What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that Fletch was definitely the worst of the 400 gamers, if you made me choose. However I don't like to compare them at all. Fletch is a 198cm backman and Harvey is a 172cm midfielder. How do you even go about comparing those two players?

AFL should sell Docklands for housing and spend $100m on a couple of boutique stadiums capacity of 20,000.

All inter-Vic games should be at the MCG, all/most Vic-interstate games at a smaller boutique stadium.

Refer to end of saving private ryan for outcome of plane vs tank

tom hanks > plane/tank. the plane flying past at the same time as the tank being destroyed was purely coincidental and implied that the plane destroyed the tiger, but infact it was tom hanks and his trusty sidearm that dealt the fatal blow.

On the West Coast issue what is it exactly you think the Eagles should have been sanctioned for? Having players on their list who took recreational drugs? Having players who consorted with criminals? Is there or has there ever been an AFL rule that would see the football club sanctioned for this? Individual players may be up for "bringing the game into disrepute" but I don't think the West Coast Eagles Football Club can be officially penalised. Bit of straw clutching here if you are trying to compare these allegations to Carltons self admitted salary cap rorting.[/QUOTE
You say recreational, others may wonder what else there was. Irrespective drugs are now at the forefront of football probably because the AFL couldn't or wouldn't ask the hard questions and could have put the whole issue to bed so early. If I had one bad thing that Carlton was forced to be remembered for, it would be for cheating on a salary cap, for which a number of clubs have been guilty. Not remembered for being unable to identify a serious drug culture within your club, even though all the warning signs were there, but they chose to ignore all the information. Any wonder parents are taking their kids from AFL to other sports.

Just curious how many of the 1600+ games people have actually seen? I'd imagine most have seen most if not all of Boomer and Fletch, but how many saw Tuck and KB?

Seen them all live.

Bartlett > ...Harvey >.............................Tuck>Fletcher.

KB was a really special player won games with his own efforts and secondly he was a big game player, his finals were a notch above his home and away football.

But they are / were all great players and I feel lucky to have seen them all play.

I actually respect Caroline Wilson and i consider her one of my heroes. Sure i don't agree with every opinion that she has but watching her being constantly being put down by Hutchison on footy classified almost makes the show unwatchable.
I understand that some of the males on here find it offensive to have a female talk about or even know anything about football and its disgraceful.
The sexist and extremely offensive comments that get made about her on this site and in general are disgusting, this makes it difficult for any aspiring female sports journalist to consider this as a career when they could constantly be put down by 'the old boys club'.
Caroline Wilson should be respected for what she is, an inspiration to any woman who has been called a 'bogan' or not been taken seriously for talking about or even having a slight interest in football. She should also be respected as a sports journalist thats a woman and has been incredibly successful in a field dominated by men.
Love Ya Caro!;)

I actually respect Caroline Wilson and i consider her one of my heroes. Sure i don't agree with every opinion that she has but watching her being constantly being put down by Hutchison on footy classified almost makes the show unwatchable.
I understand that some of the males on here find it offensive to have a female talk about or even know anything about football and its disgraceful.
The sexist and extremely offensive comments that get made about her on this site and in general are disgusting, this makes it difficult for any aspiring female sports journalist to consider this as a career when they could constantly be put down by 'the old boys club'.
Caroline Wilson should be respected for what she is, an inspiration to any woman who has been called a 'bogan' or not been taken seriously for talking about or even having a slight interest in football. She should also be respected as a sports journalist thats a woman and has been incredibly successful in a field dominated by men.
Love Ya Caro!;)

Completely agree. I think she's certainly had many ordinary moments in her career, plenty of times when criticism of what she has said/written is warranted. But then, as with most females around the game, especially those that are paid to have an opinion and tread on some toes when necessary, on sites like this, it invariably comes back to how attractive/unattractive men find her. Who cares??

When someone resorts to that, all it says to me is that they're reaching to come up with an argument. Classic example of playing the (wo)man, not the ball.

Just curious how many of the 1600+ games people have actually seen? I'd imagine most have seen most if not all of Boomer and Fletch, but how many saw Tuck and KB?

Most would be lucky to have seen a tenth of the combined games played by Boomer and Fletcher. And the number would fall into the low single digits for KB and Tuck. You've severely overestimated how much football the average fan watches - even among the footy tragics on here - particularly given that every game wasn't televised until recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Ya Caro!;)
Your opinion is your opinion and I won't knock the opinion in itself. But what if I said that her journalistic muck-raking is a tumor-inducing negative energy upon the game? She never writes about the game, and only survives on generating negative stories to suck in a readership addicted to drama. The game would be better for her media demise.

Congestion should be solved by having less players on the field, thus also increasing average player talent and allowing coaches to implement more attacking game plans.

Congestion should be solved by having less players on the field, thus also increasing average player talent and allowing coaches to implement more attacking game plans.

you could do this by culling a couple of teams.

it's not how many players on the field that is the issue, it's the amount of time they get to recover during games and then return for another set of intervals. that's basically what footy is now - sets of intervals, just as they train.

cap interchange at 40 and be done with it. the game started to go s**t when the number of rotations significantly increased.

Who cares about the standard of soccer? Top tier, bottom tier, its still a boring, slow, defensive orientated sport, where scoring is rare and at a premium.

Enough of this A-league/EPL elitism bullshit.

:D

soccer is actually in an attacking renaissance.

AFL (which I have been told the game is called now) is currently the defensive-oriented sport.

For a defensive orientated sport, it sure allows a lot of scoring. A lot of goals

There always going to be more goals in AFL. It's the obvious conclusion when scoring in 1 sport involves kicking a ball as high as you want into an unguarded goal vs a much more confined and guarded space. How many 'goals' are scored in international rules?

The terms are used in a strategic sense. Soccer has become attacking over the last 10 years, AFL has become more defensive oriented. Coaches in soccer are generally promoting quick free-flowing play, AFL coaches are generally looking to lock the ball in and dominate stoppages.

one sport has only introduced one rule change in decades (GK handling the ball on a pass back), whereas the other continually tinkers.

strip everything back and cap the interchange at 40 rotations per match, and coaches will struggle to implement their current defensive methodologies.

Heard Leigh Mathews talk about having 16 on the ground. I'd have to agree that it would be more exciting. It's obvious there is too many on the field at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back