Other New Patriots Scandal - DeflateGate

Remove this Banner Ad

Belichick
Yep.

As I said from the outset, the NFL would orchestrate a pantomime that appears as though they're punishing the Patriots but not really punishing them at all.

It's why Kraft played along with all the rhetoric then gladly accepted the "punishment".

I wonder if anyone's checked recently what the Deflator is now driving? ;)

Despite where all this eventually headed, it's pretty fvcking obvious Brady was involved. Re-reading all this again....

-------------

the incriminating Deflategate texts in full

The NFL investigation that found the Patriots likely deflated footballs “in a deliberate effort to circumvent the rules” relied heavily on hundreds of text messages between two New England employees – Jim McNally, the officials locker room attendant for the Patriots, and John Jastremski, the team’s equipment manager – during the weeks and months leading up to the AFC Championship Game.

A number of these communications were included in the league’s 243-page report released on Wednesday, the culmination of a nearly four-month investigation headed jointly by NFL executive vice-president Jeff Pash and prominent independent investigator Ted Wells.

What follows is a sampling of the text-message exchanges, throughout which Jastremski generally refers to McNally by his nickname “Bird”:

9 May 2014

During the offseason McNally and Jastremski exchanged the following texts in which McNally referred to himself as “the deflator”:

McNally (4:37:16pm): You working

Jastremski (4:37:53pm): Yup

McNally (4:39:40pm): Nice dude....jimmy needs some kicks....lets make a deal.....come on help the deflator

[Approximately eight minutes later.]

McNally (4:47:15pm): Chill buddy im just heckin with you ....im not going to espn........yet

(The investigators note these messages were among those they were unable to discuss with McNally due to the refusal of counsel for the Patriots to arrange a follow-up interview with McNally.)

16 October 2014

During a Thursday night game against the New York Jets in New England, Brady complained on the sidelines about the feel and inflation level of the game balls. With the Patriots leading 17-6 at halftime, Jastremski exchanged text messages with an unidentified recipient concerning Brady’s complaints:

Jastremski (9:51:22pm): Tom is acting crazy about balls

Unidentified recipient (9:51:27pm): Ready to vomit!

Jastremski (9:53:04pm): K

Unidentified recipient (9:53:04pm): He saying there not good enough??

Jastremski (9:53:58pm): Tell later

Jastremski told investigators that Brady “knows that Jim is the referees locker room attendant,” and recalled Brady said something like, “isn’t he in there to make sure the balls are staying where they should be?” Jastremski said that he mentioned Brady’s comment to McNally on the sideline, to which McNally responded “heck Tom”. But when interviewed by investigators, Brady claimed he did not know McNally’s name or anything about McNally’s game-day responsibilities prior to the AFC Championship Game, including whether McNally had any responsibilities relating to game balls.

17 October 2014

Shortly after 9am on the morning after the Patriots’ 27-25 win over the Jets, McNally and Jastremski exchanged the following messages:

McNally (9:05:45am): Tom sucks...im going make that next ball a heckin balloon

Jastremski (9:07:08am): Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and said you must have a lot of stress trying to get them done...

Jastremski (9:07:37am): I told him it was. He was right though...

Jastremski (9:08:07am): I checked some of the balls this morn... The refs ****ed us...a few of then were at almost 16

Jastremski (9:08:29am): They didnt recheck then after they put air in them

McNally (9:16:31am): heck tom ...16 is nothing...wait till next sunday

Jastremski (9:16:52am): Omg! Spaz

When interviewed, both Jastremski and McNally told investigators that McNally’s “heckin balloon” message referenced Brady’s conduct during the Jets game. One hour prior to this exchange, Jastremski sent the following messages to his fiancée:

Jastremski (8:04:56am): Ugh...Tom was right.

Jastremski (8:05:23am): I just measured some of the balls. They supposed to be 13 lbs... They were like 16. Felt like bricks

21 October 2014

McNally and Jastremski exchanged the following text messages ahead of a Sunday game against the Chicago Bears:

McNally (1:56:13pm): Make sure you blow up the ball to look like a rugby ball so tom can get used to it before sunday

Jastremski (2:05:21pm): Omg

When interviewed, McNally told investigators his reference to “a rugby ball” meant a heavily inflated football.

23 October 2014

Three days before the Bears game, Jastremski and McNally exchanged the following messages:

Jastremski (6:47:21pm): Can’t wait to give you your needle this week :)

McNally (6:54:40pm): heck tom....make sure the pump is attached to the needle.....heckin watermelons coming

Jastremski (6:56:13pm): So angry

McNally (7:04:42pm): The only thing deflating sun..is his passing rating

24 October 2014

The next day, Jastremski and McNally exchanged the following messages:

Jastremski (4:47:53pm): I have a big needle for u this week

McNally (5:00:59pm): Better be surrounded by cash and newkicks....or its a rugby sunday

McNally (5:13:40pm): heck tom

Jastremski (5:15:52pm): Maybe u will have some nice size 11s in ur locker

McNally (5:31:07pm): Tom must really be working your balls hard this week

25 October 2014

The day before the Chicago game, McNally and Jastremski exchanged the following messages:

Jastremski (3:14:43pm): Size 11?

Jastremski (3:14:54pm): 2 or 3X?

McNally (4:05:34pm): Tom must really be on you

McNally (4:05:39pm): 11 0r 11 half......2x unless its tight fitting

Jastremski (4:06:39pm): Nah. Hasn’t even mentioned it, figured u should get something since he gives u nothing

Jastremski (4:07:12pm): Granted I already left stadium so unless Dave leaves room tomorrow then it’ll wait till next week

McNally (4:09:10pm): No prob

McNally told investigators he understood “unless Dave leaves the room” as a reference to New England head equipment manager Dave Schoenfeld and that he did not want Schoenfeld to see Jastremski provide McNally with clothing and sneakers. Jastremski believes he gave McNally the requested gear – a hooded sweatshirt and a pair of sneakers – sometime around 7 January 2015 ahead of the Patriots’ AFC divisional playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens.

30 November 2014

A text message sent by McNally to Jastremski at 6.01pm ET during a Patriots road game against the Green Bay Packers includes another reference to football deflation:

McNally (6:01:08pm): Deflate and give somebody that jkt

With kickoff scheduled for 4.25pm ET, it’s likely the text message was sent at or around halftime. Investigators were unable to discuss the message with McNally because counsel for the Patriots refused to make McNally available for a requested follow-up interview.

7 January 2015

Eleven days before the AFC Championship Game, McNally and Jastremski discussed how McNally would have a “big autograph day” and receive items autographed by Brady the following weekend, before the playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens. McNally and Jastremski exchanged the following text messages:

McNally (9:48:03am): Remember to put a couple sweet pig skins ready for tom to sign

Jastremski (9:48:26pm): U got it kid...big autograph day for you

McNally (9:51:19am): Nice throw some kicks in and make it real special

Jastremski (9:51:44am): It ur lucky. 11?

McNally (10:10:11am): 11 or 11 and half kid

19 January 2015

At 7.04am the morning after the AFC Championship Game, Jastremski accessed the Pro Football Talk story that had been posted at 2.19am regarding the NFL’s investigation of the deflation issue. At 7.25am after an exchange of texts with Schoenfeld, Jastremski sent the following text to Brady:

Jastremski (7:25:18am): Call me when you get a second

Brady called Jastremski less than a minute later and they spoke for 13 minutes, four seconds. Although he told NFL security investigators on 20 January that he’d not discussed the deflation issue with anyone other than McNally, Jastremski told investigators in February that he discussed the issue with Brady during this call. Jastremski added this was “probably” the only conversation he had with Brady, by phone or in person, addressing the deflation issue.

Approximately two and a half hours after that phone call, Brady followed up with Jastremsky by text message:

Brady (9:51:54am): You good Jonny boy?

Jastremski (9:53:27am): Still nervous; so far so good though. I‟ll be alright

Brady (9:54:16am): You didn’t do anything wrong bud.

Jastremski (9:55:01am): I know; I’ll be all good

When interviewed by investigators, Brady recalled that Jastremski had been worried because he was responsible for the preparation of game balls. Brady said he believed Jastremski would be asked a lot of questions by the organization and sent these messages to show his support. The exchange continued one hour later:

Jastremski (10:54:40am): FYI...Dave will be picking your brain later about it. He’s not accusing me, or anyone...trying to get to bottom of it. He knows it’s unrealistic you did it yourself...

Jastremski (10:55:32am): Just a heads up

Brady (10:59:32am): No worries bud. We are all good

Jastremski denied that the “it” in his 10:54:40 message referenced the deflation of footballs. Later that day, Brady sent Jastremski a text message requesting they meet:

Brady (2:38:09pm): Jj are you here?

Jastremski (2:38:17pm): Yup

Brady (2:38:34pm): Come to qb room

Jastremski acknowledged that in 20 years with the Patriots, he’d never previously met with Brady in the QB room. He said the meeting lasted a few minutes and did not discuss anything relating to the mounting investigation of game balls. Brady recalls requesting the meeting with Jastremski because he was already preparing for the Super Bowl and wanted to know the game balls would be prepared. He acknowledged the deflation investigation may have come up during the meeting.

I swear we were here on like page 10......

Rinse and repeat.

We are here (insert arrow)

With the amount of time that Ted Wells had to compile this investigation, and the over $5 million in cost, shouldn’t he have been able to uncover more compelling evidence than a text message in which a Pats attendant called himself the deflator? Given what they did find — and that the footballs 11 of the 12 footballs didn’t, as originally reported by ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, measure statistically significantly underweight by 2 PSI — were the stated conclusions of the Wells Report too severe versus how guilty they actually proved Brady was?

“As for the science, I think that has been sufficiently debunked by people like the American Enterprise Institute,” Florio said. “We’ve been making the point for weeks now you can’t take four Colts footballs — and that’s the comparison, you’ve got 11 Patriots footballs — and if the real numbers had come out early on, the Patriots would have been able to shout this down as normal application of the Ideal Gas Law. And oh by the way, the NFL is using two different gauges, which differ by up to .45 PSI, which is embarrassing in and of itself. But those numbers didn’t come out.”

“And when they finally did come out,” he continued. “You had Ted Wells working with the company Exponent, which, among other things, has been the expert witness in a case arguing that secondhand smoke doesn’t cause cancer — which is a ludicrous proposition, but it just shows you that there are companies out there that will give you whatever opinion you’re paying for. It happens all the time, and it’s easy to get jaded about when you’re a lawyer, but it just shows that there’s companies out there that will give you whatever opinion you’re paying for. These companies will give you something scientific that proves whatever it is you want, and plenty of people, including me, believe that’s what happened here.”

Last edited:
www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2015/07/20/raiders-qb-derek-carr-has-found-kindred-spirits-in-amari-cooper-and-rest-of-receiving-corps/

— David Carr said at the Sherriff’s event he remembered faxes sent years earlier signed by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning asking other quarterbacks to support the idea of handling footballs before the game.

David Carr, asked about the Brady suspension, said he thought the severity of the penalty had more to do with the Patriots’ disinterest participating in the investigation than the actual offense.

At one point during the morning session of the Carr Elite camp (ages 8 through 11), one young camper held a soft football and asked David Carr, “Does this remind you of Tom Brady’s ball because you can squeeze it?”

Replied David Carr: “No comment.”

Go Joe haha the irony

"He has absolutely everything in the world to lose and nothing to gain in this kind of situation,'' he said. "You ask yourself a question: Why? What would be Tom's motivation?"

"They said 11 of the 12 Patriots balls were underinflated,'' Theismann said. "Well, was there a problem with the gauges? The officials handle the football as much as the quarterback through the first half of the game. They didn't notice anything? And three of the four balls used by the Colts were underinflated, but they didn't measure all of them. There's a series of questions I just don't understand.''

What infuriates Theismann nearly as much as the suspension is the lengthy delay over the appeal.

Settlement talks have occurred in Brady case
Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
goodell4.jpg
AP
When a suspended player exercises his appeal rights, a settlement is always possible. In the case of Patriots quarterback Tom Bradyand his four-game suspension for doing whatever he did in relation to the #DeflateGate controversy, a league source tells PFT that settlement discussions have indeed occurred.

To date, no progress has been made toward a deal. While it remains possible that something could be worked out, it would be unexpected.

Per the source, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is being pushed by a small handful of influential owners to hold firm on the four-game suspension. Working against that pressure, however, is the fear that the four-game suspension would be wiped out by a federal court.

Attorney Gregg Levy, who was one of the finalists for the job Goodell received in 2006, participated in the Brady appeal hearing as a legal consultant to the Commissioner. It’s believed that Levy has been warning Goodell that it will be difficult to make a suspension stick in court, even under the heightened standard that applies to challenging the outcome of a private arbitration agreement.

So while there’s still no good way out of this mess for Goodell, the safest course for him personally would be to hold firm and to force a court to reduce the suspension — since Goodell suffers little or no P.R. consequence when one of his disciplinary decisions is reduced or wiped out by someone else.

is, truly, a fascinating development.

While it shouldn’t come as a complete surprise that other organizations, many of whom have spent the last 15 years losing Brady and Bill Belichick, would want discipline imposed on the Patriots’ quarterback, it nevertheless provides an interesting glimpse into the politics of NFL ownership.

Remember a couple of months ago, when a defeated Robert Kraft stepped to the podium in San Francisco and began talking about the “strength of the partnership and the 32 teams”? When Kraft decided — or at least decided to give the appearance — to put aside the interests of his own franchise so as not to disrupt the overwhelming success that comes from the juggernaut NFL?

Well, apparently, that courtesy was not reciprocated by a number of owners. Though, “owners” is Florio’s wording. I’d probably go with something different, like “hypocrites.” Or, if I’m really trying to get to the heart of it, “complete, abject losers.”

is, truly, a fascinating development.

While it shouldn’t come as a complete surprise that other organizations, many of whom have spent the last 15 years losing Brady and Bill Belichick, would want discipline imposed on the Patriots’ quarterback, it nevertheless provides an interesting glimpse into the politics of NFL ownership.

Remember a couple of months ago, when a defeated Robert Kraft stepped to the podium in San Francisco and began talking about the “strength of the partnership and the 32 teams”? When Kraft decided — or at least decided to give the appearance — to put aside the interests of his own franchise so as not to disrupt the overwhelming success that comes from the juggernaut NFL?

Well, apparently, that courtesy was not reciprocated by a number of owners. Though, “owners” is Florio’s wording. I’d probably go with something different, like “hypocrites.” Or, if I’m really trying to get to the heart of it, “complete, abject losers.”
Kraft's too busy pressing the flesh with his floozy to worry about proper NFL ownership. My ideal situation is for Jonathan to step in an assume control sooner than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Settlement talks have occurred in Brady case
Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
goodell4.jpg
AP
When a suspended player exercises his appeal rights, a settlement is always possible. In the case of Patriots quarterback Tom Bradyand his four-game suspension for doing whatever he did in relation to the #DeflateGate controversy, a league source tells PFT that settlement discussions have indeed occurred.

To date, no progress has been made toward a deal. While it remains possible that something could be worked out, it would be unexpected.

Per the source, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is being pushed by a small handful of influential owners to hold firm on the four-game suspension. Working against that pressure, however, is the fear that the four-game suspension would be wiped out by a federal court.

Attorney Gregg Levy, who was one of the finalists for the job Goodell received in 2006, participated in the Brady appeal hearing as a legal consultant to the Commissioner. It’s believed that Levy has been warning Goodell that it will be difficult to make a suspension stick in court, even under the heightened standard that applies to challenging the outcome of a private arbitration agreement.

So while there’s still no good way out of this mess for Goodell, the safest course for him personally would be to hold firm and to force a court to reduce the suspension — since Goodell suffers little or no P.R. consequence when one of his disciplinary decisions is reduced or wiped out by someone else.

Interesting article and I suspect pretty close to the thought process that RG will be going through.
So he will hold fat on the 4 game suspension to appease the influential minority owners, therefore Brady takes it to the Federal Court and wins .
RG tells the other owners we stood our ground so blame the Courts not the NFL Management.

I still think even if they reduce the suspension down a week or two Bradys is still going to court .

So the NFL holds firm and then points to the Federal Court as the stumbling block.

You have to shake your head and laugh at what a total F*** Up this has been by the games administrators.

The larger question still remains what protocols are they going to put in place to ensure that the integrity of ball security is not open to foul play next season.

As I have said before for an organisation with the such a big budget and number of staff , they have an uncanny knack of botching the simple stuff .

Interesting article and I suspect pretty close to the thought process that RG will be going through.
So he will hold fat on the 4 game suspension to appease the influential minority owners, therefore Brady takes it to the Federal Court and wins .
RG tells the other owners we stood our ground so blame the Courts not the NFL Management.

I still think even if they reduce the suspension down a week or two Bradys is still going to court .

So the NFL holds firm and then points to the Federal Court as the stumbling block.

You have to shake your head and laugh at what a total F*** Up this has been by the games administrators.

The larger question still remains what protocols are they going to put in place to ensure that the integrity of ball security is not open to foul play next season.

As I have said before for an organisation with the such a big budget and number of staff , they have an uncanny knack of botching the simple stuff .
I never saw any utensil ups and bullshit under tagliabeu. Goodell is imo solely to blame. Could finger the big four of mara, Jones, Kraft, and rooney, as pulling the strings, etc, but Goodell allowed them to do such, allowed himself to be corrupted. Whereas tagliabeu held them and others in rein.

I never saw any utensil ups and bullshit under tagliabeu. Goodell is imo solely to blame. Could finger the big four of mara, Jones, Kraft, and rooney, as pulling the strings, etc, but Goodell allowed them to do such, allowed himself to be corrupted. Whereas tagliabeu held them and others in rein.
I've long been of the opinion Goodell is an excellent businessman and a lousy commissioner.

Absolutely he will go to court, no matter what. It's about his reputation and legacy and he won't want that tarnished by having been suspended for this, even if it just is for a week.

Absolutely he will go to court, no matter what. It's about his reputation and legacy and he won't want that tarnished by having been suspended for this, even if it just is for a week.
Brady enjoys the full support of the NFLPA, is cashed up, has a crack team of lawyers behind him, is backed by actual scientific laws and believes he's done nothing wrong. He'd be a fool not to take this to court and destroy the NFL.

His suspension was upheld this afternoon by Goodell.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000504258/article/roger-goodell-upholds-tom-brady-suspension

The most significant new information that emerged in connection with the appeal was evidence that on or about March 6, 2015 -- the very day that was interviewed by Mr. Wells and his investigated team -- Mr. Brady instructed his assistant to destroy the cellphone that he had been using since early 2014, a period that included that AFC Championship game and the initial weeks of the subsequent investigation," Goodell wrote in the final decision on the appeal.

Not a good look by T. Brady

It's a red herring lol didn't Goodell destroy spygate video? Hypocrisy is at an all time high now. Anyway not unexpected. He should have just punched Giselle.

@StephStradley 55m55 minutes ago
NFL's usual argument in court sums up to, "We're entitled to be unfair." Whether you hate NE or no, process abuse should concern all fans.

It's a red herring lol didn't Goodell destroy spygate video? Hypocrisy is at an all time high now. Anyway not unexpected. He should have just punched Giselle.

@StephStradley 55m55 minutes ago
NFL's usual argument in court sums up to, "We're entitled to be unfair." Whether you hate NE or no, process abuse should concern all fans.

Probably had the Patriots do it for him as he was bestest buddies with Bobby Kraft back in those days. :p

Geesh...your team leads the league in destruction of evidence...perhaps he was being advised by Hernandez? ;)

His suspension was upheld this afternoon by Goodell.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000504258/article/roger-goodell-upholds-tom-brady-suspension

The most significant new information that emerged in connection with the appeal was evidence that on or about March 6, 2015 -- the very day that was interviewed by Mr. Wells and his investigated team -- Mr. Brady instructed his assistant to destroy the cellphone that he had been using since early 2014, a period that included that AFC Championship game and the initial weeks of the subsequent investigation," Goodell wrote in the final decision on the appeal.

Not a good look by T. Brady
Goes to show literally everybody nowadays is addicted to cell phones, it's an epidemic affliction.

Bloomberg's Scott Soshnick reports the NFL has asked the U.S. District Court in Manhattan to "confirm" Tom Brady's four-game suspension.

In other words, they're suing Brady before he can sue them. Brady's 2014-15 decision to slightly under-inflate his footballs has resulted in an all-out war with the league. The SportsBusiness Journal's Daniel Kaplan speculates the league's suit is designed to get the matter out of judge David Doty's jurisdiction in Minnesota. Doty has often been a thorn in the NFL's side. Brady's case is looking a bit shaky amidst the revelation he intentionally destroyed his phone on the day of his meeting with investigator Ted Wells.

Source: Scott Soshnick on Twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back