Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO they should get a team out of Victoria and hopefully the Roos remain s**t and it's an easy decision.
Too late for that to happen. Should have happened back in 86 when the EAgles and Bears signed to join the broke VFL.
WA and the Bears should have stood with SA and held the VFL to ransom.

Agree overall I think the MSD is really another rookie draft and it’s value is slightly overrated but you missed the best one of all so far - Jai Newcombe. He’s looking like a 250 game inside midfielder at this stage.
North picked edwards ahead of him - another stuff up by Norf
Forgot about Newcombe. You could argue he is mature age. Was 2 months shy of turning 20 when selected in the MSD.

John Noble just turned 22.

Ryan Gardiner was 21 and about to turn 22.

Snell, who has now been delisted but played around 60games for Essendon was around 21/22 when selected as well.

That seems to be the sweet spot those a couple of years out of draft age. Sam Clohessy has now been picked up by GCS but I’d imagine he would be the perfect sort of addition come May/June MSD. If the MSD had been around a little earlier Tim Kelly at around 22/23 would have been a perfect addition.

Gold Coast are a bit unique I guess. 11 top ten picks on the list right now. It’s absolutely ****ed really.
A pick 27 (Sharp) to them is just a nothing pick, an afterthought.

We are here salivating over our picks 35, 41 and 60.
Different planet entirely.
I’m happy with the 2 year rookie deal for sharp on minimum chips. He gets a fair chance here to show it he’s up to it without is committing too much to him.
If he has a really good season next year and plays most games he will get a deserved extension at the end of his first year.
By my calculations we’re not doing too bad with top 10 picks either:

Brayshaw
Serong
Young
Jackson
Brodie
Erasmus
Amiss
JOM

One of them will cease to exist when Tasmania joins... that's why guess.

It may even be both. Whichever performs worse the next two seasons is removed or merged.
As soon as Clarkson was appointed coach I had a suspicion they would be relocating to Tas, he was their spokesperson for the team while in his year of paid leave from coaching, strongly lobbying the AFL and federal politicians for funding. I doubt he’d go to the Roos for 4 years then up and leave once Tas team starts up.
Part of me also hopes the handouts North are getting now are designed to not completely compromise the draft for 2-3 years when the Tas team does start up like it was for GWS and GC.

Edit: they are playing 5 games in Tas in 2024, 4 home games in Hobart plus an away game against the Hawks in Launceston.

Last edited:
This sounds like complete nonsense. You are basically saying Dew deliberately left a best 22 player out of his team for the entire season? Therefore consciously making the team weaker?

Even though he was under IMMENSE pressure to get wins and save his job? Think about it for a minute.

Yeah, nah.
It's not nonsense and plenty of coaches do that. Why would you play a player that you know is gone at the end of the year? Also, Dew didn't seem to give two shits about who he played on the wing, didn't rate the position at all.

By my calculations we’re not doing too bad with top 10 picks either:

Brayshaw
Serong
Young
Jackson
Brodie
Erasmus
Amiss
JOM
You can add James Aish (pick 7) to that list.

We just traded a couple recently in Logue (8) and Henry (9).

Additional first rounders (not top 10)
Chapman (14), Clark (15), Sturt (17)

You can add James Aish (pick 7) to that list.

We just traded a couple recently in Logue (8) and Henry (9).

Additional first rounders (not top 10)
Chapman (14), Clark (15), Sturt (17)
I had a nagging thought there may have been another.

9 top ten picks is exceptional. We should really be contending within 1-2 years, especially with the three 10-20 picks you mentioned plus astute pick ups such as Darcy, Ryan, Cox, Pearce, Johnson (how he slid to the second round I’ll never know).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a nagging thought there may have been another.

9 top ten picks is exceptional. We should really be contending within 1-2 years, especially with the three 10-20 picks you mentioned plus astute pick ups such as Darcy, Ryan, Cox, Pearce, Johnson (how he slid to the second round I’ll never know).
I think it's too early to make a big call on the 2021 draft, but it looks relatively strong in the first round thus far.

Top 10 - JHF, S Darcy, Callaghan, Daicos, M Andrew, Rachele, Ward, Amiss, Gibcus, Erasmus
From that I wouldn't put Johnson ahead of many of them at all, although the talls it's still very hard to tell.
Erasmus probably the only one clearly so far, but plenty of time for it to go either way.

Next 10 - Wanganeen-Milera, Sinn, Hobbs, Chesser, Aleer, Wilmot, T Brown, Sheldrick, Van Rooyen, Lohmann
The next 10 there's definitely an argument for quite a few; from my view only Wanganeen-Milera, Sheldrick and Van Rooyen clearly ahead.
Brisbane's picks have looked pretty good, I'd put them on a similar level.

I wasn't immediately on the Johnson bandwagon but I liked some of the signs this year.
Hope he continues to develop and Erasmus shows what he's capable of as well.

I guess the long-winded point I was trying to make is it doesn't look like a horrendous call from other recruiters - yet.

What's the point in comparing both players to JK early years?

Because we are buying Logan prior to his best football, not on what he already provides. JK took a long time to become the player he ended up being

It's not nonsense and plenty of coaches do that. Why would you play a player that you know is gone at the end of the year? Also, Dew didn't seem to give two shits about who he played on the wing, didn't rate the position at all.
It may be that he was stunted where he was, but Sharp, even in his best games to date, looked like he needed to develop a lot to hold his spot in that team.

I think it's too early to make a big call on the 2021 draft, but it looks relatively strong in the first round thus far.

Top 10 - JHF, S Darcy, Callaghan, Daicos, M Andrew, Rachele, Ward, Amiss, Gibcus, Erasmus
From that I wouldn't put Johnson ahead of many of them at all, although the talls it's still very hard to tell.
Erasmus probably the only one clearly so far, but plenty of time for it to go either way.

Next 10 - Wanganeen-Milera, Sinn, Hobbs, Chesser, Aleer, Wilmot, T Brown, Sheldrick, Van Rooyen, Lohmann
The next 10 there's definitely an argument for quite a few; from my view only Wanganeen-Milera, Sheldrick and Van Rooyen clearly ahead.
Brisbane's picks have looked pretty good, I'd put them on a similar level.

I wasn't immediately on the Johnson bandwagon but I liked some of the signs this year.
Hope he continues to develop and Erasmus shows what he's capable of as well.

I guess the long-winded point I was trying to make is it doesn't look like a horrendous call from other recruiters - yet.
I think the Johnson vs Chesser comparison will be the most important one going forward.

It's always fun to take pot shots at those stupid "post draft ratings" that happen around now. This article sums it up nicely:

If you compared them at the same point in their career, you would take McDonald 32 goals in his third season over Kennedy 7 goals in his third season. Or averages McDonald 1.7 goals per game versus Kennedy 1 goal a game.
I like Logan, but this stat is misleading somewhat. In his first 3 years Kennedy
hardly played at the top level.
In 2006 the Blues were bottom feeders, in 2008 WC were wooden spooners so
the delivery, gameplan, coaching is not equal.
Kennedy ended up around 99kg, Logan has a long way to go yet.
Sure he is worth a first and second round IMO, but two firsts is a reach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back