What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
serious?

Cousins was far more damaging during this period than Ablett Jnr, who only started to become elite in 2007. Cousins was elite for 8 years in this period.

Mike Sheehan is just an old hack who has a strong dislike for the Eagles.

Cousins - 4 AA, 1 Brownlow, 1 Premiership from 2000-2009
Ablett Jnr - 3 AA, 1 Brownlow, 2 Premierships from 2000-2009

The overall gap isn't really that great, and if we're just counting them at their best during this period, then Ablett Jnr. definitely gets the nod.

I'm only assuming Sheehan is categorising 'the 2000s' as 2000-2009, too (as the other teams he selected are only for a single decade). He may be doing it from 2000-Present, in which case Ablett Jnr. is probably the first picked.

Despite some dumb mistakes and brain fades and the bad name that he has amongst both opposition and a select number of Richmond supporters, Ty Vickery is an above average footballer that can very comfortably be a part of a successful side. Not as the main option, but as a good, versatile structural piece, he certainly can and does contribute a significant amount to a contending side.

I think 16 teams is a good number. And having 2 teams from NSW/SA/QLD/WA and then 8 from VIC. Merge Melbourne and North Melbourne & Bulldogs and Saints.
2 of remaining Vic teams split between Tasmania (Hawks) and NT.

Makes it more of a national game. I'm sure the 30 or 40 people who support those 4 Victorian teams will get over it. :p
Sorry, but I wouldn't. I get that the Dogs would be one of the first cabs off the rank to be merged, but I'd hope the game has evolved to an extent that teams don't have to be merged. I could get used to an idea of a Reserve division and a 'relegation/promotion' system, which would even out the competition and allow for teams in Tassie and NT to be formed. It's always bothered me that two footy-loving areas don't get to regularly see their team play in their state/territory/

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not:

Forget the staggered bye and just have one weekend where all teams have the bye.

Footy addicts can go have a picnic or something. Even better, you could use the free space on TV to televise a weekend of under 18s or similar. That would be good - picking out potential guns that you would love your team to draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take it a lot further than that:

Australian Capital Territory
1. Giants (Rebranded/permanently relocated GWS Giants)

New South Wales and NZ
2. Sydney Swans (alternate home games between Sydney and Blacktown)
3. Saints (Rebranded/relocated St Kilda) (alternate home games between Newcastle and New Zealand)

Northern Territory
4. Bulldogs (Rebranded/relocated/merged Melbourne and Western Bulldogs) (alternate home games between Alice Springs and Darwin)

Queensland
5. Brisbane Lions
6. Gold Coast Suns (alternate home games between Gold Coast and Cairns)

South Australia
7. Adelaide Crows
8. Port Adelaide Power

Tasmania
9. Tassie Hawks (Rebranded/relocated/merged Hawthorn and North Melbourne) (alternate home games between Hobart and Launceston)

Victoria
10. Carlton Blues
11. Collingwood Magpies
12. Essendon Bombers
13. Geelong Cats
14. Richmond Tigers

Western Australia
15. Fremantle Dockers
16. West Coast Eagles

I'd also re-introduce an AFL Reserves competition, with the same teams, fixture and travel schedule as the main league. I'd also reduce things to a 15 game H&A season (each team plays each other once, alternate bi-annually between home and away), and a six-team finals series, too (single elimination, top two teams getting a bye).

This would obviously be extremely controversial and re-shape things massively from both a supporter and financial perspective, but this would also truly nationalise the national league, have every major population centre represented, and balance things out all-round a lot better IMO.
Funny how people who are in favour of mergers never include their own team....

All these Goodes tributes like wearing the indigenous flags on their arms and Nathan Jones' celebration are pissing me off.

Goodes has not died. **** off. Goodes is getting more tributes than Phil Walsh did...
Was very disappointed when i saw the skip doing that

All these Goodes tributes like wearing the indigenous flags on their arms and Nathan Jones' celebration are pissing me off.

Goodes has not died. **** off. Goodes is getting more tributes than Phil Walsh did...
What did Jones do?

Feel free to make a case for Collingwood to merge if you like...

Collingwood should have merged with Fitzroy. Close locations, and Collingwood would've avoided the pits of the late 90s. Also would've had to adjust their colours and possibly mascot, leading to Port entering in it's preferred presentation.

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back