Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is just beyond belief that anybody can argue the booing is legitimate and non racist. He has copped more for a longer period of time than anyone I have ever seen in my 20 years following this sport. Nobody in their right mind can seriously think he deserves more abuse than anyone else in this league.

Not all the booers were racist at first. But at this point after the months and years of it happening week in and week out when you know precisely how it is being interpreted. If you boo him you are racist. Each and every one of you. Fans of my club and any other. Enough of the rubbish excuses. You know what you're doing when you make that decision.

Mate each to their own.

If you honestly can't separate different circumstances and let something go, then I don't know.

Hope for Goodesy sake it doesn't affect him too much. Hope for your sake that no one in your family ever has to go through something like this.

He's being paid a salary to play football...... FOOTBALL, a sport where you can be cheered or booed to all and sundry. If he doesn't like to be booed then retire and do something else.

Some relativity please:

What if the haka was never done previously and 1 Kiwi player did it at Suncorp directly at the Fanatics part of the crowd.... what do you recon would happen?

Mark Ella just came out on SBS news and said that it would have been more appropriate to do the "war dance" before the game (like the hakka). He also said that he does not believe (he hopes) that the booing is racially motivated.

They way I see it as an opposition fan at a Swans game you have two choices when Goodes has the ball.
  1. You Boo Goodes and express your displeasure towards him. You join in a chorus with your team's fans also expressing their displeasure towards Goodes. You may be clear in your own mind that your feelings towards Goodes are not racially motivated, you cannot be certain of the motivation of others and you may be inadvertantly supporting a more sinister cause. In the process you join what is becoming an increasingly pathetic campaign where the negative reception being afforded to a champion of the game is disproportionate to the "other reasons" (staging, cheap shots) Goodes is being criticised. You may be a bully, you may not be aware that you are bullying. You don't question why it is happening you just join in because everyone else is doing it. You do it because the authorities are telling you not to and you fancy yourself as a bit of a rebel. Maybe you are racist and aren't ashamed, maybe you don't know you are racist, maybe you feel confronted by people labelling you racist and don't know how to act, you may not be racist, but you are booing in concert with some people who are. It achieves nothing, doesn't help your team and judging by Goodes' form isn't putting him off his game. Regardless of your reasons why, what you are doing is a little bit sad, not funny and not original. It is however hurting Goodes and others and you are contributing to that, and if there is a personal benefit in doing so I don't know what it is.
  2. You don't Boo Goodes every time he gets the ball. You save it for when he takes a dive, hits a player high or late, or for when he is lining up for a goal after the siren. If he transgresses in a serious way early in the game, then Boo him every time he goes near it, just like you would any other player. Act how you normally would, Don't be a sheep.

How about the fans who pay hard earned to watch a game be left to their own devices, and not act like sheep like the AFL and its boys club of ex players, commentators, tee vee hosts want you to.

All of a sudden a person who boo's at the footy has morphed into a racist and a bully.

The SJW's have finally arrived en masse.

Are you serious? he gets booed every week

It's not the same intensity and it's clearly evident .....those players get lightly booed and you can certainly hear the tones of the Goodes booing is meant to torment him

And it's really really evident

Name an example where it has been this bad? Just one.

Week upon week, team upon team, before the ball is bounced, for non footy related reasons.

Not even Jobe at the height of the Essendon saga got that.

Name just one other example.
Honestly though, people are not booing him because he is indigenous! It's because he is a w***er and the crowd know that booing him is getting to him. If it is affecting his play of course the opposition crowd will boo him! If it was a race thing why aren't other indigenous players being booed?!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hutchy the fat **** making a late charge for trying to be most offended. Disgusted to be Australian he said...campaigner lives in the US for 7 months a year.

over the top

Well being perceived to be racist would get you sacked pretty ******* quick in the media, so you have to bend over backwards to show you aren't. Except if you're Eddie McGuire, you seem to be able to get away with it.

Anyone else catch Dermott's meltdown that made completely no sense on SEN? Biggest backfire I've ever seen. What a flog he is. It starts around the 11:40 minute mark after 11 minutes of truth and sense from Rebecca Wilson.

Can Rebecca Wilson have a class action taken against her for slander on behalf of middle class Australia?

Rebecca Wilson, as a media personality does arguably not live in a world that relates to the will of the people because the TV channels are free to air propped up by not the will of the people but advertisers and licensing arrangements!

OMG, Rebecca Wilson did not not just say attached the word racist with the group of middle class Australia did she not? Then later she seemed to deny any defamation argument, are my ears deceiving me?

Last edited:
It is with Hawthorn sadly. I think it has a lot to do with 2012 though.

I'm not so sure why it started off so apparently with Hawthorn. I guess after losing a premiership to the Swans in 2012 with an inflated salary cap had something to do with it. Maybe there's just too many disconnected, well-off Eastern suburbs w***ers in the midst :p

If you want to go that far, I burn your house, build my own on the ruins and lock you and successive generations in the cellar. Then blame you for it. Then decide to let you out of the cellar and apologise, but only after a generation or two of legal action. And you still have to find somewhere else to live.

Chief. Are you renting a house owned by an indigenous Australian? Or are you just talking the talk whilst actually in possession of stolen property?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the best you can do? For real?

It's completely related to his stance on his culture.

You're lame excuse just proves it even more.
Because you know do you? Anything here is heresay as everyone boos him for different reasons.

The haka is an accepted cultural tradition but it's still meant to antagonise.

if a precious all black went all haka on a small section of opposition crowd, in the middle of a game, they may well get booed. i know you think this is analagous to the goodes situation, but i disagree

Why are we not as accepting of indigenous players doing a war dance to celebrate?

'we' (as you say) did accept the challenge to go to war. what's not to understand?

the haka is not a parallel to the goodes situation. the haka is done to the opposition - the very people you are about to (legally) physically abuse (stomp, hit, tackle, ruck) and may end up having a punch-on with.

if goodes wants peace then a recently made up, and in no usual sense 'traditional' war dance is probably not the gesture to endear himself. he could have led the aborigines from his, and the opposition team around the ground and done a welcoming ceremony with burning gum leaves and stuff, before the game. he's just not doing it right, obviously.

...as if the indigenous players aren't allowed to do something indigenous.

i don't quite get you here, unless you are conflating 'indigenous' with 'traditional'? in which case i answered above. is there a hidden premise here that indigenous automatically equals good? i hope i didn't miss your point too badly.

Hope for Goodesy sake it doesn't affect him too much. Hope for your sake that no one in your family ever has to go through something like this.

Go through what? Being Boo'ed?

If someone racially said something, no problems, but if someone is "boo-ing" him because they simply don't like him, don't sit behind your monitor and tell me that's racist.

I doubt I am allowed to start a thread on this but could Swans fans defeat this booing with their own chant?

If they did a loud boisterous GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODES every time he touches the ball that sounded similar to a BOOOOOO except it became a symbol of support would that limit the impact of other teams fans booing him?

Hell it is too late now but if Goodes had addressed this a few months back in response to a question about boos directed at him by saying "I thought they were saying GOO-DES" and some stupid hashtag started of #IwassayingGoodes around the place we would not be discussing this right now.

* it. I am not on twitter but someone start that handle and let it spread. We can defeat this booing meme with another meme rather than having to so badly polarise football fans.

#IwassayingGoodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back