Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
38 pages in and we have got no where. The simple fact is this...Goodes feels as it is racist....so it is.

How do some of you not understand that. Someone needs to take the high road but unfortunately both sides dont have the capacity to do so.
I think it's important that a group of white people should decide what is and isn't racially offensive.

No mate, nobody is ignoring them.

They're asking you to explain why, if "staging" and "sniping" are the real reasons, why is the abuse Goodes is copping an order of magnitude greater than any other player?
No it's not. Have you heard the crap Selwood constantly cops from hawthorn and Collingwood fans for the past five years for his head shrugging. It's as bad as Goodes and has been going longer. The media just don't talk about it.

They're asking you to explain why, if "staging" and "sniping" are the real reasons, why is the abuse Goodes is copping an order of magnitude greater than any other player?

If you dig deep enough it stems from the australian of the year award and calling that collingwood supporter out....but it has nothing to do with race....:confused:

As opposed to "blanket statements" like "political correctness"?

"People taking issue with an Indigenous player celebrating his heritage by performing a dance are stupid"
"People taking issue with an Indigenous man speaking up for his people are paranoid morons"
"People taking issue with an Indigenous player calling out when he hears someone in the crowd racially abusing him are idiots"
"The continued and vitriolic abuse of an Indigenous player is embarrassing and a sad indictment on the people of this country"

Which of these "blanket statements" falls under this horrible thing that is Political Correctness?
None! What's your point? Political correctness is about failing to address issues because of perceived political backlash. Your post bears no relevance to the point I made.

None! What's your point? Political correctness is about failing to address issues because of perceived political backlash. Your post bears no relevance to the point I made.
So you agree with all those statements then?

If you do then we're in complete agreeance.

McGuire called him an ape on radio five days after that 13 year old girl incident.

Goodes stood up against racism after the two incidents and that's the reason why he got Australian of the Year. Booing Goodes is not on.
That has nothing to do why most people boo Goodes. Most people, with exception of the odd bigot, respected him for doing that.

So let me get this right it's ok to boo any other player in the AFL but not the precious, sanctimonious Adam Goodes.

If I do boo him then I am a racist.

So now there is a special rule for Adam that you are not allowed to boo him as if you do, although you might do so because he is a flog, it is now racist as it is assumed that some people have booed him for racist reasons and thus we are now all painted with same brush.

Cool. Let's make a special exception and treat Adam different to any other AFL footballer.

Treating someone different from the rest is all about exclusion and not inclusion. And of course treating someone different for who they are has nothing to do with racism.

Talk about PC going full circle and now eating it's own tail.

AFL thinking they can dictate social mentality. They tried doing this with their stance on the drug policy and we have seen how that has worked out.

Of course because my opinion dictates that it is ok to boo him then I am an uneducated racist hick.

Dude! Political Correctness prefers to be called Identity Politics these days. Don't be so offensive!

I'm sure there won't be any booing at the library in two weeks the crowd would need to awake first, but I'm sure it will continue at the other grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I call that player a flog? You asked for a definition of the term, obviously you don't like it.
Nothing to do with my approval or not of your definition.

It was clearly a rhetorical question. I'm saying if someone gets booed every time he gets the ball merely because some anonymous internet nebbishes have called him a "flog"*, what do we call a player who has viciously bashed a member of the public to the point of permanent brain damage, and shouldn't we boo him every time he appears in public, let alone runs onto a footy field, let alone gets the ball?

If not, why not?

*meaningful definition pending consensus from the hive mind.

Do tell... ?

“Europeans, and the governments that have run our country, have raped, killed and stolen,” he wrote in Fairfax newspapers.

“The people who benefited most from those rapes, those killings and that theft ... turn away in disgust when someone seeks to expose it.”
http://australian-news.net/articles/view.php?id=204

My ancestors apparently are rapists thieves and murderers

What did he expect saying stuff like this ? What did he expect making a 13 year old girl " the face of racism"

It's divisive not inclusive
If booing a tool that says that is the definition of racist ...we'll .... Sigh
It's a sad state of affairs that my dislike of a person because of what they SAY makes me racist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it just made racists uncomfortable.
No, it was just racist. If a white player ran up to a group of Aboriginal supporters and made out he threw a grenade into them I guess the only people who would be unconfortable would be racist Aboriginals.
Until you hold the same standard to everyone then opinions like yours will never be legit.

He's not getting booed because he's aboriginal. That's far too simplistic.

He gets booed because he had the guts to call out racism when he saw it. He stands up for an issue barely spoken about. Something that has been ignored and played off ever since we got here. He's a public figure making this a public issue, and the crowds don't like it.

I am going to assume you are not that old, so here is the real deal:

Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 23.55.34.png

When Nicky did this, he stopped us all in our tracks. He did this in a time when he cold have rightly expected been bashed by fans after the game, or even dropped from the side for being controversial—amongst other things. He was probably racially vilified 10-20 000 times that day, and I doubt anyone even bothered with the term 'ape'. What Goodes and the media are doing by spinning this all up is absolute BS. Fair enough when Goodes had a gut-full and said something about that girl—but now I don't know what he is trying to achieve anymore. What's worse is these journo heroes going around licking their lips thinking, they can educate the masses and legitimise the 'fourth estate' role. If they were serious journo's they would not be working in the entertainment industry in the first place.

If I do boo him then I am a racist.
Nobody is saying that.

The issue is that there is a disturbing racist element within the crowd that loves the booing.

Don't cover for them by joining in. They are hijacking your perfectly legitimate disgust with Goodes' sniping, diving, cheap-shotting, and divisive Australian of the Year spech-ifying.

No, it was just racist. If a white player ran up to a group of Aboriginal supporters and made out he threw a grenade into them I guess the only people who would be unconfortable would be racist Aboriginals.
Until you hold the same standard to everyone then opinions like yours will never be legit.
I must've missed the bit where Goodes and Jetta specifically targeted white people. Must be some dance to get that message across.

But all the reasons are unbelievably hypocritical- because the flog/diving/complaining criteria has been met by MANY other players current day and the past and NOT ONE player has been booed as consistently or aggressively as Adam Goodes.

you may have overlooked a few reasons there.....just say it mate...please stop booing Goodes.

Nothing is more PC than people denying there's a racist element to the booing.

Note I said "element". I am not calling everyone who boos Goodes a racist. You can never be too careful on BF.

He's not getting booed because he's aboriginal. That's far too simplistic.

He gets booed because he had the guts to call out racism when he saw it. He stands up for an issue barely spoken about. Something that has been ignored and played off ever since we got here. He's a public figure making this a public issue, and the crowds don't like it.
Barely spoken about?

Gees we have an indigineous round! Wher is the European round? The Muslim round?

I'm glad you added "where he saw it" because that bewildered kid he picked out of the crowd sure looked like she was telling the truth when she said it's because 'he looks like one'.

I remember seeing a picture of pendles with a pathetic mo and dreadlocks, and saying he looked like a Mexican pedophile!

Maybe if he kept the politics of the sporting field, the booing for that part would stop.

Maybe if he stopped the cheap shots, that booing would stop

He knew darn well that spear stunt would get a reaction, well he got it, so he should damn well shut up about it.

My ancestors apparently are rapists thieves and murderers

What did he expect saying stuff like this ? What did he expect making a 13 year old girl " the face of racism"
I know mine are.

We know he didn't specifically look for a 13 year old girl and think "she's an easy target". For all the wailing over his divisive actions, people seem pretty quick to ignore what he said later - that you can't blame the girl etc. Why did you leave out that part of the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back