Review Find Someone Who Loves You Like Freo Loves Alphabet Stadium - Rd 20 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game and really enjoyable to watch.

It's great watching fringe/young players like Treacy, Wagner, Henry, Sturt, Erasmus and Stanley starting to grow and progress - it's really that Best 15-25 that needs to become solid and reliable depth, and I've got a good feeling about most of them.

Felt like I was the only one barracking for Hamling all year, I like Cox but Hamling at his best is pure defensive class and works better with Pearce (not a coincidence Pearce played his best game of the year).

I don't know the contract/list management situation but if 2025 is technically our 'window' then Hamling could heavily feature in that period if he stays fit and healthy. I'd be redeveloping Cox elsewhere in the ground.

If Hamling can start running with the ball he could be a weapon.

A few times he should’ve taken off and opened things right up for us

Brodie signed a 3 year extension (so same length as JOM) only to be dropped the very next week.
JOM is on thin ice, but being in the leadership group has saved him IMO.
Jaegar has been solid all year and did a role yesterday as a defensive fwd with midfield stints.

Erasmus/Johnson are the future and we need to pump as many games into them in the next few years..but did anyone see Erasmus disposal yesterday????

JOM is way ahead of those two (currently) and if Brodie can’t find a way to run both ways he’ll be behind him also.

Let me just add JOM had 30 and 1 against the pies and 26 against Sydney so just hold your horses.

I personally feel we’ll go one more year with him in the midfield then last 2 years as a fwd/sub.

JOM is one of the major reasons our centre square clearance work has been average this season. His agility is poor and his pace for a chase down tackle is slow. He’s Mundy without the size / strength to break tackles. We need to move past him in the middle.

He took a good 6-8 games to settle into an average player. The Brisbane game whatever round that was, was the first time he committed to finding the ball and contributing. He’s had some above average games this season, but it will be a zero brownlow votes, low (possibly none) coaches votes season.

He’s not going to get quicker or more agile at his age. For a mature age recruit, straight into leadership group, 29 year old, with 3 more seasons on contract, he’s been quite crap. He sits in the 18-22nd selected players and by next year I’d imagine he’ll sit 22-26th on the list.

JOM is one of the major reasons our centre square clearance work has been average this season. His agility is poor and his pace for a chase down tackle is slow. He’s Mundy without the size / strength to break tackles. We need to move past him in the middle.

He took a good 6-8 games to settle into an average player. The Brisbane game whatever round that was, was the first time he committed to finding the ball and contributing. He’s had some above average games this season, but it will be a zero brownlow votes, low (possibly none) coaches votes season.

He’s not going to get quicker or more agile at his age. For a mature age recruit, straight into leadership group, 29 year old, with 3 more seasons on contract, he’s been quite crap. He sits in the 18-22nd selected players and by next year I’d imagine he’ll sit 22-26th on the list.
Think you will be disappointed. Reckon in a years time they’ll slowly transfer him to a permanent fwd role, but he’ll remain best 22. High footy iq and is stronger in the contest than most in our team.

Reckon he’ll poll votes in a couple of
games. Dees win comes to mind.

Need to get JoM to 100 games though, even if it is 60 sub vests. Just seems like the dude to produce an absolute prodigy offspring.
Good point.
A lot of people forget before those patella tendon injuries (to both knees too I think?) the dude was basically a bit lesser version of judd
Genuine A grade football talent

* I guess in some lame way of satisfaction he only got 98 games with hawks so at least those flogs won’t have first dibs either

Although definitely good win yesterday, need keep things into perspective.

Cats did seem to have an off day. Few really bad turnovers we had early on they didn't punish us.

The style of play until last quarter was bit chip around. The brand of footy during that 4 game win streak is what I prefer see from us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think O’Meara will be on thin ice with a full list once MJ & Ras come on a bit more? I would play Brodie over him too.

Probably.... He turns 30 in february of next season.

Crazy we signed JOM to a 4 year deal. That means he will be 32, almost 33 when his contract is done in 2026.

You think Matthew Johnson and Neil Erasmus will be well established and dockers are well into an era of sustained finals by 2025-6

Jaegar has been solid all year and did a role yesterday as a defensive fwd with midfield stints.

Erasmus/Johnson are the future and we need to pump as many games into them in the next few years..but did anyone see Erasmus disposal yesterday????

JOM is way ahead of those two (currently) and if Brodie can’t find a way to run both ways he’ll be behind him also.

I cant comment too much on Erasmus and Johnson about yesterdays cats game. But yeah I agree... both should have more games pumped into them this season. There is 4 games left So I dont care what happens to both of them.

You could let them both play the remaining 4 games or at worst give them 2 games each from the bench. Either scenario wont hurt them or bother me one bit.
Let me just add JOM had 30 and 1 against the pies and 26 against Sydney so just hold your horses.

I personally feel we’ll go one more year with him in the midfield then last 2 years as a fwd/sub.

I think thats the case too. JOM will play in the middle next season then in 2025-6, rotate off the forward flank, midfield and bench.

Walters has done well roatating off the bench, then forward flank then on the wing. But thats expected. Walters trains and works hard.

I always think that when we play down there. I would guess without checking that we would have the best record of any oppo club for wins there as a percentage of games played.

And no one. Ever. Ever. Brings up the fact that we’re the only club that’s ever been made to play a final there & we won it so have a 100% record for finals played there.

It’s such a natural reference point yet it’s as if it never happened according to the Vic media.
In Cats' last 13 (I think) games at Alphabet Stadium they've only had 3 losses - 2 of them to us. Others was Giants. To be fair yesterday's commentators pointed this out.

Corbett did OK but how would we feel about continuing to play Hamling and getting Chappy to play role Corbett played today?
I understand the intention, but Young to the midfield and Chapman backline for me. That was probably his longest stint in the middle and he did well. Chapman is an upgrade on Hughes (who had a decent game).

Cats did seem to have an off day. Few really bad turnovers we had early on they didn't punish us.

The style of play until last quarter was bit chip around. The brand of footy during that 4 game win streak is what I prefer see from us
A blissful win where for once the umps heavily favoured us (Freo nearly twice as many frees until late in game) and Cameron fluffed kicks ditto (1 goal 5).

But - you play with what you've got, and Cats took the lead late in Q4. That could've been the tools-down prompt for Freo but the boys responded with frantic defence and 2 fantastic clutch goals from Freddy and Shoota plus a handy point from Milky.

Proud of them and more please.

The style of play until last quarter was bit chip around. The brand of footy during that 4 game win streak is what I prefer see from
Bring things into perspective when you realise that they had more than double the games experience than us. 154 games to 75.8 games.

I understand the intention, but Young to the midfield and Chapman backline for me. That was probably his longest stint in the middle and he did well. Chapman is an upgrade on Hughes (who had a decent game).
I like the idea of a swingman, ie as a shock tactic or a Hail Mary scenario.
But Chapman takes Young’s position, swap, both could get midfield minutes.
I think Hughes is doing a job down back and Cox to come back in.
Unfortunately it looks like Hamling is pushed out of the team, retired.

Typical Docker victory, and yet i still think the Derby is a massive danger game. Wouldnt surprise me if the Budgies beat us in another typical Dockers moment.

Watched the replay yesterday (ie 2nd viewing):

• depth is gold if you have any intention of contending and Hamling was very good for a first man up replacement. He was composed, experienced, knew when to hold his man and when to risk running away to help in a contest. Very impressed and should definitely keep. Having him slot in for a final next year or big game if Pearce or Cox is out would make me feel much better about our chances. Corbett and Sturt also good, kicked goals and helped us win. Feel better with those 3 and Hughes (if JLo has him as the Chapman replacement) ready to go when needed.
  • We changed our style up to play these guys and it was clearly about controlling the ball with careful kick to kicks and generally keeping it low. Also threw Erasmus in the middle and gave him like a Clayton Oliver role to throw himself in or get ball first disposal off the back of the pack and boot it forward. Disposal efficiency would be low as a result but it gave our running game a go and put the pressure back on Geelong. Interesting tactic which obviously works for Melbourne.
  • Jackson out of the forward line means Amiss gets the biggest brute. Harder for him but good experience as his muscles grow and still managed some good things.
  • When they got a goal or 2, we never let them get on a roll or drop our plan.
  • Serong is very good
  • good win overall. Coach's tactics did it for us in a weaker, less experienced team with important players missing, away from home, with excellent games by our depth. Impressive and great to watch.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back