Who are our All Australians?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
All the doom and gloom and it got me thinking about our actual cattle.

Usually teams from the top 4 have numerous players vying for All Australian and arguably many who miss out.

Lock: Fyfe
Likely: Sandilands (even he may miss out to the flavour of the month Goldstein and Nic Nat is as much a lock due to the love)
Chance: Walters (but actually no chance considering the smalls ahead of him), McPharlin (been awesome but there would be quite a few ahead of him), Mundy (decent polling in coaches votes is he genuine All Australian or just our second best mid) Neale (probably just a tad too inconsistent and too be honest not a flashy mid)

So when you think we have 2 players in frame for All Australian the story of how are we first? continues to amaze.

Fyfe only.

Sandi wont be ther because of Goldstein.

Also didn't the Hawks not have many last year? Can't recall.

Fyfe only.

Sandi wont be ther because of Goldstein.

Also didn't the Hawks not have many last year? Can't recall.

They had 3. We also had 3. Swans had 4.

It's a media driven award anyway. The high scoring teams will have their goal scorers looked at but as the number 1 defensive side you'd like to think someone from our back 6 would get the nod. Doubt it though.

I personally think Ibbotson is highly underrated but he's as likely to get a mention as Sandilands is to kick 3 goals in a game!

All the doom and gloom and it got me thinking about our actual cattle.

Usually teams from the top 4 have numerous players vying for All Australian and arguably many who miss out.

Lock: Fyfe
Likely: Sandilands (even he may miss out to the flavour of the month Goldstein and Nic Nat is as much a lock due to the love)
Chance: Walters (but actually no chance considering the smalls ahead of him), McPharlin (been awesome but there would be quite a few ahead of him), Mundy (decent polling in coaches votes is he genuine All Australian or just our second best mid) Neale (probably just a tad too inconsistent and too be honest not a flashy mid)

So when you think we have 2 players in frame for All Australian the story of how are we first? continues to amaze.
Can't fault your assessment, though I'd give Mundy a touch more chance of cracking it than you.

Fyfe and I reckon Mundy might crack a spot on the bench.
Sandilands stiff but ruck position will probs go to Goldstein.
I also think Neale will make the squad which is a great effort.

They had 3. We also had 3. Swans had 4.

It's a media driven award anyway. The high scoring teams will have their goal scorers looked at but as the number 1 defensive side you'd like to think someone from our back 6 would get the nod. Doubt it though.

I personally think Ibbotson is highly underrated but he's as likely to get a mention as Sandilands is to kick 3 goals in a game!

Ibbotson would have been in the mix earlier in the year, I'm fairly sure of it. When MJ went out, Ibbo became less free and less "visible", but still very good. I'd be surprised he's not in the 'extended squad' or whatever it is, but I doubt they'll squeeze him into the AA team itself.

It would be embarrassing if we finish top and only have one.

Well that's why I started the thread. Perhaps some of our 'success' over the last 2-3 years has made us as supporters more critical. Perhaps not appreciate the squad we have. Perhaps not recognise our leaders and good players and understand that players like Mzungu are essential for sustained success. It's a mentality thing and I've been super critical too yet we stand first on the ladder. The lost to North was deplorable yet we lost by 11 away from home to a team with much more to play for. A few years ago as a club we'd have seen that as an improvement. We'd have backed Mzungu for trying to take the game on.

There's been a shift. It's semi warranted but in summary like Ross says its never as bad as it seems.

Well that's why I started the thread. Perhaps some of our 'success' over the last 2-3 years has made us as supporters more critical. Perhaps not appreciate the squad we have. Perhaps not recognise our leaders and good players and understand that players like Mzungu are essential for sustained success. It's a mentality thing and I've been super critical too yet we stand first on the ladder. The lost to North was deplorable yet we lost by 11 away from home to a team with much more to play for. A few years ago as a club we'd have seen that as an improvement. We'd have backed Mzungu for trying to take the game on.

There's been a shift. It's semi warranted but in summary like Ross says its never as bad as it seems.
We do have 5 or 6 (with Ibbo) who deserve to make the extended squad. The problem we have in making the final team is the AA panel make judgements based heavily on stats, and our team is currently better at not making mistakes (structurally) than racking up empty possies off half back. Or kicking a decent number of goals, which forwards need to do to earn a spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walters will be behind Wingard and Betts, but might make the squad. Sandi should make it but our capitulation won't have helped him. The two who've done well but won't get the attention they deserve are Hill and Ibbo.

It will be interesting to see how many we get combined. Only Fyfe and Kennedy are locks I'd say (Priddis highly likely).

It may be that the two top teams with the two stingiest defences don't get a single defender in the team.

Neale, Ibbotson, Fyfe, Walters, Sandilands and Mundy should at least make the squad. Not 1st just because of Fyfe alone.. Hope AA Selectors see that too. Mundy stepped up big time with Nat out, same as Ibbotson wit MJ/McPharlin out
It will be interesting to see how many we get combined. Only Fyfe and Kennedy are locks I'd say (Priddis highly likely).

It may be that the two top teams with the two stingiest defences don't get a single defender in the team.
Have to say NicNat will at least make the squad. Nothing against him, but some selectors do get overly excited on specific skills set that they forget the point entirely. McGovern would've been a lock by Round 15-16 then got injured. Gaff is in many experts' teams at the moment.

Johnson is still a chance to make it. It's not voted on week by week so if he plays the next 2 games in the same form as he did earlier in the season he might get a look in.

Johnson is zero chance surely, only played 11 games so far.

Yeah, Johnson was a lock until injury, and I don't think there's enough games there ... having said that, I don't think there is a stipulation on minimum games played. I've heard previous selectors divided on it. Some seem to place a far bit of emphasis on games played, others don't. But in MJ's case, half a season ... I'd say it's not likely.

From an outside perspective I'd have to say Fyfe 100% lock, Mundy should definitely get a jumper, at least give the bloke a spot on the bench has been more that solid in almost every game.
Sandi will miss only because Goldy has been outstanding this year.
McPharlin, Hill, and Neale would be the only others dockers I'd think would make the initial squad.

On the defenders, McGovern for you guys, McPharlin for us would be outside chances - 1 or both would probably make the extended squad.

I think you'll have more than us. For starters WC are bit more 'flavour of the month' in the second half of the season. We were early I suppose, but that's a long time ago.

Kennedy a lock. Priddis almost certainly. McGovern, Gaff and Shuey would make the squad at least and 1-2 of them is likely I reckon. NicNat would be smoky too. That's 2-5

We only have Fyfe as a lock. Mundy should get close. We have a group that would be very slim chance: Sandi, Ibbo, Hill, McPharlin - maybe 1 of those might squeeze in. That's say 1-3 realistically.

Yeah, Johnson was a lock until injury, and I don't think there's enough games there ... having said that, I don't think there is a stipulation on minimum games played. I've heard previous selectors divided on it. Some seem to place a far bit of emphasis on games played, others don't. But in MJ's case, half a season ... I'd say it's not likely.
I wonder what the record is. Ablett made it with 15 last year didn't he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back