Computers & Internet Windows 10- 'Free'....okkkayyy....

Remove this Banner Ad

So is it free?

What's the sting?

Some people have downloaded it, installed it and it runs fine.

And for some it's a cluster*.

So the sting is its made by Microsoft.

microsoft will stop supporting older operating systems, getting rid of support means less people needed, and money saved for them

Windows 7 would have many years of support left.

Given its the most frequently used OS for industry, it should many years left.

It will have, but if they get even a quarter the people to upgrade to windows 10 they support $$ they can save will be huge. There is one company (I cant remember who) who have reportedly paid millions to Microsoft to continue supporting them in windows XP because they don't want to upgrade for whatever reason.

So is it free?

What's the sting?
It's a smart move.

By making it free, most people will now begin to move to Windows 10.

And if more people use Windows 10, developers are more inclined to create software for Windows 10.

It's not free. It still costs money (over $100 IIRC) to buy it outright. You can upgrade 7 or 8.1 to the equivalent version of Windows 10 for free in the first 12 months.

I would add there's been quite a bit of controversy about user privacy in this release. A few 'features' are either difficult or impossible to turn off completely.

When I went from 8 to 8.1 it certainly wasn't free. Cost about 10 gig, so depending on what type of plan your on...

Also WTF happened to Windows 9?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I went from 8 to 8.1 it certainly wasn't free. Cost about 10 gig, so depending on what type of plan your on...

Also WTF happened to Windows 9?

They skipped it due to customer feedback. They wanted Windows 10 to be more like Windows 7 in terms of the start-up menu/taskbar set-up. They removed the tiled screen which was supposed to be a feature in Windows 9. So, yeah, all in all they just by passed Windows 9.

It's not free. It still costs money (over $100 IIRC) to buy it outright. You can upgrade 7 or 8.1 to the equivalent version of Windows 10 for free in the first 12 months.

I would add there's been quite a bit of controversy about user privacy in this release. A few 'features' are either difficult or impossible to turn off completely.

...great, likely that my true identity will be revealed on Big Footy...awesome.

It will have, but if they get even a quarter the people to upgrade to windows 10 they support $$ they can save will be huge. There is one company (I cant remember who) who have reportedly paid millions to Microsoft to continue supporting them in windows XP because they don't want to upgrade for whatever reason.

Australian department of defence IIRC

Australian department of defence IIRC
Could be right, which is pretty worrying considering the amount of security flaws in XP. Surely would be cheaper to roll out at least windows 7.

They skipped it due to customer feedback. They wanted Windows 10 to be more like Windows 7 in terms of the start-up menu/taskbar set-up. They removed the tiled screen which was supposed to be a feature in Windows 9. So, yeah, all in all they just by passed Windows 9.
That and they apparently had a few serious gremlins in it and it ran like s*** in final testing so better to scrap it there and put those resources in Windows 10

If you have a current legit copy of 7 or 8, it's a free permanent upgrade as long as you do it before July next year. If you do the upgrade now, it won't cost you a cent now or in future. An install on a PC with no existing OS will still cost money though.

The reason it's free is Microsoft want as many people on Windows 10 as possible so that they don't have to keep supporting old stuff. By giving out free upgrades they're trying to avoid another Win XP situation.

As far as how it runs, it's great. I haven't installed it on mine but I've used it a lot at work and it's very smooth. It's definitely not a "resource hog" like was said earlier in this thread, it is more resource efficient than 7 and 8.

Microsoft are moving to a subscription model like they have with Office, so I'm assuming Windows will follow suit eventually.
If Windows follows suit, I may finally be like all the cool kids and a get a Mac.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back