James Hird will “eventually” get sacked by Essendon, says Mark Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

I think posters downplay the role Thompson played in this whole debacle. He comes on board toasted after eating umpteen sandwiches in the coaching box. Then demands the players need to get bigger. On board comes Robinson. Jim is a noob and thinks this a tremendous idea.

In Knights last season, he fielded 10 players with less than 50 games under the belt. In hindsight, they should have just appointed a hungry, experienced coach to take them to the next level.

Instead...

I heard rumours he was the Albert Spear of the whole shebang ...

* Speer

I think posters downplay the role Thompson played in this whole debacle. He comes on board toasted after eating umpteen sandwiches in the coaching box. Then demands the players need to get bigger. On board comes Robinson. Jim is a noob and thinks this a tremendous idea.

In Knights last season, he fielded 10 players with less than 50 games under the belt. In hindsight, they should have just appointed a hungry, experienced coach to take them to the next level.

Instead...
I think you have have dismissed Hird as a coach for failing to take the team to a new level. He has, it's a subterranean level!

Instead...
Now im really depressed. When Richmond supporters start telling you how to run a club and start lecturing about coaches you know you have hit rock bottom :(

I think you have have dismissed Hird as a coach for failing to take the team to a new level. He has, it's a subterranean level!
If you only knew how much he got from the club to buy him out of his marketing business...is there anything below subterranean?

The figure is staggering.

I'm almost embarrassed to say, given I'm in the industry, but um..they gave him 3 million dollars.

This for his share of a business that has no assets and will be worth $1.80 in a decade.
Gee, he really did need to find results in a fast and furious way!

So that would make the bill for coaches since Knight $13mil plus void of any tangible gains. Crikey those diehard Hirdites are so funny and getting funnier by the day.

So that would make the bill for coaches since Knight $13mil plus void of any tangible gains. Crikey those diehard Hirdites are so funny and getting funnier by the day.
He did stay on as a consultant though. So coupled with his enormous workload as the new coach of a powerhouse, and the face of a whizz bang promo company, he was at home every night for family dinner.

Dat delegation.

He did stay on as a consultant though. So coupled with his enormous workload as the new coach of a powerhouse, and the face of a whizz bang promo company, he was at home every night for family dinner.

Dat delegation.
Delegation = indigestion and heartburn....................bugger! Oh what a feeling Turdota

so its probably about 5 million in excess of what would have been, even considering they would have bought out Knights for the one or two years. They still had to pay for assistants, just not Bomber thompson money. And the increase of revenues from sponsors and members for Hird, Samsung, 15k new members, is prolly dwarfed by the long-term brand damage to the club. They will no longer be able to book a Samsung or an Emirates.

so its probably about 5 million in excess of what would have been, even considering they would have bought out Knights for the one or two years. They still had to pay for assistants, just not Bomber thompson money. And the increase of revenues from sponsors and members for Hird, Samsung, 15k new members, is prolly dwarfed by the long-term brand damage to the club. They will no longer be able to book a Samsung or an Emirates.
But they are the biggest, richest, most suckcessful, most powerful and the most stupidest club in the AFL.

A tradesman always blames his tools for a bad job. The coaching team at EFC are a very expensive bag of hammers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Asked these questions in the Essendon board and in my fatigue was quickly advised that I had posted in the wrong board and if I wanted to I could read 2000+ pages to get the answers. Fair call in a way but 1800 pages would be disagreements over nothing.

Anyone I'm after honest thoughts from Bombers fans as we're all fans of the game and hate things happening to our clubs.

Thoughts on Hird. To me the players are naive victims who didn't do what all other top line athletes around the world do which is know 100% what is going in their bodies. Hird got in Dank and Co yet accepts zero responsibility. The damage caused to ESS and to the game as a whole is all down to him yet he is still loved so much. Why? He has ruined players lives and hurt the game but he is still loved.

Secondly where is all the outrage to the ESS board for the "lost" documents? ASADA is there to ensure a clean game and protect the health of athletes yet this board has failed. If this was happening at the Swans I'd be on the side of the players and calling for heads to roll at the Swans.

Thirdly Dank. Your thoughts? This bloke used players as guinea pigs and bares absolutely zero responsibility. He just denies everything yet look at the damage caused to the players and the game from this bloke. All he has done is said he's done nothing wrong yet has ran away when asked to sit before boards etc.

The stress appears to be showing in the ESS players and rightly so. In any job the long continued stress is sure to break people eventually which it seems is happening. As a fan of the game I don't like to see this happening to any club and just want great players and mediocre players going hard week in week out. It's why I watch nearly every game every week.

Living in Sydney I feel the Sharks got off very lightly and Flanagan should be banned.

Amazed at how he's getting his business degree squared at top dollar in preparation for when they give him the boot...and they're paying for that as well!!
Moreover, he really battled to complete his Civil Eng Degree at RMIT. Makes you wonder about the Business and Masters bit.

Last edited:
You need to also look at the role Thompson had with the contents of the list, he has contributed to it in a big way, maybe to sabotage Hird's legacy.
Now i heard every thing Thompson is the root cause of the Essendon troubles. Has Hird also employed a witch along with Danks to cast a spell on all Essendon supporters. Why is he loved so much? He single handedly is running the club. Honestly I know a lot of smart people who follow essendon and they all love Hird. Let me tell you one thing no individual is bigger than the club. No one. I am loving it though going to see the saints flogg Essendon this week as well as seeing my blue boys finally showing some glimpses and before anyone has a go at me I know exactly where the club is we are cellar dwellers but there is a tiny spark. At Essendon there is nothing but gloom and a lot more pain to come. Bring on WADA

2 things will keep Hird's job...

1. Winning AFL games
2. A not guilty verdict at CAS

Don't get me wrong I would prefer MT as coach...but he has no insight here.

2 things will keep Hird's job...

1. Winning AFL games
2. A not guilty verdict at CAS

Don't get me wrong I would prefer MT as coach...but he has no insight here.
There are more than 2 reasons though why Hird will get asked to clean out his office but really Just a quick few straight off the top of the head
1. Has not empathy cares for no one
2 No idea about coaching
3 Blames others takes no responsibility
4 Big Big Sook calling what Mitchell did naive and immature. Truth Hurts Did he run to Tanya or get his dad to write to the Herald Sun
5 Its all about Hird
6 See 5 above etc etc

Paid advertorial by Little?

Allows him to exit quickly and with full ego intact from EFC and the gathering s**t-storm (players v The Club).

Very much so, looks like the ALP tried to parachute him into a safe role, free from scrutiny.

Looks like F1 Boss Bernie Ecclestone blocked the move.... http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...y-leadership-uncertainty-20150629-gi0b72.html
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...a-one-grand-prix/story-fnpp4dl6-1227420916346

If you only knew how much he got from the club to buy him out of his marketing business...is there anything below subterranean?

The figure is staggering.
Chin up... there's a way to go yet!

Amazed at how he's getting his business degree squared at top dollar in preparation for when they give him the boot...and they're paying for that as well!!

It isn't a degree and everyone who sees one and knows what INSEAD is knows that.

There are more than 2 reasons though why Hird will get asked to clean out his office but really Just a quick few straight off the top of the head
1. Has not empathy cares for no one
2 No idea about coaching
3 Blames others takes no responsibility
4 Big Big Sook calling what Mitchell did naive and immature. Truth Hurts Did he run to Tanya or get his dad to write to the Herald Sun
5 Its all about Hird
6 See 5 above etc etc

I see maybe one valid reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back