• McDonald

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Dyson Heppell

Votes: 11 12.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Another question for clarity.
Best career ie. most awards, medals and All Australian team, or greatest number of games at AFL level including WAFL or equivalent?

Best career ie. most awards, medals and All Australian team, or greatest number of games at AFL level including WAFL or equivalent?
Very important, Fyfe is right up there in the best Dockers ever but will be beaten by games by some very inferior players, especially if it involves players leaving.

I have to be honest, this crop isn't really that interesting.

At Freo...

I voted McDonald and think he will be the best player for us and have the most impact given he stays fit.
Simpson feels like he'll be Banfield 2.0 on and off the field. Good for the club not the B22.
I don't see anything in Delean.
Sharp not great but could compete with Simpson to play the most games and be on the list the longest.
I don't know anything about Jones.
Murphy?

Whoever of Delean or Simpson can secure a B22 spot this year will be on track to be the leagues first 15x premiership player.

The talls likely will take longer...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I picked Delean because I like his attitude and enthusiasm.
He’s also got the least competition for the spot he plays and should get a start before the other 18yo’s. He also reminds me of Ballas and we have needed on of those since he was put out to pasture.
Sharp is most likely to get a game the soonest and will be solid without being a star. I think Stanley and even NOD could overtake in the next couple of years but will be good to have as a reliable wing option.
McDonald at 27 realistically has 4-5 years to get whatever he can out of his career. Looks like great depth and will get games purely based on Pearce and Cox not being able to string together a whole season (Pearce did this year but should have been rested to get that ankle right, suspect it’s part of Merriman’s “play through the pain” conditioning program but it was to the detriment of the team’s performance).
Murphy looks 3-4 years away from a debut and is behind McDonald and Davies in the pecking order.
Simpson looks great, unfortunately for him he’s small and we are stacked for inside mids. His best bet is to overtake Switowski for the forward/mid role, however as a member of the leadership group, he seems to get played regardless of form. We also have a lot of other contenders for that inside/outside mid role with Johnson, Stanley, Erasmus all well ahead of him.
Odin I have no idea about, would need to push past Reidy and Knobel to get a ruck berth at peel let alone Freo. His best chance is as a forward ruck but would need to overtake Reidy and hope for injuries to both Jackson and Treacy to even be considered, I get strong Strnadica vibes from his interviews.

Last edited:
I have to be honest, this crop isn't really that interesting.

At Freo...

I voted McDonald and think he will be the best player for us and have the most impact given he stays fit.
Simpson feels like he'll be Banfield 2.0 on and off the field. Good for the club not the B22.
I don't see anything in Delean.
Sharp not great but could compete with Simpson to play the most games and be on the list the longest.
I don't know anything about Jones.
Murphy?
I hope there's more interest than you're seeing right now.
There's a reasonable ground of belief that each of our 3 draft picks is something of a slider.
Simpson's speed is exciting.
Delean has some freaky goal sense.
Murphy is a KP swingman who will ripen just as Pearce/Cox fade.
Sharp has definite upside on his GC experience and his age profile is hitting prime in 2024/25. For reasons other than his ability he has not had the opportunities at GC that he might have had elsewhere.
As many have pointed out, McDonald is much needed and good quality depth. Pearce has the sort of body that will benfit from rests ie McDonald makes Pearce better.

Whatever you measure it on personally, best career is already a subjective topic.

well, its kinds of splitting hairs isnt it when they're all going to be premiership players?
That's another reason why I am gutted Freo didn't win that 2013 grand final.

I Will always say the 2008 draft was legendary.

• Stephen Hill
  • Suban
  • Ballantyne
  • Zac Clarke
  • Michael Walters.

Greg Broughton, Clancee Pearce and Matt De Boer in the rookie list.

Broughton was gone at the end of 2012. Clancee was injured.

The rest of the blokes played in the 2013 AFL Grand final.

I hope there's more interest than you're seeing right now.
There's a reasonable ground of belief that each of our 3 draft picks is something of a slider.
Simpson's speed is exciting.
Delean has some freaky goal sense.
Murphy is a KP swingman who will ripen just as Pearce/Cox fade.
Sharp has definite upside on his GC experience and his age profile is hitting prime in 2024/25. For reasons other than his ability he has not had the opportunities at GC that he might have had elsewhere.
As many have pointed out, McDonald is much needed and good quality depth. Pearce has the sort of body that will benfit from rests ie McDonald makes Pearce better.
I know it's a bit strange considering where he was picked, but i have the highest hopes for Delean.

I think it's because we need him the most.

Back