I'm out of love with Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Is his pressure even as good as it used to be?

I believe so. His best year was 2013, he had 110 tackles that year. He is currently on 110 with two games to go. He is also ranked 17th in the league for tackles which is huge considering everyone else in the top 30 is a midfielder.

I honestly think he is cooked by the time he marks the ball which is why he is missing these easy shots

In reality, if he gets his kicking accuracy back he would be an important part of our team.

Someone mentioned he was over extending he leg in his kicking action, but it is probably too late for him to rectify it this season. I don't see anyone who can replace him, unless Duffy was given a shot.

After such a successful 2013 with his 'routine', it's become such a weight in his mind now. It looks like he is overthinking every little bit of it to get it absolutely perfect and by the time he goes in to kick now he's just a mess. He's been missing set shots all year.

In reality, if he gets his kicking accuracy back he would be an important part of our team.

Someone mentioned he was over extending he leg in his kicking action, but it is probably too late for him to rectify it this season. I don't see anyone who can replace him, unless Duffy was given a shot.
That was me. I was listening to Brad Hardy on 6PR (who seems to have the Dockers as his second team) and he said straight after a Mayne miss what was wrong with his action - over extending on his kick so losing balance on his planted foot resulting in loss of control over the direction the ball is traveling in. I'm hoping someone at the club passed that on to Mayne or Brad gives him a call.

That was me. I was listening to Brad Hardy on 6PR (who seems to have the Dockers as his second team) and he said straight after a Mayne miss what was wrong with his action - over extending on his kick so losing balance on his planted foot resulting in loss of control over the direction the ball is traveling in. I'm hoping someone at the club passed that on to Mayne or Brad gives him a call.

he is also clearly getting too close to the man on the mark, which seems insane when he carefully marks out his run up.

sometimes when you have a strict routine for something over time you mechanically do the routine but you dont actually do it. I think that makes sense. like a routine becomes a process more like a habit and the psychological effect no longer accompanies the routine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone actually take into account how exhausted he could be at being the defensive forward that it has been affecting his offensive weapon - goalkicking? It's interesting to notice that ever since Ballas' injury he has had to tackle and run more then before. Bet he's wishing Tabs as well as Ballas would be back, so he can return to the third tall/secondary target.
At the end of the day he's a forward though, he has to kick goals. I'm on board with the pressure puts on helping us create other goals, but it's not like the rest of the forward line is lighting it up because of it.
Would he be more tired during his goalkicking this year than he was a couple of years ago?
He's always gone hell for leather.

If Mayne wasn't forward and without Balla can you imagine how quickly the ball would come out of there without his pressure. A Pearce/Taberner, Griff ,Sandi and Pav are hardly tackling and chasing machines.

These aren't the guys Mayne is competing with for a spot. It's Crozier and Ballantyne.

If Mayne wasn't forward and without Balla can you imagine how quickly the ball would come out of there without his pressure. A Pearce/Taberner, Griff ,Sandi and Pav are hardly tackling and chasing machines.
That's a poor argument. So you say if we replace all of our small and medium forwards with talls we wouldn't be able to apply as much pressure. Of course we would struggle.

I agree.

When you compare him to other medium sized fowards like LeCras, Breust, Wingard he is basically the reason Freo lacks "firepower". Ballantyne is just as useless.

Most annoying thing Mayney does is he bounces around like a twit standing on the mark when opposition are kicking it out of defense. Put that energy towards kicking goals you nugget!
I was at training one day and RTB gave someone a spray for not jumping arround on the mark duing a match simulation drill.

I disagree. Routines are important.

Look at Matty Lloyd, it used to s**t me when he threw the grass up but it was all part of his routine and worked.

Trouble is the routine looks silly when you're missing vital kicks. Dunstall didn't have a routine ... he just went back and kicked 'em (no dribble kicks). I think Mayne's elaborate routine is only serving to build the pressure on him. In any case, we have to face the fact that the forwards not kicking enough goals is what's holding us back at the moment.

I don't think Chris' routine is elaborate. He seems to have distilled it down to the basics. Mark the mark, mark where you intend to kick, 2 deep breaths and run in and kick (the goal). Seems pretty good to me. Speaking of routines how about big Benny Brown. Go back, swing the ball up over your head run in and kick. He never misses.
It reminds me of a mate in grade 5 who had exactly the same routine, worked a treat for him too. He used the same routine for his bowling action in cricket except he used to close one eye to line the seam up with the middle stump. Didn't have quite as much success with that routine unfortunately. :(

These aren't the guys Mayne is competing with for a spot. It's Crozier and Ballantyne.

Ballantyne will be back to apply the pressure and assist Mayne.Crosier needs to get in the gym and on the weights to build up his strength before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Mayne and Balla for forward pressure.

Ballantyne will be back to apply the pressure and assist Mayne.Crosier needs to get in the gym and on the weights to build up his strength before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Mayne and Balla for forward pressure.
Not much good locking it in if they can't finish it off and kick the goals.

Oh that's someone else's job.

Who do you suggest?
Salim, I have absolutely no idea, Duffy isn't lifting his game like you think a player would when they could potential take a spot in the team. I'm really at a loss with our forward line, as much as I bag out Mayne and Ballas - and I know I do - i think our forward line strategy/structure seems to be the biggest issue.

However it kills me and I'm sure it kills the team when forwards miss simply scoring opportunities like Mayne has this year. It says something about our forward line when Mayne is our third highest goalscorer for the year.

It's too late to change much now, we need to play to our strengths. Hopefully now that our backline is set we can run with the 2 talls and resting ruck fwdline we had at the start of the season. Pav, Pearce and Griff. Then Mayne is the 3rd/4th tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back