Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The players have also resolved that anyone who continues to boo the dual Brownlow medallist should be branded racist."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...for-goodes-20150729-gin8xy.html#ixzz3hHlBAcoQ

What utter horse s**t. Boo player = must be racist. That is some stuffed up logic right there. I've seen white players get booed too. Does that mean that those who boo them are doing so out of racial motivations? Please.
Do the other aboriginal players get booed? Burgoyne, Johnson, Wells, etc. No, they do not. And why is that? Well, you see, it's because they aren't nuffies.
Goodes is subject to booing because of the way he carries on and makes it about him.
Disregard EVERYTHING the players or clubs say because we all know they would get shafted if they say ANYTHING that can be painted with the same racism brush ... so while I will always support my club and players, I will NOT support the PC s**t they have to roll out because they are TOLD that booing Goodes = racism

He has the great power of the campaign.
Enough is enough. This has got to stop. Whether it is or isn't racist booing is irrelevant. It is being perceived as such and therefore indirectly is. I think Goodes is a scumbag of an afl player and protected specie, attention seeker just as much as anyone else. But this is damaging our game. And also it is threatening to be the think Goodes will be remembered for. How will history judge the afl fans of today?

Also I cant stand the Sydney posters all high and mighty and superior with their morally clean hands. Get your head outta your ass.

Like someone mentioned 'boo a roo'

"Im not booing him cos hes an aborigine im booing cos hes a diver and complains to the ump." --- Maybe once a twice then get bored of it. To carry it on for two years when many other players dive or whinges to umps is a piss poor excuse.

"Im going to keep booing cos its a free country and i can do what i want" ---- nah youre a child that needs a new hobby.

" I WRITE IN CAPS THAT IM NOT RACIST SO TAKE THAT" ---- Take that reclaim bandana off your head and sit down and shut the fk up.

" Lots of other players get boo'd... poor old Sammy Mitchell copped it for 2 weeks and he didnt cry and have a week off." ---- 2 weeks of booing for some underhanded s**t was prob deserved. Stfu.

" Im only booing cos he picked on the 13 year old girl." ----- Yeah that racist little s**t that thought she could get away with it? Turning it onto Goodes just shows youre a dumb campaigner.

What? You don't think it's reasonable to boo the bloke for that? He's conned his way to equal 215th in the comp in free kicks for per game this year (equal 167th for total free kicks) FFS!

why he gets booed:
-he comes across as a bit of an antagonist
-loves attention (rio ferdinand thing in 2013, school girl 2013, like a whole press conference about it and all, others play who get racially abused dont do this).
-if you want respect from footy fans. sliding(coward action) in to players and staging for free's isnt going to get you respect. theres a reason people respect Jonathon brown and glen archer etc
- theres a perception that his a protected species from the afl in which hes gets more free kicks and not much against him. And it also appears the afl dont want to challenge adam in any way so they to dont come across as racist. allowing him to do what he wants (recognize campaign, indigenous round)
-it seems like he is to pro anti-racism, yes he has copped some racism and it is terrible but he blows it out of proportion, he would've copped nothing compared to lewis and winmar, so it is becoming a bit too 'much' and people are getting tired of it. its like his portraying all white Australians to be racist pigs and that aboriginals are innocent people who cop racism throughout all there lives.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...lur-by-fan-apology-made-and-accepted.1008006/
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...affe-about-adam-goodes-and-king-kong.1009298/

Interesting reading going back over the first dozen or so pages of these threads. I'd say conservatively the sentiment was about 90% pro-Goodes and about 75% anti-girl (everything from laughing at her looks, body, her stunned reaction to Goodes' pointing her out, to demands for her to be banned for life 'as a minimum' and maybe 2-3 posts worrying about the decision to publish her face) and similar ratios with Goodes and McGuire a few days later.

I't would be interesting to pinpoint exactly when the tide turned, because the popular sentiment certainly wasn't that Goodes was bullying the girl, or picking an easy target, in the heat of the moment.
I remember the night he pointed her out the online reaction was vicious. I am guessing most people thought she had used the N word or something as obvious. When it came out what she said I guess there was a plausible deniability that existed that allowed some to give her the benefit of the doubt.

When Goodes made the face of racism comment I am guessing a few did not like it but gave him a pass for how genuinely hurt he must have felt.

I am guessing Goodes actions regarding the girl left a sour taste in peoples mouths but many would have pit it down to being an unfortunate situation with no need for animosity towards Goodes.

Online the turning point seemed to be the AOTY. People who didn't like the 13 year old girl situation and had originally given it a pass started to show their resentment as it appeared he was being rewarded for his actions that night and the following day rather than previously being an unfortunate victim of the slur and of circumstance.

why he gets booed:
-he comes across as a bit of an antagonist
-loves attention (rio ferdinand thing in 2013, school girl 2013, like a whole press conference about it and all, others play who get racially abused dont do this).
-if you want respect from footy fans. sliding(coward action) in to players and staging for free's isnt going to get you respect. theres a reason people respect Jonathon brown and glen archer etc
- theres a perception that his a protected species from the afl in which hes gets more free kicks and not much against him. And it also appears the afl dont want to challenge adam in any way so they to dont come across as racist. allowing him to do what he wants (recognize campaign, indigenous round)
-it seems like he is to pro anti-racism, yes he has copped some racism and it is terrible but he blows it out of proportion, he would've copped nothing compared to lewis and winmar, so it is becoming a bit too 'much' and people are getting tired of it. its like his portraying all white Australians to be racist pigs and that aboriginals are innocent people who cop racism throughout all there lives.

Yeah, he so does that.

No one speaks on your behalf.

Adam does speak on behalf of indigenous Australia though. So I think they have a right to disagree if they do?

He's the prime example (says AFL/Media/SJW culture) for indigenous kids in our country and he'll say anything he believes is for the best interests of "his people".

I've personally heard his "people" be his strongest detractors by far. I never hear in person white people talk about his public persona (just footy antics), but with indigenous people conversations have gone as far as labeling his comments and his actions disgusting, self-serving, race baiting and that he's too privileged to represent them. But I'm aware anecdotes of their words relayed online are rather worthless.

" Im only booing cos he picked on the 13 year old girl." ----- Yeah that racist little s**t that thought she could get away with it? Turning it onto Goodes just shows youre a dumb campaigner.
and this just shows why you cant reason with left wing nutjobs like this poster. Ever understood what the word immature means and why it applies to young kids?

Grow a ******* brain

Adam does speak on behalf of indigenous Australia though. So I think they have a right to disagree if they do?

He's the prime example (says AFL/Media/SJW culture) for indigenous kids in our country and he'll say anything he believes is for the best interests of "his people".

I've personally heard his "people" be his strongest detractors by far. I never hear in person white people talk about his public persona (just footy antics), but with indigenous people conversations have gone as far as labeling his comments and his actions disgusting, self-serving, race baiting and that he's too privileged to represent them. But I'm aware anecdotes of their words relayed online are rather worthless.

Get 'em to the Swans games. You can all boo Goodesy together. Nothing like seeing idigenous and non-idigenous uniting for a good cause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The players have also resolved that anyone who continues to boo the dual Brownlow medallist should be branded racist."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...for-goodes-20150729-gin8xy.html#ixzz3hHlBAcoQ

What utter horse s**t. Boo player = must be racist. That is some stuffed up logic right there. I've seen white players get booed too. Does that mean that those who boo them are doing so out of racial motivations? Please.
Do the other aboriginal players get booed? Burgoyne, Johnson, Wells, etc. No, they do not. And why is that? Well, you see, it's because they aren't nuffies.
Goodes is subject to booing because of the way he carries on and makes it about him.
But isn't he making it about indigenous issues, not him? Which particular thing has been 'making it about him'? The war dance?-an indigenous dance on indigenous round. Fair enough surely. What else?-his Australian of the year speech-a calm, reasonable, measured speech about various things-none of them offensive or 'making it about him.' What then please? Serious question-am not getting the 'makes it about him' thing.

Do you have any idea what happened after this meal? The Native Americans shared the meal with them as they didn't have enough to get through the winter. Then in the spring the pilgrims stole their fertile land, stole their corn seed, and killed many of them. It isn't an inclusive holiday at all and it almost exactly mirrors Australia/Invasion day in it's polar reception.
Hence why I said the Native Americans call it a day of mourning, I probably should've said a perceived inclusive day...

What? You don't think it's reasonable to boo the bloke for that? He's conned his way to equal 215th in the comp in free kicks for per game this year (equal 167th for total free kicks) FFS!
Numbers don't mean much, that doesn't prove that he doesn't play for free kicks, or stages. I can't stand the flog ever since the last time Sydney played Richmond, when he and buddy were totally harassing Rance, such a dirty way to play football.

Let me put it this way. Ask people would they boo Goodes if he played for their team instead of the Sydney Swans. For me, hell no. And I think the same goes for 99% of the booers. So the colour of his jumper outweights the colour of his skin, at least for a vast majority of the supporters. This is why I think while there are racists element to the boos, it is not comparable to the force of football tribalism.

I remember the night he pointed her out the online reaction was vicious. I am guessing most people thought she had used the N word or something as obvious. When it came out what she said I guess there was a plausible deniability that existed that allowed some to give her the benefit of the doubt.

When Goodes made the face of racism comment I am guessing a few did not like it but gave him a pass for how genuinely hurt he must have felt.

I am guessing Goodes actions regarding the girl left a sour taste in peoples mouths but many would have pit it down to being an unfortunate situation with no need for animosity towards Goodes.

Online the turning point seemed to be the AOTY. People who didn't like the 13 year old girl situation and had originally given it a pass started to show their resentment as it appeared he was being rewarded for his actions that night and the following day rather than previously being an unfortunate victim of the slur and of circumstance.

I'd agree with the Australian of the Year suggestion, even though, as I think is quickly apparent when people actually look at some of the names that have won it in the past that he's not exactly out of his depth. I will say though, I think by about the third page of the thread on the night of the Collingwood v Sydney game, it had been pretty well established what had been said.

Let me put it this way. Ask people would they boo Goodes if he played for their team instead of the Sydney Swans. For me, hell no. And I think the same goes for 99% of the booers. So the colour of his jumper outweights the colour of his skin, at least for a vast majority of the supporters.

though there are a few I would boo in my teams jumper. Was hell bent on booing Cousins if he had come to my club. Would have booed Hall if he ever had returned.

No I don't want people to agree with me. I just want people who hold racist views to admit they are racist. Not pass it off as some bullshit "banter" like that West Coast prick.

See this is where you SJW's lose rational thinking, you get so caught up in the emotion of fighting a cause that doesn't affect you personally.

Obviously you hold strong views though

You do realise that by saying :" that west coast prick", you label the entire fan base

The guy who said Goodes should return to the zoo, honestly believes he has done no wrong, he believes it is banter. Now most educated people know it is a racist comment.

How is he going to admit he was being racist when he doesn't even realise it.

You could be an average Joe.. On an Internet forum.. Saying the 'right' things but liking every single bigoted post not realising we can all see. That's closeted racism. Truly gutless, I know. But it does happen.

It'd be funny to see how deluded you are as to what constitutes racism in this thread.

Must be a different standard to the CoC on BF, which is sharply censored for racism. :rolleyes:

Might your opinion mirror Andrew Pridham's standard? Of all booing is racist on a football field? "Them theres racists!!! Alls of them" -- So, like, all negative viewpoints in here is racism?

Numbers don't mean much, that doesn't prove that he doesn't play for free kicks, or stages. I can't stand the flog ever since the last time Sydney played Richmond, when he and buddy were totally harassing Rance, such a dirty way to play football.

Of course they do. If Selwood was sitting 225th in the league in free kicks for, no-one would give a stuff about his attempts to draw high contact frees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back