Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what age do you think it can be appropriate to pull someone up on racism?

Do you mean pull them up or shame them in front of a nation when once investigated it is clear they were unaware it was a racist comment and they are 13?

For good or ill, if you look at the history of the hundred years or so after the first fleet, even if the Brits didn't do it, realistically, some Europeans were going to colonise/conquer Australia. If the Brits hadn't done it, then this country probably would have ended up like Africa and divided up between a bunch of colonial powers.

It's tough to say if it would have been better or worse for the indigenous people, but compared to most, the Brits were *relatively* nice, so more likely than not, things would have been worse for them.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that they should be grateful to the Brits who dispossessed them but the fact of the matter is, the Aboriginals of Australia were going to cop it badly regardless, and it could have been worse.

If indigenous back then had made objects out of all the gold lying around, the spanish and portuguese would have been all over it, but that's just sliding doors

There are racists who boo. Anyone who boos is supporting the racists. If you are booing Goodes you should be ashamed of yourself.

Any opposition supporter who boos Goodes anywhere near me will be getting reported to security.

You are reprehensible if you do that. I hope you do though. You'll soon find out this shaming tactic is wafer thin. You could't expect to enforce it without outlawing all booing across the whole sport. Do you still defend it expulsion?

... Anyone who boos is supporting the racists. ... Any opposition supporter who boos Goodes anywhere near me will be getting reported to security.
Nice one, you can get them thrown out for being a nasty pasty.

It's preceiely this type of priggish, self-congratulatory stance that's fuelling the problem. You've got no right to impose your interpretation of booing on anyone else. If it becomes racial vilification then I'll be right with you, but until that point it's simply none of your business.

There are racists who boo. Anyone who boos is supporting the racists. If you are booing Goodes you should be ashamed of yourself.

Any opposition supporter who boos Goodes anywhere near me will be getting reported to security.

Source ?

My ancestors were forced from their homes on trumped up charges as the English forced the most hostile Scots out of the Highlands, and then on trumped up charges sent them and the starved Irish as convicts to the other end of the world to work as slave labour in a hellish prison camp, wiping out the native people of the area who weren't seen as relevant enough to warrant considering whether there was any right for the colonialists to set up and destroy their land.

I'm proud that from such a horrific and unjust event a pretty great nation is now established, but I think anyone who is proud of the horrors along the way is kidding themselves. It is worth remembering that on any and all Australia Days.

If what you say is true then you are talking about a small selection of your ancestors from 200 years ago. Every one of your 32 great great great grandparents, and all their descendents, did what they could to survive in often very hard times, some of their groups in conflict with each other at different times. You would not be here without the things they had to do. Maybe think about that on Australia Day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The result of that would be the security guard laughing in your face and telling you that people can boo whomever they please. As long as racial abuse is not used, people won't be ejected and rightly so.

He might even eject you for wasting his time with your stupidity.

Do you mean pull them up or shame them in front of a nation when once investigated it is clear they were unaware it was a racist comment and they are 13?
Its not clear at all when I was that age I'm certain I'd know its racist. Your just taking her word for it

There are racists who go to the footy.
Anyone who goes to the footy is supporting the racists.
If you go to the footy when Goodes is playing you should be ashamed of yourself.

Same logic....Pretty silly isn't it.

Its not clear at all when I was that age I'm certain I'd know its racist. Your just taking her word for it

<sigh>
Let's hope when Adam has kids they never step a foot out of line ......
Must be tiring being so perfect

goodes will still get booed jetta wont and the media will claim its racist goodes will have a sook like he usually does and blame that people dont like him because of his race sook not accept people dont like him because hes a ******** win australian of the year have a nice cold pint and wait for all this to blow over

One of the best 50 or so players in the history of the game. Guess that makes as much sense as anything else.

not saying he wasnt or isnt a good plaer

simple fact is the bloke is an utter sook who get preferential treatment due to sydneys need for success by the AFL.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons why he is booed and thats not just him. People boo Hird, people boo ballantyne people boo crowley. None of thats seen as racism.

Why should this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back