Review Round 11, 2015: Collingwood v Box Hill Hawks, 27 June 2015, 12.12pm @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave Mirra injured his ankle less than 3 minutes into the first quarter requiring Pat Lawlor to play in defence. Zac Webster didn't play and Teia Miles was a spare for Hawthorn. I saw most of the first half before heading to the MCG and must say the lack of consistency and intensity of some Hawthorn listed players leaves a lot to be desired.

NAME NAMES!

Got to say that performance had this season for Hawthorn written all over it.
Coaches kept saying how we were in 2nd gear and how this performance is absolutely disgraceful after coming off a huge win over a top club last week.
Whoever mentioned the laziness could not be more on the ball. Sicily had an absolute shocker and didn't bring any intensity to the contest. Didn't chase or apply any pressure in Q1.
Grimley the same, did a few nice things in the forward line but again just showed he's lazy.

Total summary of players:

- Sicily: Seems like a lazy complacent forward every second week. Don't know if this is a mental thing or a fitness thing but he won't make it if this continues.
- McEvoy: Best on ground for us. Won nearly every ruck contest and every marking contest. He should come back into the side he was fantastic, the one high point for today.
- Simpkin: Average day much like everyone else. A lot of the ball but didn't notice him too much. Him and Grimley screwed up a clear goalscoring opportunity and ended up costing the game.
- Howe: Took over Langford's role as the hugely contested beast. Was in and under everything. Played a lot of midfield, so the other shining light today.
- O' Rourke: Again nothing special.
- Willsmore: Didn't do much and I still don't get his role. Just floats anywhere and doesn't have a position. Not sure what the plan is for him in the future.
- Woodward: Didn't have a big first half but lifted in the second half and towards the end of the game he made sure he got in and under everything. Heaps of tackles.
- Litherland: Shocking day. Just a really off day. Bad in defense, moved to forward line for the last quarter and screwed up a great chance to get the winning goal.
- TOB: Fairly solid day for him. One of the better players but he still doesn't do enough to make it to the next level.
- Grimley: Presented well but lazy as sh*t. Must be the most uncoachable player at times. With a few minutes to go he took a mark around 40m from goal on a slight angle. Could have probably sealed the game. I don't know what happened but all of a sudden he passed inboard to Simpkin who also fumbled and they screwed it up. Coach couldn't believe why a key forward wanted to pass it off from there.
- Spangher: Lost a couple of contests and got injured for a bit. Still showed why he's an AFL player he actually seemed really quick and athletic so not bad.
- Schoenmakers: This man cannot be a backman ever. He let a 1st year forward in Moore bully him at times. Goes up forward and generally looks like a decent forward, then goes back and looks like a bloody deer in headlights, just useless as a backman.
- Whitecross: Did really well in the last quarter when it was on the line. Quite a bit of courage.
- Heatherley: Was solid in defense but didn't seem like the quickest player at all today. Some good marks. He even went forward but definitely looks like a defender with such a set shot action.
- Pittonet: Doesn't do much. Just a tap ruckman who doesn't do much around the ground. Also needs to improve his marking if he wants to be an AFL ruckman. Hale, McEvoy and Ceglar are some of the best contested marks in our team and he's nowhere near that standard.

Shoe played defence ? does anyone thing that happened when they knew frawley was injured ?

Definitely not.

Schoey went back the moment Super Spang was injured.

At the time I thought it was a game losing move as Schoey was starting to contest a bit as a high HF playing around the wing, and I have not changed that opinion. Anyway, I fail to see how Collins and Gordon could have done worse if either were moved to play Spang's role.

Losing Frawley and Spang on the same day means Schoey will play some defence in the seniors until Spang recovers. That should finish our aspirations of a top two finish.

Last edited:
NAME NAMES!

The lack of consistency and intensity I was referring to can be within a game as well as from one game to the next. There was a contrast between the energy level of some players in the first and second quarters of the Collingwood game and an even greater contrast between the energy levels of some players in the Williamstown and Collingwood games. I normally don't like to name names because unbeknown to me a player may have been ill during the week or could be carrying an injury. I'll add under performing to the lack of consistency and intensity. The players I think could be so much better are [in alphabetical order] Grimley, Litherland, O'Brien, Schoenmakers, Sicily and Willsmore.

On a positive note I must praise to work rate of Howe [21 possessions/9 tackles], Simpkin [29/5] and Woodward [28/5]. I'm really excited about the prospect of watching Dan Howe develop into an A grade AFL player and I loved the way Sam Switkowski attacked the ball and tackled after such a heavy hit.

Result from the Development Squad game vs Port Melb today.

Box Hill 24.13.167 defeated Port Melb 6.14.50

Goals: Tatupu 6, Tobin 3, Jones 3, Franetic 3, McEvoy 2, Graham 2, Crocker, Hardisty, Murphy, Walker, Gibson.
Best: Tatupu, Gibson, Walker, Jones, M-Lewis, Monkhorst.

According to VFL Score-centre website.

Great news for all those Shem fans out there.

Dave Mirra injured his ankle less than 3 minutes into the first quarter requiring Pat Lawlor to play in defence. Zac Webster didn't play and Teia Miles was a spare for Hawthorn. I saw most of the first half before heading to the MCG and must say the lack of consistency and intensity of some Hawthorn listed players leaves a lot to be desired.

That's disappointing, and very unHawthorn.

Result from the Development Squad game vs Port Melb today.

Box Hill 24.13.167 defeated Port Melb 6.14.50

Goals: Tatupu 6, Tobin 3, Jones 3, Franetic 3, McEvoy 2, Graham 2, Crocker, Hardisty, Murphy, Walker, Gibson.
Best: Tatupu, Gibson, Walker, Jones, M-Lewis, Monkhorst.

According to VFL Score-centre website.

Great news for all those Shem fans out there.

Do we skip Box Hill firsts, and play Tatupu on Travis on Friday night?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we skip Box Hill firsts, and play Tatupu on Travis on Friday night?
Are you suggesting we try and turn him into a defender Thaihawk. Given our experience with Schoey I reckon you might be hard pressed.

That said, I reckon if he just stands next to Trav then Cloke will probably run off the ground in tears!

Are you suggesting we try and turn him into a defender Thaihawk. Given our experience with Schoey I reckon you might be hard pressed.

That said, I reckon if he just stands next to Trav then Cloke will probably run off the ground in tears!

Actually tommyk72, I had a vision of him running right over the top of Travis, Delicate Des Dickson style. However, I guess that would only lead to more bad press for our club.
More to the point, how far is Heatherly from getting a run in the firsts?

Actually tommyk72, I had a vision of him running right over the top of Travis, Delicate Des Dickson style. However, I guess that would only lead to more bad press for our club.
I just got this image of Cloke being crunched in a double hip and shoulder with Hurt coming from direction and Shem from the other. That's made my night!

A fair way as he has some issues atm and is certainly playing like it. This should be contrasted with his efforts a few weeks back, around the Sandy game, when he was in career best form.

If he was near 100% I'd give him a crack against brisvegas, carltank or maybe even Port but I doubt that that will happen.

Good question where is Jed ?

Well if you cheque out the HFC website you'll see Dipper interviewing him not 3 days ago....Trouble is - as with all things Dipper - he forgot to ask him the pertinent question....'When will you be back'?:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back