Review Rd 22 Review - Freo Order Well Cooked Chook

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like Hough was a very late out for the Bin Chickens last night because he'd OD'd on his Ventolin inhaler in the lead-up to the game, and would have failed a drug test. 👀

What an absolute basket case of a club.
Yep, when a club descends to the depths that the witches hats have, you don’t get time to practice “last 2 minute“ scenarios at training or to tell an asthmatic how many puffs he can have of his ventolin on game day.

Yep, when a club descends to the depths that the witches hats have, you don’t get time to practice “last 2 minute“ scenarios at training or to tell an asthmatic how many puffs he can have of his ventolin on game day.
The fact that there was apparently a limit on how much Ventolin he can take makes me think either:

1. He's not an asthmatic and therefore
2. He doesn't have a TUE

I don't see how they can put a limit on the amount of medication you can take for asthma that is so low.

I sort of accepted the explanation from Simpson when I read it a hour or so ago. On further reflection though how is it that the countries biggest and richest club with staff out the wazoo neglected to inform an asthmatic of a rule directly impacting asthmatics?

The fact that there was apparently a limit on how much Ventolin he can take makes me think either:

1. He's not an asthmatic and therefore
2. He doesn't have a TUE

I don't see how they can put a limit on the amount of medication you can take for asthma that is so low.
Sick enough for a non asthmatic to be prescribed ventolin but not sick enough to miss the game?

Sick enough for a non asthmatic to be prescribed ventolin but not sick enough to miss the game?
Here we are:
  • Salbutamol: Inhaled Salbutamol is permitted up to a maximum dose of 1600 mcg (16 puffs) per 24 hours, not to exceed 600mcg (6 puffs) in a 8 hour period.
But fine if you have a TUE. Thought 6 in a day was a bit low for a limit. A lot of Asthmatics would go over that quite regularly.

Unless things have changed you don't require a prescription for Ventolin.

I’ve kind of swallowed the WC line that “everything is fine, we know what we are doing” but I’ve honestly never seen a list so empty of talent. They have drafted horrifically before last year and they are basically starting from behind scratch as they weed out old injured folk first.

Hewett, Long and Ginbey are going to be good players. Williams showed a bit.

But their senior players are ****ed. MacFatty, Darling etc are surrounded by mid age players like Witherden and SPS that are total shite. Edwards, Foley, O’Neill, Rotham…Hoo boy they stink.
Yep is great but who knows whether his body will hold.

Oscar Allen is holding things together like the boy with the finger on the dyke. Barrass is almost 30 and constantly injured. Surprised they didn’t encourage him to go to Sydney.

Harley Reid etc are going to have 3-4 years of getting taken out the back and flogged.

Yeah I find myself a lot more optimistic about the whole list since they moved Young into the midfield. I had doubts the rebuilt midfield would be good enough, but with that one move the mix now looks good enough to contend, as they grow together! That, and Sturt looking legit makes the forward line a lot more dangerous.
Weird, but looking forward to next season more now.

Was just re-watching the third quarter. Was interesting watching Young running around unmanned as soon as we won the ball. Kelly was nowhere near him

So…who were they missing who will be ther next year who could possibly make things better?
ginbey?

kelly, Darling and McGovern aren’t getting better next year.

Harley Reid is walking into a dire situation. He’s going to have to be Judd without Cousins, Kerr and Cox as support.

Barrass would help. Gimbey. Harley Reid. They’ll still finish very close to last IMO.

But their senior players are ****ed. MacFatty, Darling etc are surrounded by mid age players like Witherden and SPS that are total shite. Edwards, Foley, O’Neill, Rotham…Hoo boy they stink.

Oscar Allen is holding things together like the boy with the finger on the dyke. Barrass is almost 30 and constantly injured. Surprised they didn’t encourage him to go to Sydney.

Harley Reid etc are going to have 3-4 years of getting taken out the back and flogged.

Long is too tiny to be anything special. I think he’ll be outside the 22 when they rise up the ladder.

In some ways last nights win highlights some of the issues we’ve had this year. Whilst I enjoyed the victory I feel this season has been largely disappointing and some of the things we did well last night have been missing most of the season. One of the reasons we’re a bottom 4 side is that we don’t get a lot of return from our small forwards. Schultz had a night out but between rounds 10 and 18 he either kicked one or no goals a game.

Where did Switkowski play last night? he got 22 touches but no goals. Is he a midfielder or a small forward? He’s not big enough or good enough to be a permanent midfielder, he might do ok against weaker teams but he gets bullied by big midfielders. 13 goals for the year and no goals in a 100 point victory, we can’t go through another season next year with that level of output. We desperately need to find a talented, classy and consistent small forward in the off season.

I’m a Sturt fan but did last night just prove that he has all the qualities required to be a solid contributor in the forward line but he goes missing when he has a quality opponent? Against good opposition he has had problems finding the footy and then winning the contest once he’s found it. Happy for him to get another year though.

Young in the midfield has been a successful move, it’s a shame we didn’t try this move earlier in the season. I actually thought Brayshaw was best on ground last night but he didn’t even get a vote did he? Anyway it helps to take some of the load off Brayshaw and Serong and give opposition coaches something else to think about, we have been very one dimensional in there this year.

Despite not kicking a goal, I thought Treacy played a good game. He competes well and applies loads of defensive pressure. He’s improved in the ruck, he does more than just halve the contest now. The concrete hands thing is a worry, and assuming Darcy returns to the ruck next year and Jackson spends more time forward is there still a place for him in the team given he doesn’t kick goals?

Wagner has been surprisingly good, his performance has allowed Young to move into the midfield and at the moment I think he’s probably more valuable to the team than Walker. Hopefully Worner gets more game time, maybe he has something to offer too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’ll be good. Like baker or Daniel. He’s a footballer

I don’t rate him. Kicking lacks depth and accuracy. Very small, not particularly fast.

It’s dire that such a young small player is in their 22.

I rate Hewitt as their best youngster, Gimbey 2nd, Hough 3rd. Culley pre ACL was looking ok. I don’t think anyone else makes it. They will get much much worse before they get better. Record books will be smashed unless Reid is Judd-like.

I rate Hewitt as their best youngster, Gimbey 2nd, Hough 3rd. Culley pre ACL was looking ok. I don’t think anyone else makes it. They will get much much worse before they get better. Record books will be smashed unless Reid is Judd-like.

I've liked the look of Maric. He has kept improving game on game and has shown enough from a mid-season pick coming into a basket case of a club that he should be given some time to see if he has what it takes.

Professional athletes use ventolin all the time to increase their aerobic capacity. If a player is asthmatic they’re given a much higher allowance (depending on severity etc). Hough had the flu, so was probably using it more than he should have, but definitely not asthmatic.

I think of the under 25s, Allen is a superstar then only Bazzo, Hough, Ginbey, Long, Hewett, B Williams, Maric and Chesser have shown much to suggest they will be between b-grade and a-grade AFL players. Personally, only the three you mentioned have any star potential though I do like Maric.

Assuming no injuries that is an absurd amount of talent to fill where Allen will literally be close to the end by the time it’s done and he’s not without injury concerns if his ow.

Like you said, Barass staying is terrible for them. They need him and Ryan out the door, if not either of them, even turning Yeo into a 3rd is worth it.

Given I know your opinion on what they should do with pick one, here’s a question I tried to discuss with WC posters but didn’t get very far. In the bizzaro world they convinced Jackson to join them, would that have been a good idea?

I think of the under 25s, Allen is a superstar then only Bazzo, Hough, Ginbey, Long, Hewett, B Williams, Maric and Chesser have shown much to suggest they will be between b-grade and a-grade AFL players. Personally, only the three you mentioned have any star potential though I do like Maric.

Assuming no injuries that is an absurd amount of talent to fill where Allen will literally be close to the end by the time it’s done and he’s not without injury concerns if his ow.

Like you said, Barass staying is terrible for them. They need him and Ryan out the door, if not either of them, even turning Yeo into a 3rd is worth it.

Given I know your opinion on what they should do with pick one, here’s a question I tried to discuss with WC posters but didn’t get very far. In the bizzaro world they convinced Jackson to join them, would that have been a good idea?

Chesser is a dud. I’m not totally convinced yet that our Johnson is much better.
At least Johnson is strong in the contest.
Chesser is that beige type they’ve been picking for ages. O’Neill, Foley. Even Duggan. Just beige.
Then they go and trade for SPS…beige

If they went for Jackson they don’t have Ginbey, Hewett and possibly Reid this year. Think they’re better off without Jackson

If you go back to pre-season there were so many WC fans saying last year was an aberration, that the list was still good and they had been drafting fantastically for 2-3 years. Many thought they were an outside chance for finals.

For mine, I thought their list was a dog’s breakfast, their recent trading and drafting terrible, and the excuses for last year overblown (the whole Covid narrative - it only really impacted the first six weeks of the season). But, despite this they’ve been even worse this year than I imagined they would be.

Trying to be as objective as much as a Freo fan can be - I just can’t see it getting any better for another 3-4 years. They are only now accepting a rebuild is necessary, but are coming from a base that is lower than you can possibly imagine. When GWS and the Suns came into the league they had a few decent mature agers to build around - plus 6-8 top 20 picks for a couple of drafts. West Coast have got Barrass, Kelly, Allen and maybe Yeo/Sheed - and then 1-2 picks a year.

Granted, a couple of their 2022 draftees look decent; but even if Reid is as good as Nick Daics that still means 14-16 of their best 22 next year will be garbage.

Any suggestion that they will be back in contention in a couple of years is just irrational and simply down to the ‘they’re too big to be down for too long’ narrative.

Well Carlton have been shizen for 10+ years and are pretty much as big and as deluded as the Eagles.

I’m going to call it now - I don’t see the eagles appearing in finals until 2029 at the earliest.

Chesser is a dud. I’m not totally convinced yet that our Johnson is much better.
At least Johnson is strong in the contest.
Chesser is that beige type they’ve been picking for ages. O’Neill, Foley. Even Duggan. Just beige.
Then they go and trade for SPS…beige

If they went for Jackson they don’t have Ginbey, Hewett and possibly Reid this year. Think they’re better off without Jackson
Next step in the question, if investing al the capital in Jackson is a mistake (a reasonable stance), surely with where their list is at, turning down two top 10 picks for Reid is also a mistake. Opportunity cost is a real thing and spending all their capital on Reid is a mistake

Very happy with the result and the way it came about. Looked shaky early and this was a game I had genuine concern for as usually form is irrelevant in derbies. Especially given they had won one and lost a close one (same as us). And the last one - when we were pretty much full strength was more of a nail biter than it should have been

Sturt and Schultz were super impressive. Nev was a bit inaccurate otherwise it would have probably been a record breaker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back