Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serong definitely needs to nail those set shots but Brayshaw's play style/role in the midfield should give him more opportunities in front of goal.
Seems to already be that way?

If only one midfielder is kicking goals for us regularly it could be as much game style of the overall team, not just the personnel.

For me I think Erasmus and Johnson can kick goals every other game if they develop into the players we hope they do. Wingers contributing to scoreboard would help a lot too.

A vision of where we are, and where we may be come footy season.
Welcome back Dave.
421377552_234827679667177_1727381579684764309_n.jpg

I’ve been saying Cameron have been too defensive and that midfield should always make the finals even top 4 every season.
GWS’ list is far far talented than Fremantle. It’s not close.

All it needed was offensive tweaking. Hardly revolutionary.

Play Cognilio in his natural position. Who knew? Amazing how that works.

Hogan was a very very low fish high reward move. If it failed, ah well.

Himmelberg has gone from an average C grade forward to an elite defender within a season. Such an underrated player- great mark of the footy.

Toby Bedford would come into Fremantle side and be the perfect small forward. He’s a gun. Add Brent Daniels and Tony Greene probably makes that the best small forward group in the league.
Fremantle have none. Switkowski can’t kick goals, then the next small is Walters and Delean.

I thought GWS were the most impressive team in the finals last year. They were desperately unlucky (& crucified by umpires wanting an all Vic GF.

I reckon they were the only team who could have taken the Pies down, they were utterly fearless and on fire.

One of the teams to beat next year. And you’re right, there is no way we can match them on talent.

I know I'm slow but I just realised...
The most drastic outcome of our 1 point loss to Norf at home in Round 2 2023?
If only they had known it would have wiped that enormous grin off Clarko's face.
Harley's jumper has yellow not white.
That f****g point might be causing us pain for a decade plus
GIF by South Park

I know I'm slow but I just realised...
The most drastic outcome of our 1 point loss to Norf at home in Round 2 2023?
If only they had known it would have wiped that enormous grin off Clarko's face.
Harley's jumper has yellow not white.
That f****g point might be causing us pain for a decade plus
GIF by South Park
How many pick 1’s have been the best of their year? Not many. Add in the extra pressure of the West bs and he’ll be Jack Watts in no time.

How many pick 1’s have been the best of their year? Not many. Add in the extra pressure of the West bs and he’ll be Jack Watts in no time.

If he turns into a jack watts it would be delicious.

WCE have a good record with top picks, history suggests he will be very good. Luckily they are far from it all over the park and still have a core of senior players that will leave the game in the next two to three years.

Think pk75 nailed it here. The improvement in players such as Green, Callaghan (to be fair those two would be improving stars under any coach) and a few others was so notable.
Coniglio went from looking like a washed up has been to an AA level player.
Connor idun and Xav o Halloran were another two very underrated and hugely inproved players in 2023. Add Briggs to that list too who was a complete no name before last season.
Then you have people like Callum Brown and Toby Bedford having good seasons and importantly the coach got a tune out of Hogan for the first time since his Melbourne days.
They backed it up in the finals too. There’s little doubt to me Kingsley is the real deal as a coach.
They are bullish on that Gothard kid that came in via the draft as a small forward with pick 12, he could really impact this year given his position.
Haven’t even mentioned the 2022 number one draft pick….

As for hopper and taranto. They don’t lose too many guns when all is said and done. Those guys are B graders.
Cameron arguably the only true A grade star that has left GWS, and they fought tooth and nail to keep him.
You are spot on with Jezza being the one we wanted to keep

Btw, that was about the best review of our season that I’ve read …. You even know the players unlike the Vic media

Last edited:
You are spot on with Jezza being the one we wanted to keep

Btw, that was about the best review of our season that I’ve read …. You even know the players unlike the Vic media
We're used to being completely irrelevant to the Vic media....

Best of their year is speculative and subject to personal perspective and bias.

Of the players taken number 1 after 1992, before that all the players taken number 1 look pretty terrible, clubs that might feel shortchanged:

• 1993 Sydney - Gaspar went on to be an AA level backman after being poached by Richmond
  • 1994 Fremantle - White walked out on us and played his best football at Melbourne
  • 1997 Melbourne - Johnstone played 160 games for them but Ottens, Croad or Cornes might have been better?
  • 1998 Brisbane - Headland left after a couple of seasons but the rest of the top 10 was a crapshoot Longmuir had a shortened career Fosdike was an honest tryer, Josh Carr had a good career, Jude Bolton was a gun, Mark McVeigh had a good career, then Fitzgerald, Stevens, Vance and Hill were rubbish. Lenny Hayes at 11 the absolute standout.
  • 2008 Melbourne - Jack Watts is the cautionary tale of the player who was bigger and stronger at underage level and could not make the jump.
  • 2009 Melbourne - Tom Scully took off to GWS before he reached his best.
  • 2011 GWS - They persisted with Patton through injury only for both him and Cameron to leave them.
  • 2013 GWS - Boyd left after a year, won a flag for Western Bulldogs then retired.
  • 2014 St Kilda - McCartin's concussion battles are widely known.
  • 2021 North - Horne-Francis looks like being a gun... for someone else.

The rest would be pretty happy with the player they chose even if people think another player was better.

They're normally pretty good players though.

Mind you, you'd hope the number 1 draft pick would look good against the worst team of the AFL era. The standard wouldn't have been much higher than he played last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the players taken number 1 after 1992, before that all the players taken number 1 look pretty terrible, clubs that might feel shortchanged:

• 1993 Sydney - Gaspar went on to be an AA level backman after being poached by Richmond
  • 1994 Fremantle - White walked out on us and played his best football at Melbourne
  • 1997 Melbourne - Johnstone played 160 games for them but Ottens, Croad or Cornes might have been better?
  • 1998 Brisbane - Headland left after a couple of seasons but the rest of the top 10 was a crapshoot Longmuir had a shortened career Fosdike was an honest tryer, Josh Carr had a good career, Jude Bolton was a gun, Mark McVeigh had a good career, then Fitzgerald, Stevens, Vance and Hill were rubbish. Lenny Hayes at 11 the absolute standout.
  • 2008 Melbourne - Jack Watts is the cautionary tale of the player who was bigger and stronger at underage level and could not make the jump.
  • 2011 GWS - They persisted with Patton through injury only for both him and Cameron to leave them.
  • 2013 GWS - Boyd left after a year, won a flag for Western Bulldogs then retired.

The rest would be pretty happy with the player they chose even if people think another player was better.
Pretty fair assessment.

I think you can remove players who had their careers impacted by injury. Headland, Patton and McCartin, for example, could well have been the best of their draft years.

There would be some West Coast supporters with some serious cognitive dissonance issues if this happened 😂

A chunk of them still genuinely believe that their list is better than ours. They really do live on their own nuffy planet, isolated from any understanding about the rest of the league

Pretty fair assessment.

I think you can remove players who had their careers impacted by injury. Headland, Patton and McCartin, for example, could well have been the best of their draft years.
Interesting that the giants salary dumped both Patton and Scully the the hawks in the same trade period two No 1s with one stone

Matt Rowell?

absolute gun early for Suns, then hit by significant early injury.

now eclipsed by Anderson, imo.

First Weitering down with a bad injury and now Jack silvagni down with an ACL injury. Poor bloke I wouldnt wish an ACL on anyone.

You could add McGrath from 2016, but it was a pretty uninspiring first round.

I don't think GC or Essendon have any issue with the player they picked compared to the ones they didn't.

2016 "best players" are probably English, Bolton and Stewart.

Essendon got a best 23 player who has played 134 games in 7 years, they are fine with their choice.

Sucks for him personally but Silvagni doing his ACL is a win for the Blues.

I don't think GC or Essendon have any issue with the player they picked compared to the ones they didn't.

2016 "best players" are probably English, Bolton and Stewart.

Essendon got a best 23 player who has played 134 games in 7 years, they are fine with their choice.
I guess some years are like that, but if we had pick 1, I’d want more than a 200 game B grader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back