Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Cyril for the things he does on the football field and not for his personal beliefs or view points.

I dislike Adam for the things he does on a football field ergo i boo him.

But hey now I'm painted as a racist and bigot for treating Adam like i treat any other person.

So let's not boo Adam so we don't let racists get away with it right. Unfortunately you have just segregated Adam out as being different and treated differently.

Segregation, treating people differently, forgive me i must be stupid but isn't that something Adam is striving to get rid of? Yet we have to do exactly that. The irony in this stance is ridiculous.
Well the problem is the vagueness of people's motivations. You are strong in your beliefs and I believe you have no racism behind your booing so it would be unfair to label you as being one.

But some people are actually booing him for reasons that have been born out of racist attitudes, and as a result it's hard to differentiate which individuals are doing what and why, therefore by continuing to boo you're adding momentum to a larger group who at least for some people are being seen as behaving in a deliberately vilifying manner.

It's like the swastika, it was a symbol long before the Nazis started using it, but people learned to associate it with something negative. If you were doodling swastikas because you like the aesthetics of the symbol, you need to be aware of the larger context and that people may assume you are supporting the negative aspects that symbol represents.

I don't think Goodes should be be treated differently by saying you can't boo him, but the bigger problem is that he IS being treated differently by the crowds. This isn't comparable to anything else that has happened before. Not to this extent

You know what FP, the are several components to this issue, there are 100 pages of comments
which address many of these.

I appreciate you think there is a racial element, but FFS why dont you spend 2 minutes
of your life on the other elements.

Simple question FP, these 1000's of fans who boo Goodes, do you actually think that they are all racist?

Just say, now if you cant, how about you consider the non racial aspects of this issue.

Christ, so many missing the point.

It's the loud incessant booing EVERY time he goes near the ball. Not just when he gives a free or gets away with one. No other player has received this treatment for such a sustained period of time. Ever.

Adam brings these hard truths to the front of mind and this is why he is boo'd by everyone who "loves their country"

The only hard truth I associate with Adam Goodes is that if you are one of the AFL's poster boys you can act like a flog on the field because the umps and MRP will turn a blind eye to every cynical act you engage in.

But you are showing you have no idea about this. It's ok to say you see no real evidence of on field actions. I'll reply with I see no real evidence of racism. Prove me wrong?

Against Hawthorn on a number of occasions he has sniped people. The Hawk fans have not liked him for years, I think it was a snipe on Gibbo and there has been another on him and one on Shiels from recent memory. What irates many Hawk supporters is he never gets called for it or penalised because he is Goodes. I'd suggest that protection is motivated by the fact he's in a non-football state and indigenous.

Goodes, the Swans and the AFL have brought this on himself/themself. There is no doubt a racist element. I am sure 99% of dislikers are not part of that.

I think he is a sniper, has been overly protected as a player, gifted awards he did not deserve and constantly media whores himself to get in the news. His taking on a 13 year old was un-Australian in the eyes of many, irrespective of the terrible thing she said.

His war dance bullshit did more to harm relations then address them. I have indigenous mates that think he is a "fake flog" for doing what he did and said if he did that against their team they'd want to go at him.

But we are all racist...

(shakes head, how ignorant the moral high ground is)

Plenty of players have done a lot more and continue to snipe and play dirty. Yet Goodes for some reason cops it the most out of anyone. If he gets special treatment then that's an umpiring issue and not his if anything other than you having a cry over bad decisions.

The finger pointing is more about the bigger picture than it is about him. He knows this. I have heard Majak Daw talk before regarding racism in sports and the abuse he has received from the spectators and he made a good point about standing up to it. As a professional athlete with in a public forum he said the racism does not really bother him as he has copped it for a lot of his life.
But for everyone that can get over it there are people that struggle with it. Standing up against abuse was not about ensuring he didn't cop it, but if it meant that a young player at the local ground on a Sunday afternoon does not get abused, because the ignorant dad across the fence hesitates yelling something due to Adam Goodes for example bringing up the topic in the news this week, then it serves the purpose.

I doubt you were campaigning for any other of the nominees for AOTY, so don't go on about undeserved rewards. Especially when you think he just got it only for pointing the finger when he does a lot of outstanding work with Australian youth. Whilst this went down he emphasised the point of educating and not punishing the young girl, who was a good example of the existence of racism as it just highlights the problem is not going away. With this the girl will end up being better for it and I am sure Adam will ensure that too.

The war dance I thought was a great response, as it got people talking again about the issue that exists. Not only that, but as an acknowledgement to the Young Indigenous team he did it for, it will do great things for their confidence as people if their role model can honour them like that. We complain about having no characters in the game these days, but a great character emerges with a tribute to his community and people cry about it. Maybe they should get over it.

Last edited:
Succinctly I am emphatically satisfied with exactly what I wrote in every absolute sense.

I can say that categorically as a determination.

So if you have an issue, please don't be wishy washy, just explain your different position with a plausible explanation please with relevance and substance.

What you are saying here is of little value. The war-dance was a reaction against overt racism. If you rally against the war-dance, you are with the racists. You can hide all you like but I tender that hiding is cowardice. If you are a racist, then say you are. If you are not, then support those who are rallying against it.

Wasn't born but would've been a fan . Sadly it wrecked his career.

As I said sport and politics don't mix..imo.

Not having a go, I just don't understand.

You would have been a fan (had you been alive at the time), yet you don't think sport and politics should mix?

I say should because it's apparent that they have and do mix (the Olympics is a mixture of sport and politics at its core).

Can you elaborate a bit more on what compels you to dislike him for the colour of his skin?

I'm not being a smart arse, I'm genuinely interested considering you're a willing to be honest.
Nothing at all, I was being the smartarse. I don't like Goodes (only because of 2012) but I respect him for what he did and is trying to do.

So lets get this straight. If I do something like Boo Adam Goodes, even if its not due to his race, if he is offended by it I should think about it from his point of view and change. If he does something that offends me however, I should see it from his point of view and not be offended.
Seems legit.

Do you not think at all that the booing has gone way too far? Sure boo him if he actually commits a dirty act. But to boo him for absolutely no reason at all if you actually WATCH THE GAME, then Goodes has every right to think that the booing is racially motivated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, humans have not been invading one another in 40,000 year blocks. They were doing it every couple hundred AND the ones being invaded had the opportunity to FLEE. It is not the same.

It's hard to let go when the aggressors are still there and still do not recognise you as the first owners.

Adam brings these hard truths to the front of mind and this is why he is boo'd by everyone who "loves their country"
What happened in Australia has happened numerous times around the World and many of the nations are still under the rule of their invaders, none of this is new.

I'm also pretty sure most, not all, new Australians accept that the indigenous people were here first, but does any one really own the land, shouldn't it be here for the benefit of all of us?

We are all humans after all, no matter what colour we happen to be, it's not like any of us is given a choice at birth.

The World needs to start working together as one so that not just a small percentage of people on the Planet can enjoy the benefits of a living in a first World country, or we can carry on with accusations and finger pointing and nothing will ever change.

First of all, his implication wasn't absurd at all. Being offended isn't really a choice. If you're genuinely offended by something, it is based on what happened in your life up to then. You don't just decide to be offended. You are offended and then decide what to do about it.

Second of all, I don't think calling Goodes an animal in a thread on possible racism including an incident that involved almost exactly that (go back to the zoo) is really the right analogy to start making.

You're either racist or insensitive. Perhaps both.
If being offended isn't a personal choice then there should be some objective way to measure offense. There isn't, because it relies wholly on the individuals perception. Which can change.

Having no control over the offense YOU TAKE (offense can only be taken, not given) implies no free will. By saying Goodes has no choice other than to be offended YOU are saying he has no free will. YOU are likening Goodes to an animal.

Nope. And not supporter group is racist. At least, I don't think so.

But there is a racial element - most supporters I'd hope are genuinely not racist and some of them would've booed Goodes. However, there is undeniably a racist component to it.
And that's the issue - some people are booing due to racism. When one boos at every game with every possession for "non-racist" reasons can one be confident a heap of other people aren't racist booers? I know there are racist booers - heaps of them - because I read heaps of racist bullsh&t here! Is it good encouraging or participating in that?

This whole I'm not racist but I don't like the way he has taken a stance on racism argument so therefore I boo is really daft. People are posting here, using the media etc to talk about how Goodes has raised race as an issue in the game. Some people might not be into it but FFS boo every time he goes near the ball? Not a terribly productive way to discuss racial politics.

BTW - I KNOW not every booer is racist. Some see Goodes as a Juddy/Selwood/Mitchell type and boo accordingly (no offence Sammy - sill love you!) But some of these people have stopped because they know this is now getting too ugly.

FFS - as I said before, the question was when did i start booing goodes.

Unless you can pinpoint me booing at 3mins 50 - Im going to have to call you a liar.

It isnt actually me booing him in that video.

Why talk about robbo at all than- he never accused you of starting to boo at start of game. The main overriding point is that the boos were brought into the game and started early- why say watch the game and not listen to Robbo? Robbo didn't say javaguice booed from start to finish.

Not having a go, I just don't understand.

You would have been a fan (had you been alive at the time), yet you don't think sport and politics should mix?

I say should because it's apparent that they have and do mix (the Olympics is a mixture of sport and politics at its core).

The rubbish that goes on politically behind the scenes pre Olympics is another example of why they shouldn't mix.

Of course they do mix but I just don't think their should.

If Adam Goodes believes that the Boo-ing he receives is racially driven, then he should walk away from the game for good to show how serious of an issue he thinks it really is.

You know what FP, the are several components to this issue, there are 100 pages of comments
which address many of these.

I appreciate you think there is a racial element, but FFS why dont you spend 2 minutes
of your life on the other elements.

Simple question FP, these 1000's of fans who boo Goodes, do you actually think that they are all racist?

Just say, now if you cant, how about you consider the non racial aspects of this issue.

No they are not all racist. Some of them probably are. Some of those that are may not realise it. Telling Goodes to harden up or stop sooking or to stop choosing to be offended probably puts you in the latter category.

If Adam Goodes believes that the Boo-ing he receives is racially driven, then he should walk away from the game for good to show how serious of an issue he thinks it really is.
He might do it. But then again if it is a big enough issue for him he might not want to let the actual (as opposed to the casual) racists win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back