The umpires have jumped the shark

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be an absolute nightmare of a sport to umpire. I don't envy them one bit.
But it's so inconsistent. One decision can be paid one minute and then the exact same thing can happen 30 seconds later and you can get a totally different decision.

But it's so inconsistent. One decision can be paid one minute and then the exact same thing can happen 30 seconds later and you can get a totally different decision.
Would it help having a few more umpires....not enough for such a big ground IMO.

Exactly thats what peeves me off with this sport you don't know whats going to happen week to week with every game. Umpiring today was an absolute disgrace.

Would it help having a few more umpires....not enough for such a big ground IMO.
I see it the other way around - less umpires. Just about every decision can be interpreted differently by an individual. The less opinions, the better. Whether it would improve the umpiring i don't know, but it might improve consistency.

Why can't we just be consistent? Tonight we had numerous free kicks for ruckmen using a 'stiff arm' (WTF do ruckman do then?), a free for a 'dangerous tackle' which was less dangerous than another deemed OK. Holding the ball despite no prior because of an 'illegal disposal'. So is there no such thing as prior opportunity now? Next week it'll be play on like it should be. I just don't understand what went on tonight.

Last edited:
Terrible overumpiring. Fairly consistent but still terrible. And when you do that you are bound to miss a few blatant ones which is exactly what happened. Paid ridiculous 50's then didn't pay the one where Monfries booted the ball away, or when Wines was deliberately legged after a mark. You pay 2 ducking highs in the forward 50 but don't pay the clothesline on Wingard. Pay 3 blocks, but don't pay the most blatant one in the game 90 seconds after the 2nd one against Mckernan. They started getting bored with recalling bounces so they let 3 go in a row that caused a goal either way from decisive hitouts. They recalled at least 3 or 4 kicks needlessly, one in the last quarter to a Essendon player from a OOTF with no Port player within 10 metres and the ump pulls it back to shift him 1-2m. They will pat themselves on the back because it didn't affect the result and we will get molested next week for donuts and go WTF.

Like someone else said been watching the Wednesday night old footy games from 80s and 90s etc and umpires didn't have as much influence as umpires have today on a game. All this dress the umps in diff colours, have sponsorships on there back, mic them up . FFS what about getting some blokes to make correct decisions every week.

I don't recall another game that I've been to where I've been so confused about the decisions. Both ways.

Yeah, fair to say we played ourselves out of that game but after so many calls tonight me and the people around me in the stands were left just shaking our heads, saying "...what?"

Why can't we just be consistent? Tonight we had free kicks for Ruckman using a 'stiff arm', a free for a 'dangerous tackle' which was less dangerous than another deemed OK. Holding the ball despite no prior because of an 'illegal disposal'. So is there no such thing as prior opportunity now? Next week it'll be play on like it should be. I just don't understand what went on tonight.

lol, i know what was that about. my wife even said to me how can you get a free kick for having a stiff arm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been absolute rubbish this round.

Stupid campaigners at the AFL feel the need to tweak and interfere every five ****ing minutes. The game will survive if they leave it the **** alone for a minute.

Atley grabs Adcock in a tackle, dumps him to ground, Adcock lands on his elbows = free kick for an aggressive tackle?

WTF?
some of the free kicks given to us made absolutely no sense, its clear the players are getting tired of the inconsistency and lack of justification on decision making by the umpires

Friday nights game was abominable, but at least the umps went in Hawthorn's favour, it would be bad enough being a Blues fan watching them copping the mother of all spankings, but to put up with that umpiring would have just rubbed salt into the wounds. That being said, I enjoyed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back