Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

Garner to Nahas

bb0uPs3.gif

3. Taylor Garner played his first full game of the year. After playing one half against Port Melbourne and three quarters against Sandringham, the 21-year-old was able to finish strongly against Geelong.

“He got through the game quite well. He moved into the middle during the last quarter and finished strongly," Brown said.

“His tackling is a real feature and he does it with intent. Even though we have guys like Swallow (Andrew) and (Ben) Cunnington he’s close to our best tackler at the footy club.

“His physicality is enormous. He loves it and it’ll serve him well.”

Plays with a nice intensity.

Yet another North player who appears to need a compass to find the pill though.
15 touches as a half forward in his third game back in over a year isn't a bad effort, might be going a bit early there. Same amount of touches he got playing the same position in his second AFL game come to think of it.

15 touches as a half forward in his third game back in over a year isn't a bad effort, might be going a bit early there. Same amount of touches he got playing the same position in his second AFL game come to think of it.

Wasn't a condemnation of Garner, the high intensity manner of his play is good. But I don't think even at his best he's a natural accumulator/distributor.

Happy to be wrong.

Wasn't a condemnation of Garner, the high intensity manner of his play is good. But I don't think even at his best he's a natural accumulator/distributor.

Happy to be wrong.
I think you're probably right but let him play a bit of footy and then see what happens. Not all elite accumulators were racking up the ball in the juniors though you'd have to say that if you want to develop that part of your game then you're in a bit of strife if you find yourself at Arden St.

I think you're probably right but let him play a bit of footy and then see what happens. Not all elite accumulators were racking up the ball in the juniors though you'd have to say that if you want to develop that part of your game then you're in a bit of strife if you find yourself at Arden St.

Believe me I'll happily watch his progression and hope he does develop that string to his bow. On the proviso he accumulates these touches with his current playing style. Not from some misguided coach move to play him outside contests to get cheap ones.

Genuine question - can you think of any players who weren't accumulators in the juniors but developed that attribute in the AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still out of the question til after the bye I feel. But hoping the coaches pull the trigger the minute he is right, we need some pace and intensity into our side.

Plays with a nice intensity.

Yet another North player who appears to need a compass to find the pill though.
If he gets 15 touches, has 7-10 tackles (he can bury oppositions with his tackles) and snags 1 or 2 goals in the senior side I would be absolutely stoked!

Believe me I'll happily watch his progression and hope he does develop that string to his bow. On the proviso he accumulates these touches with his current playing style. Not from some misguided coach move to play him outside contests to get cheap ones.

Genuine question - can you think of any players who weren't accumulators in the juniors but developed that attribute in the AFL?
I'm not enough of a junior watcher (only been paying attention to drafts for about three years) to answer that definitively. Probably more thinking about players that only added that string to their bow after a number of seasons in the AFL or half forwards who end up being their team's #1 midfielder ie Ablett, Fyfe, Dangerfield etc.

There are different types of accumulators. There are the "Shane Clayton, Sam Gibson" types who achieve that though good fitness and reading of play, by covering the ground and collecting lots of outside touches. Then there is the "Fyfe, Pendlebury, Ablett, Selwood" type accumulators who simply win contest after contest. They are the priceless ones, and we haven't one single player of that type. Swallow, Ziebell and Cunnington can compete on clearance and tackle numbers with the very best, but don't win enough ball overall.

Blokes like Fyfe are always first to the ball. The fact Garner tackles so well is great, but is he the type who gets first to the ball? At any level of footy? Hope he gets a game soon, so we can have another look.

Agree.

He has some great attributes but natural accumulation doesn't appear one of them imo. Not yet anyway.
If he can tackle hard and kick his 1 or 2 a week, he doesnt need to rack up the possessions in my opinion. When he tackles he will either force a stoppage and opposition attack, get a free kick for holding the ball, cause a spillage were hopefully our players pounce or he hurts an opposition player. There were about 4 or 5 times were our blokes ball watched and let Swans players (Parker in particular) waltz through and create goals. Garner thrives in situations like that and turns into the terminator!

I'm thinking that he's almost our most promising youngster. That goal he got running it out of the centre with was impressive for someone coming back from hip and hammy ops.

And such a powerful player for someone he's size. I'm praying that he has a good go at it and we get too see him when his body is fully developed as he going to be a brutal player with class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back