Toast Welcome To Freo Ollie Murphy (pick 41 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome aboard fella!

Last edited:
6:18 2km is elite for a 200cm player. This young man, and he is young, the youngest on our list by almost half a year, is a key forward/ruck who can play AA level in defense.

Straight to gym. You better believe straight to gym.
Likely to spend the start of 2024 in the Peel Ressies, so he's got time on his side.

Likely to spend the start of 2024 in the Peel Ressies, so he's got time on his side.

I would expect a 200cm strong marking player who can run like a midfielder is going to take about 20 marks a game in the reserves, even as a bean pole. Start him forward and just run arc to arc

Did we watch the same video? Not sure he lost many if any aerial contests and there were heaps of them with how they were getting dominated
Only a set of highlights but looked like he competed really well in the air, backed himself to get to the ball at times. Don't know the numbers but Walter certainly looked to have a fair bit of size on him.

Wonder if Walter will be an early bloom that doesn't rise quite like they'd hope. What an absolute man child, he looks like a full grown man playing against boys.

On Murphy though, I'm most impressed by his composed and accurate kicking for his height, you always love a kpd that can kick well.

Wonder if Walter will be an early bloom that doesn't rise quite like they'd hope. What an absolute man child, he looks like a full grown man playing against boys.

On Murphy though, I'm most impressed by his composed and accurate kicking for his height, you always love a kpd that can kick well.
He reminds me a bit of Brennan Cox - very good in the air and kicks pretty well. Looks to have more footy smarts though than Brennan did at 18.

Walter looks like Charlie Curnow after Curnow had been in the system for two years!

when they did the follow up interview he didn't sound too excited, but he really is just a kid and it's all sinking in
People forget sometimes these kids are humans first and footballers second. I reckon once he gets an emu export in his hand, a tour of the south west and a free skydive over Lancelin he'll settle in fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People forget sometimes these kids are humans first and footballers second. I reckon once he gets an emu export in his hand, a tour of the south west and a free skydive over Lancelin he'll settle in fine.
And there's a lot to sink in at that age, leaving home and travelling across the country in the next week is not something that most 18yos have to face.

He reminds me a bit of Brennan Cox - very good in the air and kicks pretty well. Looks to have more footy smarts though than Brennan did at 18.

Walter looks like Charlie Curnow after Curnow had been in the system for two years!

Harris Andrews 😬

Thank * Walter moved to Qld

Eagles would have taken him at #1 and he would've teamed with Allen for 10 years

Having Murphy and Davies as long term succession plans for Pearce and Cox respectively is good list management, while McDonald is short term cover for both.
Good pick, glad we have him on the list even if hopefully he doesn’t need to play a game in the seniors for the next two years.
McDonald is only 27. Be interesting to see if he gets games or is purely here for depth.

Pretty good? Did you watch his wafl finals? He struggled
Davies wasn’t great if the GF but played well in the other finals. In the Prelim against Subi held Sokol goalless and only 7 possesions. Sokol got really frustrated with the close checking.

Aside from a few brain fades his first season and the development over the year was impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back