Prediction 2023 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There were times last year, when our kick in strategies were just ridiculous. And we kept doing the same thing over and over again. This this this this this! Well said. I think Ryan was the one I noticed the most BUT surely he was just following orders?
Think there was some element of that. I noticed one game I think they swapped Ryan with Cox for a lot kickins and he did the exact same thing for most of them.

Regardless, I don't wanna see Ryan take another kick in again. Not with Young, Chapman, Clark there.

Think there was some element of that. I noticed one game I think they swapped Ryan with Cox for a lot kickins and he did the exact same thing for most of them.

Regardless, I don't wanna see Ryan take another kick in again. Not with Young, Chapman, Clark there.
I took it that they prefer to often have Ryan take the short option to one of those types so they can then deliver from further out and kick beyond the defensive setup into the forward half. if Ryan couldn’t find them he often went to a tall (personally love his connection with Cox)

I took it that they prefer to often have Ryan take the short option to one of those types so they can then deliver from further out and kick beyond the defensive setup into the forward half. if Ryan couldn’t find them he often went to a tall (personally love his connection with Cox)

Ryan probably went short from the kick out about five times all season…

I’d be genuinely shocked if more than ten of his kick outs didn’t leave the fifty.

He bombs it long nearly every time. For some weird reason he seems to be able to find Cox occasionally but never anyone else. Rest of the time it’s to packs where we’re probably about 20% of winning the contest at best.

It was a strategy to have cox on the open side, if he was unattended or had a mismatch when he was clear favourite to take the mark we’d kick it to him. Otherwise it was a long bomb to the pack with the rucks.
Well coached teams worked this out and never left Cox free, hence kicking it to the pack 99% of the time.

Our kick-ins were obviously at least ok from a defensive point of view. Whether they added much from an attacking standpoint is another question.

Some people forget that opposition do a lot of homework and actually set up to stop us doing what we'd like to do. Once a set play is rolled out successfully, the whole league notices so it's rarely successful more than once a season.

Some people forget that opposition do a lot of homework and actually set up to stop us doing what we'd like to do. Once a set play is rolled out successfully, the whole league notices so it's rarely successful more than once a season.
Exactly, that’s why we need a plan b,c,d…. before we get to plan X kick it down the line to congestion.

Sure but how does that explain the times when we tried the same thing 4 times in a row - kick to a contest near the boundary on the same side, only to have the contested ball come straight back inside our 50? Those were the bits that did my head in.

The word on the street about Hughes starting on the wing is largely being driven by Ryan Daniels and Nathan Schmook as far as I can tell. Daniels is a good journo and I like him but he's also a guy who only realised on Monday that there is an extra game this year for all teams and reckons the extra game with Gather Round "snuck up on us all". On top of that, he had Henry as disappointing in a PS game despite Liam having 14 possies to half time when he sent the Tweet. His view on the wing position at Freo should be seen as marginally informed at best.

Hughes definitely started there in a couple of games in the PS, but so did Aish and so did Henry. Hughes may well line up there at the bounce on Sunday, but I wouldn't expect him to be the sole body on any wing during the game.

I'd guess we'll get Aish/Henry, Henry/Hughes, Hughes/Aish at different times before Noddy gets back. I wasn't a fan so much of the Hughes move when mooted initially but Hughes in the PS has earned a shot. His ball movement has been better but he's still not crisp there or in his decision making. I have to say though that for every time I saw him hold things up and got frustrated there were as many times when he got the ball and was aggressive with his next move so I think he's been told and is trying. It may develop even further with more experience.

It's when NOD comes back that'll be the issue in terms of selection and I agree it shouldn't be this week on current info but who knows. When he does I think Ethan makes the perfect sub and that he and Banfield should rotate through that role based on opponent and B22 selections. I wouldn't be surprised to see Henry there at times too throughout the year but I'm hopeful he can get a off to good start and stay there.

I agree Longmuir can be a bit defensive but he's been building the squad and the gameplan so I think that's been the right approach. He has more tools, more experience and more confidence within the group now so I think that'll loosen the gameplan up a bit. He also has more useable flair on the list than he's had previously so I'm hoping that comes through on gameday.

I'm so glad that we'll finally have an idea of what the club thinks is our current B22 this afternoon/tomorrow afternoon, we've been going in circles for months now.

Event though we have a healthy list NOD is probably underdone and may need another run for Peel.

We won't be at full strength without him and Walters.

Sure but how does that explain the times when we tried the same thing 4 times in a row - kick to a contest near the boundary on the same side, only to have the contested ball come straight back inside our 50? Those were the bits that did my head in.

Yep, absolutely that was frustrating and I dearly hope that we've improved in that area this year. You may've noticed that it was late in the season that this was happening so I suspect that we'd moved through plan b, c, d etc and ran out of ideas by that time and we definitely need to get better this year and that's on our backline coach as well as JL. Having said that, when it (the long kick to the boundary) works, all's good and we don't notice a problem, and that's on the players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premiership Team

B. Young Pearce Walker
HB. Clark Cox Chapman
C. NOD Brodie Johnson
HF. Sturt Treacy Henry
F. Jackson Amiss Fredrick

R. Darcy Brayshaw Serong

I. Erasmus Aish Schultz Switta Worner

After the weekend's shitshow, I'm starting to think that it's almost time to move towards this line up sooner rather than later.

Get games into the youth
Give them ample to time to build the chemistry
Its a better balanced team anyway. More mobile.

Cox, Pearce, Young
Walker, Ryan, Clark

Johnson Darcy Jackson
Henry Serong Chapman

Switkowski, Sturt, Erasmus
Schultz, Amiss, Treacy

Brayshaw, O'Driscoll, Aish, Frederick

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back