Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've linked it
I've quoted it
He said it
There's a video where you can watch and hear him say it
Nothing to comprehend
It's there for you to see read and digest

How Pitiful are you trying to excuse that comment

He was referring to her
We all know what he said. What do you think he meant?

Do you think he was saying that 13 year old girl is THE only racist in Australia or do you think perhaps he was suggesting that racism exists everywhere?

It's not a rhetorical question. What do you think he meant?

What if you didn't mean anything racist with the burning cross?

What if you just liked fires and religious icons, and dressing in white sheets?

Does that justify it? Does that make it 'not racist'?

How about when it's explained to you that the individial views that as deeply offensive, and you continue to do it notwithstanding being aware? And you do it side by side with others who do do it for racist reasons?

Can you still claim the high moral ground?

Even if you were booing him for mon racially related reasons, anyone with a shred of decency would stop I would hope.

Personally, If it continues, Id go so far as supportting suspending the AFL season till it stops.

How do we know when it stops if there are no games played #aspergers

I've linked it
I've quoted it
He said it
There's a video where you can watch and hear him say it
Nothing to comprehend
It's there for you to see read and digest

How Pitiful are you trying to excuse that comment

He was referring to her

He was referring to the fact that she was a completely normal looking, nice, innocent person. His entire point is that she wasn't a horrible person, wasn't a skin-head, but was a little girl who had internalised racist attitudes when she didn't know any better. The face of racism is innocence and ignorance, and that is exactly the problem. Too often, when we think "racist", we think neo-Nazis and the like. But the entire point is that completely normal people do it.

>Suspending the entire season until it stops

pshhhhAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA

Still angry for getting booted from the game on the weekend for the zoo comment I see.

You think Jack Watts cops the same level of abuse as Goodes?

Haha pull the other one mate.

Had Goodes covered until recently, and Watts hasn't put a foot wrong other than not being the player we hoped he'd be.

I'm not sure. I think there would be a proportion that would go at him no matter what now. They simply don't care what the outcome is, their right to boo is more important than anything. Including player welfare.

What gets me is that players are supposed to be automatons, completely without feelings, according to some of these people. The player should "toughen up", or "stop sooking", or "get over it", etc.

I have a strong interest in mens' mental health and I can see why it is such a problem in society when such neanderthal and ignorant views exist.
Sport =/= life
One of the attractions of the theater of sport is players overcoming adversity, whether that is physical or mental
I dont disagree with you wrt mens mental health in life but sport is a different beast

The issues Adam Goodes raises are important ones. Its the way he has done this that has polarized peoples view of him. Perhaps the media is part to blame aswell, those guys are jokes of the highest order. But if you use a little girl negatively to get your point across in ANY Issue, publicly, you can go an get booed/****ed. That right there is why he has polarized peoples view of him. Whether that's right or wrong, it got alot of people off side with him. He went after a little girl to get his point across. Yes Goodesy we know racism still exists, unfortunately. Did anyone else feel the need to throw a girl under the bus? cant see how any adult would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF?! How many Melbourne games have you been to? Watts has been openly abused for the entire length of his career.

You can pretend that it hasn't happened as much as you want mate

Been to several Melbourne/Swans games. Watched tons on TV. Never heard him booed en masse. He'll cop a bit of abuse from the crowd, mostly along the lines of "****ing useless", "soft", etc, and mostly from his own fans. And that's not great. But I've never heard him booed on TV, for instance. Whereas with Goodes it's loud enough that the mics pick it up each and every week.

I'm reading quite a few people suggesting the 2013 13-yo incident as the moment the booing began. However, revisiting the early games of this season, he wasn't booed at all. So was the defining moment for this season the indigenous round incident and his subsequent explanation?
Yes, and that incident has seen the racists come out in absolute flocks. That's what people don't seem to get, exactly what you said. The booing was barely audible, now look at it. It's a ****ing disgrace.

These ****** (insert whichever insult you feel like) are acting like this is the first time a player has ever been abused in the AFL/VFL, add Stephen Milne to the list. They're trying to rewrite history, you can't even have a normal debate with fanatics like this lot.

He didn't acknowledge Aborigines' murderous and revenge-filled past. Blainey has demonstrated that the killing as a % of population between tribes surpassed the % of lives lost of partipating nations in the world wars.

Any Aborigine who chooses to ignore this but at the same time highlight white Australia's crimes against them is misrepresenting the total perspective.
yes Goodes should have started with an apology to all the victims of past wars

Been to several Melbourne/Swans games. Watched tons on TV. Never heard him booed en masse. He'll cop a bit of abuse from the crowd, mostly along the lines of "******* useless", "soft", etc, and mostly from his own fans. And that's not great. But I've never heard him booed on TV, for instance. Whereas with Goodes it's loud enough that the mics pick it up each and every week.

Oh, ok I get, it's ok if the abuse and booing isn't loud enough to be heard on TV.

Well, that clearly makes it completely acceptable.

:rolleyes:

I assume this has been posted here:

http://www.watoday.com.au/comment/t...his-conduct-not-his-race-20150729-gimxzy.html

Andrews, Pridham, Mifsud and others should know that when you invoke blanket accusations of racism – or homophobia or xenophobia, for that matter – the chances of winning the argument are diminished and will harvest resentment towards blunderbuss reactions.

People go to football games because it is theatre in the round, the outcome uncertain and the combatants engaged in full-blooded contest. In theatres during Shakespeare's time, the crowd heckled the players during the performance.

Nothing has changed. AFL crowds are the largest, most vociferous and most tribal in Australia. They love heroes and they look for villains. Sports crowds have their own moral code and it is built on perceptions of conduct, not race. The colours that matter are those of the teams.

Another interesting take, however I think it still misses some of the nuances of the situation.

Personally, If it continues, Id go so far as supporting suspending the AFL season till it stops.

Wow! Wonder if your feel this strongly if you followed a decent side? :)
Agree it should stop now because its a circus, but I think your suggestion is WAY over the top.

A week should suffice. Happens again then we do it again.

I'll round up a few dozen of my mates and get them to harass you at your workplace.

Fairly sure you'd speak up at some point.
Lol classic
Goodesy isnt an office worker trying to type up a report or a roadworker trying to fill in a pothole, hes a sportsman and crowd heckling is part of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back