogatory term thrown at him (although I have witnessed Goodes copping them in his career i.e. Much sooner than 20 years ago). So yes there's definitely been a step forward. However, an indigenous Australian has a life expectancy ten years lower, is 3 times more likely to have diabetes and has a raft of other health and social disadvantages. Please don't pretend it's all sweet now and the work has been done.

No doubt there were racists remarks that day but that incident by those that were there had a very different story then what that became and now Wingmar plays along too.
Yep -there are different versions around but seriously-who has ever pointed to their stomach for a 'gutsy' reference"?

How could Carlton supporters respond? Their team is useless, they can't enter the field (although maybe borderline best 22) and if they verbal back they can get ejected from the ground.

That's what I was saying....

Extremely ignorant view.

I mean c'mon, sure we committed genocide against your people, destroyed their way of life, pushed them into concentration camp like "remote communities" stole your kids and sent them to live with white Australians to breed the colour out destroying communities and families. And yeah some of this stuff still goes on today. But come on man, we've given you Maccas and VB qnd Holdens surely that makes up for it right?

Not what I meant. Whilst there is no doubt the Australian history is filled with poor treatment of indigenous Australians, our society now is so very diverse that most of what happened is completely unrelatable to the majority of current Australians.

I have never, nor will ever think what happened was right

The sooner Australians understand and confront the racist undercurrent at the heart of the country the better. For those saying 225 years ago is not today you do realise indigenous Australians have some of the worst living conditions, some of the highest incarceration rates, some of the highest youth suicide and self harm rates, some of the highest deaths in custody rates, some of the worst access to basic facilities, some of the worst rates of preventable diseases in the entire world? And this is a so called first world/rich/developed country.
I'm not sure where you're going with this and what your point is... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back