Opinion 2022 All Australian Team Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd start a thread on this year's AA squad now given every punter and their proverbial are putting out their mid-season versions. The AFL.com writers have done their version:

ICL_EDT_2022_67131_Editorial-Adhoc-2022_MidSeason_AA_website.jpg

Is there a genuine argument that there should be more players from the team with the best defence that sit joint second on the ladder for wins and are arguably the in-form team of the competition, or is it a case of us being an even team with one notable exception (the "champion team beating a team of champions" argument)?

Tough one for mine. I probably lean towards the latter, with the likes of Brodie/Acres/Pearce/Cox/Ryan/Darcy/one of our small forwards having claims to at least a place in the squad of 40. At the same time though only having one player represented when we're doing so well has the stench of tokenism around it, regardless of how much Andy deserves his spot. At least AFL.com have him on the field, most pundits have him on the bench.

What say you?

Attachments

• 1654732625188.png
    1654732625188.png
    567.8 KB · Views: 78
Jake Niall from The Age suggested there be a different token Freo player in his team, with Switta in and Andy out. He did suggest that Longy is AA coach though.

His team:

FB397628-F94E-48C2-8536-61DCC4F07A2D.jpeg

Jake Niall from The Age suggested there be a different token Freo player in his team, with Switta in and Andy out. He did suggest that Longy is AA coach though.

His team:

View attachment 1419969

You mean Champion Data was right all along????

Sesame Street Fainting GIF

Darcy would be in third place, behind Witts. A strong finish to the season could see him sneak onto the bench.
A ruckman sneaking onto the bench of a representative team you say?

brb

Tough one for mine. I probably lean towards the latter, with the likes of Brodie/Acres/Pearce/Cox/Ryan/Darcy/one of our small forwards having claims to at least a place in the squad of 40.

I’d say Brayshaw is a sure thing at the moment, with any of those guys mentioned possible with a big second half to the season. A defender is the most likely, I could see Ryan or Cox make it if we stay as a top 2 defence.

His team:

View attachment 1419969

Isn't all Australian coach the premiership coach? So has us in for premiership favorites at this point. But the only player from freo in the team is a guy who has played one game in the last month of football.....

Matthew Richardson's doing a rolling AA team and found room for Alex Pearce & Andy Brayshaw. Reckon he'll change that next week though.

Lots of people have Andy as the 22nd player picked as well from what I've seen, almost like he's included begrudgingly.

1654734556016.png

Weitering missing next 5 weeks opens up a key defenders spot I'd say.
Richo put Moose in for Weitering on his rolling AA team.

Josh Jenkins writing for The Field (?) also gave us two reps - Andy on the bench & Griff on a HBF. Having Tim English as the sole ruck though throws his credentials out a bit.

1654735030093.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ESPN's turn, and they've gone Andy on the bench (who, according to his write up, "Fantasy football players will know he's the equal-second best player to the halfway point of 2022" so let's put him on the bench hey) & JLo coaching (another prediction that Flagmantle is happening???).

Not only could 'ESPN Staff' not find room for us in their defence, they had an extra defender on the bench from a team in the bottom 4 of the ladder.

1654735327811.png

I think arguably our 2 most most important players at the moment are Brayshaw for his his work ethic & will to succeed which is infectious & Rory Lobb, purely for how vital he is for structure up forward & as a competent back up ruck.

Brayshaw is obviously in the team, but with Lobb they never consider the importance of the back up ruck/forward & just go with the 2 best rucks.

I honestly feel that we have good replacements or can restructure most other positions on the ground. Meek is a good example of that, as good as Darcy is & the traits he displays are better than Meeks, but Meek can still come in & play that ruck role as we saw v Geelong.

So it’s probably about right with only Ryan perhaps a bit stiff.

We havw 1 player in the top 20 coaches votes. Brodie our next best. It'd be hard to argue for Brodie over any of the others.

Forwards have shared it around a lot and the defence is always underrated for actual defending.
Brodie over Smith I'd reckon.

Brodie over Smith I'd reckon.
Smith is nominally the wing, which I don't think Brodie can play (as well). Smith started the year on fire and as the outside run is within the realms of the team. In my opinion, it's Brodie vs Neale, Oliver, Brayshaw, Cripps, Miller then different roles to Mills, Smith, Petracca.

We're better off winning the flag without solo representation in AA squads. It shows the evenness of our team.

Matthew Richardson's doing a rolling AA team and found room for Alex Pearce & Andy Brayshaw. Reckon he'll change that next week though.

Lots of people have Andy as the 22nd player picked as well from what I've seen, almost like he's included begrudgingly.

View attachment 1419973

It's very ******* annoying to continually see Bailey Smith named when he's not been on the level Andy has been on. Anyone that doesnt include Brayshaw (and there have been a couple) is really just taking the piss. Look at this bullshit, Walsh and Smith on the field over Brayshaw? Some serious vicbias crapola

Last edited:
I think arguably our 2 most most important players at the moment are Brayshaw for his his work ethic & will to succeed which is infectious & Rory Lobb, purely for how vital he is for structure up forward & as a competent back up ruck.

Brayshaw is obviously in the team, but with Lobb they never consider the importance of the back up ruck/forward & just go with the 2 best rucks.

I honestly feel that we have good replacements or can restructure most other positions on the ground. Meek is a good example of that, as good as Darcy is & the traits he displays are better than Meeks, but Meek can still come in & play that ruck role as we saw v Geelong.

So it’s probably about right with only Ryan perhaps a bit stiff.
I think we are a star team, not a team of stars. Andy is equal second in the coaches award, and I am holding the view that the coaches have some idea what is important, so he should be in.

I agree with the above, that if you were really picking a team to play then you would have to consider Lobb. He has been very good, except for the wet games, and not many teams play 2 full on ruckmen.

The players Tonga Bob mentions above have been good enough that a small step up in the run home could see them being considered.

I wish there was a full leaderboard for coaches votes available. I would like to see how a number of non midfielders have polled.

Haven't found any teams from the Hun, Fox Footy or the Worst. If anyone finds them please post in here.
I found the West Australian one:

Alex Witherden, Tom Barrass, Josh Rotham
Liam Duggan, Jeremy McGovern, Shannon Hurn
Andrew Gaff, Tim Kelly, Luke Shuey
Greg Clark, Josh Kennedy, Jamie Cripps
Willie Rioli, Jack Darling, Liam Ryan
Nic Naitinui, Jack Redden, Ben Cousins

Nic Naitinui, Nic Naitinui, Nic Naitinui, Nic Naitinui,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back