Toast Welcome To Freo Jack Delean (pick 60 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, he goaled via leading mark.
Goaled via crumbing,
Goaled via marking a one on one contest.

That's the goal scoring trifecta.

It was hard to ID who was marking him in the contest in general but it would make sense to line up Conrad on him. Whoever it was, he was able to impact.

Proactive type, trying to take on the game but aren't all AA level small fwds like that?

I double checked his rookie me profile to see what the knock on him was to see him slide to pick 60, they list the below, frankly, I don’t care if he only averages 4.5 kicks a game if 2.3 of them are goals!

STRENGTHS
AERIAL ABILITY
CLEAN HANDS
FORWARD CRAFT
GOAL SENSE
X-FACTOR

IMPROVEMENTS
ACCUMULATION
ENDURANCE
SPEED

I double checked his rookie me profile to see what the knock on him was to see him slide to pick 60, they list the below, frankly, I don’t care if he only averages 4.5 kicks a game if 2.3 of them are goals!

STRENGTHS
AERIAL ABILITY
CLEAN HANDS
FORWARD CRAFT
GOAL SENSE
X-FACTOR

IMPROVEMENTS
ACCUMULATION
ENDURANCE
SPEED
Those strengths should overcome those weaknesses as far as being a small fwd goes imo. It kinda sounds like Ballas.

STRENGTHS
AERIAL ABILITY
CLEAN HANDS
FORWARD CRAFT
GOAL SENSE
X-FACTOR

IMPROVEMENTS
ACCUMULATION
ENDURANCE
SPEED
Those strengths and weaknesses are pretty much Michael Walters to a tee when he was drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those strengths and weaknesses are pretty much Michael Walters to a tee when he was drafted.
Walters was a top 10 talent that slid due to what turned out to be justified concerns about his professionalism. Not sure Delean was ever rated that highly.

Walters only real knock was speed I thought. His endurance was only lacking because he was unfit rather than having a naturally small tank.

BTW I had picked out Delean as a player I liked the look of pre draft day based on the foolproof method of watching 15 or 20 highlight videos. I.e. I'm not coming in anti Delean, I have high hopes. I'm just thinking some expectation tempering is in order. You put Sokol in a few training exercises at Freo he would probably stand out, but we all know he'd be eaten alive in an actual AFL game.

Last edited:
Walters was a top 10 talent that slide due to what turned out to be justified concerns about his professionalism. Not sure Delean was ever rated that highly.

Walters only real knock was speed I thought. His endurance was only lacking because he was unfit rather than having a naturally small tank.

BTW I had picked out Delean as a player I liked the look of pre draft day based on the foolproof method of watching 15 or 20 highlight videos. I.e. I'm not coming in anti Delean, I have high hopes. I'm just thinking some expectation tempering is in order. You put Sokol in a few training exercises at Freo he would probably stand out, but we all know he'd be eaten alive in an actual AFL game.

He was projected top 10 coming into this year

He was projected top 10 coming into this year
I just checked some of the early draft rankings from April they had him at 17! So was certainly up there early in the year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was talking about where he was likely ranked by the pros, not where randos on ESPN or the BigFooty draft board* had him last summer before they had time to start herding. Twomey, who takes his stuff from the horses mouths, at no point had him in his top 30 prospects this year, nor was he a 'player to watch in 2023'.

(* Chris25 had him at 35 in August)

I was talking about where he was likely ranked by the pros, not where randos on ESPN or the BigFooty draft board* had him last summer before they had time to start herding. Twomey, who takes his stuff from the horses mouths, at no point had him in his top 30 prospects this year, nor was he a 'player to watch in 2023'.

(* Chris25 had him at 35 in August)
From everything I saw he's every bit worth a 30s pick. It's making me think of Chad Warner's development after where he got drafted in the order. Delean might just sky-rocket.
He wouldn't be eaten alive physically. I think at his size, he can hold his own against what will be small defenders in AFL. Certainly agree that seasoned defenders will have his measure at times with footy smarts and experience but won't be manhandling him.

From everything I saw he's every bit worth a 30s pick. It's making me think of Chad Warner's development after where he got drafted in the order. Delean might just sky-rocket.
He wouldn't be eaten alive physically. I think at his size, he can hold his own against what will be small defenders in AFL. Certainly agree that seasoned defenders will have his measure at times with footy smarts and experience but won't be manhandling him.
With Sokol example I was meaning beaten due to lack of heigh, agility and speed rather than strength or nous. I.E. Being a better footballer, and I am sure Sokol is a better one than a large percentage of AFL defenders, doesn't help when they can out reach, sprint and jump you.

Last edited:

STRENGTHS
AERIAL ABILITY
CLEAN HANDS
FORWARD CRAFT
GOAL SENSE
X-FACTOR

IMPROVEMENTS
ACCUMULATION
ENDURANCE
SPEED
Number of possessions can be full of empty stats. Quick decision making is underrated.

Coaches talk about defensive pressure but not a lot of talk about offensive pressure. What I mean is that a dangerous player can't be left alone and the direct defender can't zone off or run off. Therefore, slowing ball movement.

Delean kicked 6 goals against men in three games. With a preseason and being more mature he will be a least a 3 goal WAFL player.

In Walls we trust, and he seems to have a good strike rate with later picks.

Number of possessions can be full of empty stats. Quick decision making is underrated.

Coaches talk about defensive pressure but not a lot of talk about offensive pressure. What I mean is that a dangerous player can't be left alone and the direct defender can't zone off or run off. Therefore, slowing ball movement.

Delean kicked 6 goals against men in three games. With a preseason and being more mature he will be a least a 3 goal WAFL player.

In Walls we trust, and he seems to have a good strike rate with later picks.

If Delean can become a 3 goal WAFL player then we have hit gold. That would put him in elite goal kicking company in that competition.

I am excited to see how he progresses as 2024 unfolds. From all reports his has potential.

If Delean can become a 3 goal WAFL player then we have hit gold. That would put him in elite goal kicking company in that competition.

I am excited to see how he progresses as 2024 unfolds. From all reports his has potential.

Potential he definitely has

So his strengths are a lot of the things you can't teach and weaknesses all things that can be trained?

Nice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back