Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are racists who boo. Anyone who boos is supporting the racists. If you are booing Goodes you should be ashamed of yourself.

Any opposition supporter who boos Goodes anywhere near me will be getting reported to security.

It took until page 84 to arrive, but here it is. The worst post in the entire thread.

And some times they were a pack of slavery loving, smack pushing, murderous flogs

If what you say is true then you are talking about a small selection of your ancestors from 200 years ago. Every one of your 32 great great great grandparents, and all their descendents, did what they could to survive in often very hard times, some of their groups in conflict with each other at different times. You would not be here without the things they had to do. Maybe think about that on Australia Day.

I've always thought that once the crowd have paid their money for a ticket they can cheer or boo as they see fit.

Most of the time the booing from AFL crowds is pantomime with no real spite or venom in it. Sometimes it's directed at certain opposition players who have a bit of a history against your team, I for one booed Chris Judd after he won a Brownlow for elbowing Pavlich in the face.

It depends on why the Eagles fans were booing. Was it really spiteful and motivated by racial hatred? Were any fans surveyed and interviewed as they left the game. otherwise it's just guesswork and attributing motives to people that might not be true.
Lots of other players are/have been booed at times but not with such force and intent. It's certainly motivated by spite and malice against Goodes as a person. Wanting to denigrate him. Probably a hard core of booers and a lot of followers thinking it's fun to add to the noise.

If you, or anyone here, serially boos Goodes, tell us your motive. Would you say it to his face?

I would be very curious to know the outcome of this if it were to happen
If by curious you mean pissing your pants laughing I'd see you.

Call the police! He said boo! At the football!'

* me. I doubt you'd get kicked out of a library for saying Boo.

not saying he wasnt or isnt a good plaer

simple fact is the bloke is an utter sook who get preferential treatment due to sydneys need for success by the AFL.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons why he is booed and thats not just him. People boo Hird, people boo ballantyne people boo crowley. None of thats seen as racism.

Why should this?
Oh for pities sake. Hird again creeps into a thread for exactly no reason

Two comments I've seen in the media that have been difficult to swallow; first was Roos suggestion that if Goodes says it is racist, then it's racist. Sorry, but that is just plain stupid. Second was one commentators wish that anyone booing this weekend get a "clip around the ears" from other supporters. Inciting violence among supporters ... is this what it's come to?

The initial event was using his Australia Day speech given in the capacity of AOTY to criticise the the founding of the country by going on about "Invasion Day". He slagged off the country in which he's become a millionaire and a celebrity, and denigrated the community that had just given him an important award.

Goodes clearly has little time for the wider community. That's his right, but booing is not an unreasonable response. Lleyton Hewitt found the same thing when he called the public a bunch of dckheads.

People don't dislike Goodes because of his race, they dislike him because he's preachy, rude and hypocritical. Being a media and AFL darling probably doesn't help either.
You're typical of so many people in this country who don't understand people like Goodes' point on indigenous affairs, but the worst part is you have zero interest in trying to understand it either.

Just say ISIS take over Australia with little regard for its current inhabitants, 200 years (of dubious at best relations) later and white Australians are the minority and every year the ISIS folks like to celebrate the day they landed and took over and everyone should be smiling and happy. (Oh and you still don't officially exist in the constitution by the way.) I'm imagining there would be some white people who would not be overly enthusiastic about 'celebrating' this day, especially if some of the negative aspects which originated from that date still existed. But don't raise anything about it cos you don't wanna sound 'preachy'.

I'm obviously not comparing anyone to ISIS or whatever, it's just an example to perhaps give you a different perspective and encourage you to maybe use some empathy to try and understand someone else's point of view instead of just crapping all over it.

I think his political stance makes him a poor choice for AOTY, and I think that his activism/posturing is a big factor in the booing. He's among the most priviliged in society, and his self-portrayal as a victim is ridiculous.

While he is personally priviliged, he's representative of a larger group who, in mainstream Australian society, are not priviliged. If he (or other indigenous people with a platform) doesn't speak up, who will? Many indigenous Australians don't have a voice and their arguments would not be heard. With Goodes, he IS heard and I think that is a good and important thing. I also agree that his activism and political beliefs are a big factor in the booing - the problem is that his activism and political beliefs are only on race issues, so when people boo that, it is inevitably entangled with the "racist" banner. I think it's aa complicated issue and not one entirely brought on by racism but I feel like, given it's clear that HE takes it as a racist taunt and that NOT BOOING someone is a very easy choice to make, people should just acquiesce. Seems childish, boneheaded and pointlesss to insist on continued booing because "They can't tell me what to do!"

*not claiming that is YOUR attitude, BTW - just extrapolating on my own thoughts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are racists who boo. Anyone who boos is supporting the racists. If you are booing Goodes you should be ashamed of yourself.

Any opposition supporter who boos Goodes anywhere near me will be getting reported to security.

For BOOING? Or if they say a racist slur?

So how bout instead of answering these things with sarcastic, condescending one liners, you give me some kind of idea to what end you think this will or should lead us all?
You can't sidestep the invalidity of your request just by disparaging the lack of a response and asking the question again.

What you're saying is that you can't have an opinion against something unless you have a ready-made alternative idea.

You're typical of so many people in this country who don't understand people like Goodes' point on indigenous affairs, but the worst part is you have zero interest in trying to understand it either.

Just say ISIS take over Australia with little regard for its current inhabitants, 200 years (of dubious at best relations) later and white Australians are the minority and every year the ISIS folks like to celebrate the day they landed and took over and everyone should be smiling and happy. (Oh and you still don't officially exist in the constitution by the way.) I'm imagining there would be some white people who would not be overly enthusiastic about 'celebrating' this day, especially if some of the negative aspects which originated from that date still existed. But don't raise anything about it cos you don't wanna sound 'preachy'.

I'm obviously not comparing anyone to ISIS or whatever, it's just an example to perhaps give you a different perspective and encourage you to maybe use some empathy to try and understand someone else's point of view instead of just crapping all over it.

How do we fix it? Obviously you can't evict all the anglos this late on in the piece? Or can we? Antarctica is free.

Because Thomas took his initial boos on the chin and had a laugh about it. Goodes on the other hand had a big hissy fit which prompted his boos to grow.

Also, I've genuinely seen games where Thomas does in fact get booed with every touch.

Can you name these games?

Or are you just talking crap?

Also can you post Goodes complaining/having a hissy fit about the boos?

Or... more crap?

Well, rather than invoke a hypothetical in this strange ISIS invasion, take a look at continental Europe. You can't step foot on an inch of soil that hasn't be previously owned by another, and been fought over. And yet following your reasoning every single person who lives there must be sorry, without necessarily knowing who to, how many people, or why.

Ridiculous.

There are racists who go to the footy.
Anyone who goes to the footy is supporting the racists.
If you go to the footy when Goodes is playing you should be ashamed of yourself.

Same logic....Pretty silly isn't it.

There are racists who eat pies.
Anyone who eats pies is supporting the racists.
If you eat pies you should be ashamed of yourself.

Any opposition supporter who eats pies anywhere near me will be getting reported to security.

:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back