Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like O'Meara is far from done. I think he deserves that 5th midfielder spot over Johnson and Erasmus, play Johnson on a wing and Erasmus up forward with stints onball. I think you'll find that players like O'Meara (and Brayshaw) will benefit having a big body like Fyfe in the midfield to actually get them the ball.

I feel like O'Meara is far from done. I think he deserves that 5th midfielder spot over Johnson and Erasmus, play Johnson on a wing and Erasmus up forward with stints onball. I think you'll find that players like O'Meara (and Brayshaw) will benefit having a big body like Fyfe in the midfield to actually get them the ball.
We need more than five midfielders.

We need more than five midfielders.
Think they mean 5 inside mids, add Johnson and Sharp on the wings and you have 7 which is pretty much all you can fit in. AB, Serong, Fyfe, Young, JOM, Johnson and Sharp. In fact it’s probably too many with JOM having to spend time forward to allow Switta and even Jackson some midfield time.

Think they mean 5 inside mids, add Johnson and Sharp on the wings and you have 7 which is pretty much all you can fit in. AB, Serong, Fyfe, Young, JOM, Johnson and Sharp. In fact it’s probably too many with JOM having to spend time forward to allow Switta and even Jackson some midfield time.
Sharp is not an inside mid lol. On your list we only have 6 which is about right? I want to trial moving JOM to sub and give his spot to Ras.

Sharp is not an inside mid lol. On your list we only have 6 which is about right? I want to trial moving JOM to sub and give his spot to Ras.
No, I added Sharp and Johnson as the 2 outside mids! you can’t have 6 inside mids, it’s too many, especially if we also play Switta and Jackson at times as well.

Edit: agree with JOM to the sub, but I’d play an actual forward (Sturt or Emmett) not Ras in his place.
Freo under JLo have always gone with 8,7,7 the murky bit is if you call Switta and Jackson mids or forwards.
Mids (8) Darcy, Fyfe, Serong, Bradshaw, Young, Johnson, Sharp, JOM
Forwards (7) Amiss, Jackson, Treacy, Walters, Sturt, Frederick, Switta.
Backs (7) Pearce, Cox, Ryan, Walker, Clark, Chapman, Aish.
With the amount of time Switta and Jackson spend NOT in the forward line, I’d prefer we play a genuine 6th forward and have Jackson and Switta share both the 7th forward and 8th midfielder positions.

Last edited:
Cut JOM some slack he wasn’t awful last year. Talented WA player who had injuries early in his career that stunted is AFL star trajectory. Few on here still don’t treat him as one of our own..let’s back him in to find form. We are a more lethal team ball in hand with him in the team.
He wasn’t aweful and he does have great skills (something our team lacks) he just doesn’t suit our needs, Brae and Serong have that small/medium mid role locked away, he doesn’t have the ball winning ability of Fyfe, Brodie or Serong, isn’t fast enough to bust out of stoppage or apply elite pressure. I liked that they trialled him on the wing in the last intra club as the congested wing is somewhere he could be effective but not full time.
It’s great to have him provide depth for AB or Serong but I can’t see where he fits if everyone is healthy.

JOM has one of the best inside 50 passes in our team (observation only - too lazy to check actual stats to back that up!!🤣), an area we’ve really struggled with of late.
I’m more than happy for him to be on the end of a handball chain to deliver to our forwards.
Whether that means he plays mid or high half forward is up to the coaching staff but for mine that’s where he adds the most value to our team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ive watched a few of our wins on replay lately, whenever we made moves in games it seemed to councide with JOM having 8 or so possessions for the quarter, winning contested possessions and delivering inside 50. He'd want to average a few more possesions per game this year though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Injuries
FB: Ryan Pearce Walker
HB: Clark Cox Chapman
C: Sharp Young Brayshaw
HF: Emmett Jackson Frederick
FF: Walters Amiss Treacy

R: Darcy Serong Johnson

I: Fyfe Aish Omeara Simpson

S: Switkowski

Injuries
HB: Clark Mcdonald Aish

I: Fyfe Wagner Omeara Simpson

Everyone seems to have their different opinions of him but I personally do not understand the Switta love, average on nearly every single stat including a goal average of 0.6 as a small forward...... doesn't fill me with much excitement.

Everyone seems to have their different opinions of him but I personally do not understand the Switta love, average on nearly every single stat including a goal average of 0.6 as a small forward...... doesn't fill me with much excitement.
I guess it's the stuff he doesn't get a stat for that makes him valuable to the team.

For me he’s quick, got good hands and a great attack at the footy. He’s involved with scoring a lot but doesn’t kick enough goals himself.

Simpson, Draper and Davies all looked good yesterday for the bits they played but there is a reason why they weren’t in the starting team yesterday. They’re an unknown at AFL level and that matters.

Well personally I don't judge fish by how well they climb trees, so to speak.
You're not going to value what Switkowski provides if you incorrectly label his position. He isn't and never will be a small forward in the traditional sense.
If you understand what his role is, then you will appreciate how good he is at it.

Longmuir Backs in Switkowski

When on song great operator in traffic, clean hands collecting the ground ball, heaps of pressure and a withering burst of pace. On the downside does get injured a lot and as such often lacks the continuity to be on song.

No Injuries
HB: Clark Cox Chapman

I: Fyfe Aish Omeara Simpson

Injuries
HB: Clark Mcdonald Aish