Review Freo Just not Quite Good Enough - Rd 23 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

You think it’s purely personnel?
I disagree on the meaning of "outcoached." People on here just throw it out when we lose half the time and it drives me up the wall and I'm on record not being convinced JL is the one to take us to the next level. It's just thrown out as a meaningless criticism (not saying you did it here and no one had done it in this thread). Outcoached to me means a coach tactically beat the other one and frankly, no one on BF has much of a clue to the finer details in AFL coaching and tactics to be able to definitively say that unless it's blindingly obvious.

I dont even think coaches can have that much on the weekly game tactically, at least, not in the vein of NBA and NFL that the term really comes from where coaches tactical ability can have a massive difference

Not sure how many BF posters actually at the game. Certainly a different perspective as to watching it on the box.

One really clear problem at the ground which stood out (yet again) was how Freo allowed Port the first kick after a behind to an uncontested player, then to another, then to another. Each port player was just zoned off and many many times Port moved it from backline to our backine without any contested pocessions. We start just about every attacking move from our half backline. And we dont just zone off a bit, “tempting them”, we are so far off them we can never intercept.

When Port kick a point, they man up every short option and Luke Ryan is forced to kick 50m long down the line and incur the wrath of BF posters.

Sure, we missed some goals, sure their midfielders are better ( in fact best in the AFL) but we should at least be controlling the controllables.

Bad coaching

Yes.

At games I understand the zone BUT we must be the worst at anticipating or even forcing kicks to contest. To me it seems so basic. Zone off for 6 seconds or so… then close your man down and force a kick to a contest or an opportunity to intercept.

We lack pace inside. Too many times teams burn us out of the center and we can't lay a finger on them. At the game in the last quarter when Port won a center clearance someone near me shouted "someone chase" but the problem was they were but were too slow. Being a lot cleaner at the contest can help mitigate this but we are always too fumbly.

It was nice to see we weren't afraid to risk the inside kick from half-back but there is no point taking it if you are just going to hold it up because there is no movement. The bloke should mark it and have someone running by for the handball.

The disposal and goal kicking today made me think some of the players were channeling guys who used to wear those numbers.

Banners kicked a goal and nobody can convince me otherwise.

The worst part about today, though, is that whoever is in charge of the song didn't play the whole of the old song. I look forward to retro round for the old song and the arseholes short changed us.

I disagree on the meaning of "outcoached." People on here just throw it out when we lose half the time and it drives me up the wall and I'm on record not being convinced JL is the one to take us to the next level. It's just thrown out as a meaningless criticism (not saying you did it here and no one had done it in this thread). Outcoached to me means a coach tactically beat the other one and frankly, no one on BF has much of a clue to the finer details in AFL coaching and tactics to be able to definitively say that unless it's blindingly obvious.

I dont even think coaches can have that much on the weekly game tactically, at least, not in the vein of NBA and NFL that the term really comes from where coaches tactical ability can have a massive difference
Okay, I agree with that entirely. I certainly meant it in terms of the medium-to-long-term influence of a coach, not game day tactics.

When the coach can’t shut up about “the contest” in every press conference and we lose on skill execution despite being good in the contest, then that is at least partially being “out coached”.
I absolutely hate this new "contest" buzzword. Doesn't mean anything. Just like "system", or "structure" or "learnings" from years gone by.

It's all bullshit and all the coaches that say it, know it too.

I absolutely hate this new "contest" buzzword. Doesn't mean anything. Just like "system", or "structure" or "learnings" from years gone by.

It's all bullshit and all the coaches that say it, know it too.
I find it easier to just pretend it’s a synonym for “ game” so really he’s just saying we “weren’t good enough at the game” which is true.

We lack pace inside. Too many times teams burn us out of the center and we can't lay a finger on them. At the game in the last quarter when Port won a center clearance someone near me shouted "someone chase" but the problem was they were but were too slow. Being a lot cleaner at the contest can help mitigate this but we are always too fumbly.

It was nice to see we weren't afraid to risk the inside kick from half-back but there is no point taking it if you are just going to hold it up because there is no movement. The bloke should mark it and have someone running by for the handball.

The disposal and goal kicking today made me think some of the players were channeling guys who used to wear those numbers.

Banners kicked a goal and nobody can convince me otherwise.

The worst part about today, though, is that whoever is in charge of the song didn't play the whole of the old song. I look forward to retro round for the old song and the arseholes short changed us.
Definitely hit the Port guys arm.

Has it been a frustrating season? Yes. But there's been plenty of positives

• Jackson has been everything as advertised and more, will only get better
  • Darcy before going down was the No.1 Ruck in the Comp
  • Amiss (20), Treacy (21), Sturt (23) all developing, getting time to play together and more time to physically develop
  • Schultz's game has gone up another level IMO
  • Serong arrived as an A-Grade inside mid
  • Brayshaw & Pearce bouncing back after slow starts to the season
  • Young departing the backline and into the midfield is the biggest thing for 2024 IMO
  • Henry finally putting it all together
  • Development for Johnson & Erasmus
  • Wagner's great form this month as a rebounding halfback has been a wonderful surprise
  • Walter's still got the class in those old legs

Negatives?
  • Chapman's & Fyfe's chronic inability to stay healthy and on the pitch
  • Brodie being displaced and hurt at the worst time when there's a role for him
  • Ryan's disposal has regressed IMO
  • Walker's knee :( Hopefully doesn't effect him post-injury

We are the 2nd youngest side in the comp and shown that we're capable of beating quality sides away. Tidy up our record at home (5 from 12 this Season) and we're pressing for Top 4. Our time will come, just the waiting always feels slow.
Nailed it. A crap season to be sure, but I'm bullish that we have a good team if given time to mature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need another mature aged a-grade midfielder to come in for next year. How does that happen?
We got no 1st rounder this year. We would be stupid to trade our 2024 1st rounder.

Saying that, we gamble on sticking to our best 25-30 players and hope we are good enough and other results go our way to make finals

Question.
If you had a hypothetical draft tomorrow morning and 18 year old Andy Brayshaw, 18 year old Caleb Serong and 18 year old David Mundy were all in front of you, who would you pick?

For me it’s
1. Mundy

Daylight

2 & 3 either or.

Good ball users trump everything else. I am so convinced not having Mundy hurts our scoring rate so much this season. The amount of score involvements that guy had was something else. Usually though top class delivery i50.
We need a Mundy replacement in that midfield. It was supposed to be Johnson but the kid has a very long way to go if you ask me…
That's not as clear cutas most people think.

Mundy was loved here at the Dockers. Victorian media didn't rate him. Had Mundy got drafted by Collingwood, he would be called a legendary player.

Brayshaw is a 25-30 disposals a game player.

Caleb Serong is a freak. And yes I do compare him to Robbie Gray at port Adelaide.

How many classy players do Fremantle have?

Walters, amiss and that's probably it.

Seeing for all the amazing things that he is lacks class. Brayshaw too.

Young for the elite kick that he supposedly is doesn't show his class ball in hand.

Young, Brayshaw X2 and serong missing their set shots today were so predictable.

MJ was meant to be one of the better kicks in his draft but I'm yet to see him actually hit a target inside 50 on a lead or a kick that opens up the play. It's either a simple chip kick or a headless bomb.

Watching our mids butcher kicks inside 50 all day then seeing tod bloody Marshall sublimely pick out Rioli was infuriating AF.

AB is my fave player but what exactly is he. A low clearance winning inside to outside mid with questionable disposal?

70m out who do you want kicking inside 50? You struggle to think of someone. Theoretically young? Days gone by would be Mundy and Walters

45meters out slight angle at a pivotal time how many players do you trust to kick it?

We make things look ridiculously hard. We've been out so many times this year but have absolutely butchered it. Think the only time we were out and got a set shot on goal was hitting Shultz pretty much on the boundary line. Every other team gets a shot 30 out on a slight angle.

Even our handballing on the overlap, a simple skill, is atrocious. The player running past has to pause and halt his momentum coz it's rarely delivered in his stride.

It's actually amazing we got within 3 goals TBH. I look back at some of the big deficiencies in our game and wonder how we got that close.

Forward pressure - non existent
Midfield pressure - awful when they got the ball. It seemed like most of their clearances were super clean
Ball movement - treacle slow

Some positives though - backline was really good, our skills weren't dogshit, and our passengers were players that wouldn't normally be best 22.
WHAT
our pressure rating in this game was off the charts

And our kicking skills WERE dogshit

Lol, Port were walking it out of our forward line all day. We did get a lot of HTBs, but that's mainly because they were taking us on regularly.
You just can't fault the pressure in this game. There were plenty of things that went wrong but pressure was not one of them. Our ratings were well over 200 which is elite. Today came down to skill execution and we lost because nobody could kick today.

How many classy players do Fremantle have?

Walters, amiss and that's probably it.

Seeing for all the amazing things that he is lacks class. Brayshaw too.

Young for the elite kick that he supposedly is doesn't show his class ball in hand.

Young, Brayshaw X2 and serong missing their set shots today were so predictable.

MJ was meant to be one of the better kicks in his draft but I'm yet to see him actually hit a target inside 50 on a lead or a kick that opens up the play. It's either a simple chip kick or a headless bomb.

Watching our mids butcher kicks inside 50 all day then seeing tod bloody Marshall sublimely pick out Rioli was infuriating AF.

AB is my fave player but what exactly is he. A low clearance winning inside to outside mid with questionable disposal?

70m out who do you want kicking inside 50? You struggle to think of someone. Theoretically young? Days gone by would be Mundy and Walters

45meters out slight angle at a pivotal time how many players do you trust to kick it?

We make things look ridiculously hard. We've been out so many times this year but have absolutely butchered it. Think the only time we were out and got a set shot on goal was hitting Shultz pretty much on the boundary line. Every other team gets a shot 30 out on a slight angle.

Even our handballing on the overlap, a simple skill, is atrocious. The player running past has to pause and halt his momentum coz it's rarely delivered in his stride.
If I was more articulate, I would have said what you just said in that post.

Not sure how many BF posters actually at the game. Certainly a different perspective as to watching it on the box.

One really clear problem at the ground which stood out (yet again) was how Freo allowed Port the first kick after a behind to an uncontested player, then to another, then to another. Each port player was just zoned off and many many times Port moved it from backline to our backine without any contested pocessions. We start just about every attacking move from our half backline. And we dont just zone off a bit, “tempting them”, we are so far off them we can never intercept.

When Port kick a point, they man up every short option and Luke Ryan is forced to kick 50m long down the line and incur the wrath of BF posters.

Sure, we missed some goals, sure their midfielders are better ( in fact best in the AFL) but we should at least be controlling the controllables.

Bad coaching
This was especially frustrating in the last few minutes of the game. We had so many players guarding a patch of grass letting Port just chip around us and run the clock down, rather than going man on man to at least try to get a turnover. JL really seems to be totally resistant to altering his game plan as the game changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back