Rumour Stef Martin wants out from the Lions Den

Remove this Banner Ad

Incorrect. They wanted a top 10 pick and you offered 19 and Hooker/Gumbleton. It's OK Geelong got him the next year so it worked out better for the kid.

D3306E33.jpg
They knocked back our 1st round pick and a now All Australian defender.

Yet we weren't offering enough, funny how people remember things.

They knocked back our 1st round pick and a now All Australian defender.

Yet we weren't offering enough, funny how people remember things.
It's not a matter of offering "enough" it's offering what they wanted. Big difference between pick 9 and 19.

It's not a matter of offering "enough" it's offering what they wanted. Big difference between pick 9 and 19.
We didn't have it, much like Port didn't have what we wanted.

Yet in both cases Essendon are singled out as hard to deal with.

So much lol

So much lol
You do want other clubs do i.e. Hawthorn and get the deal done in other ways.

Martin will go and we'll be a better team for it. Can only play one ruck and leuy relishes being the lone ruckman

Well you certainly can't get any worse...

So much lol
Damn straight. It is a media perpetuated myth and it is actually highly inaccurate but that won't stop the likes of Jon "better to be first than right" Ralph reporting it as fact. Just on the Josh Caddy trade… I can't remember but did he want an out for family reasons…?

Twitted Steele (media man at the Brisbane Lions) to try to put this rumour to bed. This was his response.
"Only deal in facts mate, which are he's signed until end of 2016, been one of our best this year & trained house down today"
Not as definitive as he has been in the past, but its some info from the a great source.

You'd think so, and when you take into account that Sydney has that BS trade sanction, I imagine they'd try and trade him off a year out from his end-of-contract in return for maybe another player and a draft pick. Sydney may even pay a portion of the remainder of his contract, given they're surely screwed with COLA being phased out and Buddy's salary for 2016 increasing.

Might be an 'easy' pick up for the Lions given Sydney are rumoured to really want to free up their salary cap with Tippet thought to be the sacrificial lamb.
I'm pretty sure that this is the last year of Tippett's contract.

My understanding is that quite a few Lions want out at the end of the year, the go home factor is not an issue but Rockliff remains a deeply unpopular captain and that the standards that he expects of other players he does not apply to himself.

My understanding is that quite a few Lions want out at the end of the year, the go home factor is not an issue but Rockliff remains a deeply unpopular captain and that the standards that he expects of other players he does not apply to himself.

And you know this how?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His peers were involved with instating him as captain. I would think they were already well aware of any standards he expected. And it would seem strange they felt he was not meeting any such standards, he was AA last year.

Hehe. Thanks for the good laugh.

I'd be interested to know who those supposed few players are actually.

Understandable. Could be a star at a better club.

He'd be genuinely in the top 3-4 ruckman in the league as it stands. Goldstein the clear number one with Nic Nat, Sandi and Martin fighting it out for the other 3 spots.

FIGJAM?

People really need to distinguish between the trolls and the genuine rumours. Things like "players want to leave because the captain is tough on them" is just a whole load of horse****. Players are not that soft.

Thats funny one of the main reasons Beams left is because he didn't like team meetings (leading teams) and the professionalism Buckley required plus he needed the extra cash to punt with

Thats funny one of the main reasons Beams left is because he didn't like team meetings (leading teams) and the professionalism Buckley required plus he needed the extra cash to punt with
He also has an alcohol problem and is dealing with an STD that was a result of a wild night out in Vegas back in 2011. Also got some chick preggas and now has to pay child support.

People really need to distinguish between the trolls and the genuine rumours. Things like "players want to leave because the captain is tough on them" is just a whole load of horse****. Players are not that soft.
Footballers are no different from any other people, some are sensitive and some will want to leave their job due to the personalities that are present.

Footballers are no different from any other people, some are sensitive and some will want to leave their job due to the personalities that are present.
"some" - yes. Only natural.

"quite a few" - I highly, highly doubt.

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 6.48.52 pm.png

This is from an article at the time of the trade.

Neeld looks absolutely ******* clueless and Viney's got a look that says "what the * is this maniac doing"

I ******* hate Neeld.

Well played lions.. Pick 53 for Stef Martin is one of the trades of the century.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back