Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He proberbly wouldnt like it as he is a gentleman and wouldnt boo anyone. Thats not the issue. The issue is Adam has brought alot of this on himself. He chose to confront the supporters with his war dance and now he doesnt like the backlash.
Not once has he thought that maybe he should look at himself. Everyone else is to blame.

Not everyone, just the dickheads booing day in day out and for every touch he gets.

How about the fans who pay hard earned to watch a game be left to their own devices, and not act like sheep like the AFL and its boys club of ex players, commentators, tee vee hosts want you to.

All of a sudden a person who boo's at the footy has morphed into a racist and a bully.

The SJW's have finally arrived en masse.
Better idea: how about you not act like racist, mindless scumbags hiding behind the anonymity of crowds and the internet?

I thought several people got thrown out of the stadium last week for actual racist slurs.
The assuption had to be that i will be thrown out of the stadium this that impinges on my freedom of speech, although the context of booing can be many things but the special rule now created all for Adam means that i can't do that without consequences this i am feeling vilified and maybe Adam should be thrown out of the stadium as well for doing that to me.

You do see the ridiculousness of the situation surely.

Or are my feelings less relevant than Adams?

Well, in this context I would suggest your views are less relevent that Goodes'.

The people thrown out last week were thrown out for actual racial slurs and that is still not limiting their freedom of speach. If you boo, it seems very unlikey that you will get thrown out but in this current environment, you never know. What is the special rule? I have not heard about this. Freedom of speach does not mean that you don't get villified for your views. We are discussing someone who is clearly getting vilified for exercising his freedom of speech and sharing his views.

You mean the same premiership that you lost on one of your home grounds, umpire rort (11 extra free kicks), half my team hopping on half a leg (Adam beat you with a torn PCL ffs :D), all the momentum in the 3rd and 4th quarters and Mitch Morton and Sam Reid as our go-to men up forward. LOL! Will never get over that one.
Yup, the one you guys won with an extra mil in the cap.

The swans winning a flag during the COLA era is kind of like the Eiffel tower in Las Vegas. Still kind of cool. You're free to enjoy it. But it'll never be as impressive or as important as the real thing ;)

Feel free to talk about any footballing encounters since that game by the way :p If you're not careful, you'll start sounding like a Carlton supporter.

Everyone involved has handled this so poorly.

The booing started off as a bit of a laugh.
The AFL have given it oxygen, and made it a sport.
Goodes has antagonized the situation by doing that war dance.
His Mum getting involved and calling people racist doesn't help.

They've tried to put a fire out by throwing petrol on it - it's ******* ridiculous.

Almost as ridiculous as Mickey O'Loughlin lecturing anyone on what is disgusting or disgraceful behavior; maybe he can pay the crowd for their silence?

mitchell johnson likes this

How is my saying that I've studied Australian history 'hectoring,' old chap? Nice defensive attitude you have there.

'If you really have studied history' ... Right, because that's something people make up on the Internet. 'Ahem! History major over here! I spend my life amongst the library stacks and have about zero career prospects after graduation. One day you'll be as cool as me.'

Being a history major means I understand Empiricism as being one of (and the first) methods of historiography. Somewhat fallen out of favour in the face of 'social history' which is not say any good piece of historiography does not still need to be evidence-based. But certainly historians are more open to ideas of interpretation since the Annales school etc.

Black armband history... Whenever I hear that term I want laugh or punch a wall. Basically, if you don't subscribe to the idea that early colonialists in Australia were loveable, salt of the earth folk, who created the myth of mateship and the heroic pioneer, and that aboriginal Australians didn't simply die out in a passive, gentle way through the spread of diseases, you are taking an "overtly pessimistic" view of Australia's colonial past.
Just as well you have history covered because you know SFA about the present.

Surely you don't believe that white australia deny's its colonial past and how brutal it was. The issue is that many white Australians see it as less relevant to the future than indigenous people do.

While the past is held over the heads of white Australia, reconciliation will be a long road to travel. That is one of the reasons Goodes put many people off side.

I have Goodes in the same bracket as Akermanis, Jack Riewoldt, Crowley and Ballantyne. Their on field antics and actions annoy me and it has nothing to do about race. We have quite a few indigenous boys at our club and I love them all.

Hutchy the fat **** making a late charge for trying to be most offended. Disgusted to be Australian he said...campaigner lives in the US for 7 months a year.

over the top
Its like a competition with who can appear the most offended. Who can appear the most enlightened, the most PC.

The fact is society is different now and people are a lot more sensitive - the days of going to the footy getting drunk and swearing your head off are gone. Players are more sensitive to coaching techniques than in the past. The end goal of the AFL is a crowd that ONLY cheers their team and does not show any hostility towards the opposition - why? Because you don't know what mental conditions the player has (eg. Mitch Clarke and depression). Nathan Buckley clips his kid across the ears if he boos the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Want to stop the unreasonable? Be even more unreasonable, deduct points from teams deemed to have overtly racist supporters, deduct Brownlow points from their players. It's not like the AFL haven't been arbitrary in the past when it wants to be seen to lay the smack down (Melbourne, Essendon). It's not whats done but what's seen to be done. Punish the club and the supporters will soon shut up (or make each other shut up), it's the only thing supporters truly fear. Civilize the bastids by the rod I say.

But if there are a small percentage of racists who see that booing as an opportunity to do so towards an indigenous player, is it now acceptable to do so? I had a friend tell me he'd be too scared to boo Goodes now for fear of being branded a racist, given all the exposure it has received.

Well, perhaps there will be some good to come from this after all. The power of comminity voice.

But its OK to call 30,000 people racist because they went 'Boo'

I didn't call them racists ...however I feel many are doing an activity that has racist undertones to it

You can tell the difference between what he cops and say a player get booed because he hits one of your players .....

The tone, the length and anger in the booing is plainly obvious to see when Goodes gets the ball

It's interesting 150 years ago we thought it was ok to shoot aboriginal people dead if they looked at you funny
100 years ago we didn't employ them or pay them, and we took their land of them
70 years ago they still were not allowed to drink in a bar .....
60 years ago we stole their children Away from their mums and dads
50 years ago or so we didn't let them vote
And every January 26th we celebrate the day we came and started killing them on mass and developed the white Australia policy from that ...I call it invasion day

It then took us another 50 odd years to finally say sorry we did all these things to them ........howard couldn't do it

Don't you think we maybe just are in debt to them on the ledger side of things and just maybe we need to cut them slack a bit hey....like be nice to them considering Our people,literally tried their hardest to kill of their race

But no ......we somehow again try to seek power over them because their skin colour is different or they behave differently

No other white player had ever been booed like this ever .......Like every contest every week

And it's extremely sad to see and just maybe if you saw what I see everyday in my role helping these people then you would feel the same ....in our office of twenty people we all agree it's racist tones to the booing .....I'm not calling them racists fans ....their behaviour has racist overtones to it.

I will never understand why white people try to suppress aboriginal people ....I know why they do it .....

We fear people that look differently to us

I think the whole racist tag has a touch of convenience about it in this case.

Everyone needs to take some sort of responsibility in this including Adam himself.

Booing has always been a part of this sport, in fact every sport. To say that one individual should be exempt from being subjected to it whilst it's acceptable for everyone else is a bit rich.

Feel sorry for the bloke. Fair enough people can not like him for whatever reasons but when it's effecting someone's life this badly people need to pull there heads in.

People support "beyond blue" and other mental health organisations but will happily keep bullying and harassing a guy who is now taking a leave of absence from the club because it's hurting him so badly.

The issue is Goodes is LABELLING people as racists for "boo-ing" him, when the definition of "boo-ing" is basically disapproval.
Disapproval can happen for a huge range of issues, not just racism which is what is being thrown in your face.

If Goodes is right, lets say everyone are racists, then how come people do not "boo" other indigenous players? Cyril? Motlop? Hill?

Goodes needs to ask "why are you people booing me?" instead of pretty much publicly stating you're all racist.

People are going to react to a statement like that, and show displeasure.

I don't get however why others should tell Goodes the right way to celebrate his indigenous heritage. Stuff like you suggesting he should have "done a welcoming ceremony with burning gum leaves and stuff' - what? Who am I to dictate that?

i don't think they are telling him the right way to celebrate his heritage. just that if he was trying to endear himself then he's OBVIOUSLY going about it the wrong way. you don't get to choose other peoples reactions to your action.

'they don't love me. i did everything right; they're doing it wrong'.

Want to stop the unreasonable? Be even more unreasonable, deduct points from teams deemed to have overtly racist supporters, deduct Brownlow points from their players. It's not like the AFL haven't been arbitrary in the past when it wants to be seen to lay the smack down (Melbourne, Essendon). It's not whats done but what's seen to be done. Punish the club and the supporters will soon shut up (or make each other shut up), it's the only thing supporters truly fear. Civilize the bastids by the rod I say.

In USA football you can be Lena,used for making too much noise I think ...interesting concept .....Not a crazy one either by the way ...technical foul on the fans ......

the booing of goodes is because he is just a s**t bloke, a whinging diving campaigner on the football field. they do not boo him for his heritage they boo him for just being a s**t campaigner of a human bean
I'm willing to put "human bean" down to a spelling mistake, and not a reflection of your lack of education, which ironically would go someway to providing an excuse as to why you would think Adam Goodes is a bad human being.

Last edited:
Yup, the one you guys won with an extra mil in the cap.

The swans winning a flag during the COLA era is kind of like the Eiffel tower in Las Vegas. Still kind of cool. You're free to enjoy it. But it'll never be as impressive or as important as the real thing ;)

Feel free to talk about any footballing encounters since that game by the way :p If you're not careful, you'll start sounding like a Carlton supporter.
2012 is the most embarrassing Grand Final loss of the new millennium, even more embarrassing than 2007 with the factors I listed above. You're still finding blood in your stool, aren't ya? :)

2013 and 2014 were kind of cool too. Wonder if you can do it on a level-playing field instead of one of your home grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back