I'm out of love with Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

sometimes when you have a strict routine for something over time you mechanically do the routine but you dont actually do it. I think that makes sense. like a routine becomes a process more like a habit and the psychological effect no longer accompanies the routine.
100% makes sense. We have to beat this out of trainees at work all the time (Air traffic control, so it's pretty important they don't become mechanical at their job). I think it's too late this year to beat it out of Mayne, but it might be worth spending off/pre season kicking for goal with no routine and see how it goes.

Mayne's goal kicking leaves a lot to be desired this season for sure. But he's so important to our forward line, even if it's just to lock the ball in the 50 and keep a good defender busy. He always gives a 2nd, 3rd and infinite efforts at the contest

You won't believe this but he has never scored 5 goals. When he first started he was a spud, what kept him in the side was his effort. The year he was accurate was a outlier imo as he came in with no expectations. Since then everyone keeps hoping he can have another outlier year, but it's unlikely.

Since he had his spot guaranteed, I think he just stopped practicing his kick. Before he had a routine, these days he just breathes heavy and hopes for the best.
The outlier year he was accurate? Do you mean 2012 when he kicked 39.7 or 2013 when he kicked 37.12?

The outlier year he was accurate? Do you mean 2012 when he kicked 39.7 or 2013 when he kicked 37.12?

Biggest fluke two years its looking like.

Reminds me of Jack Anthonys record at the Pies then he couldn't score to save his life.

Also lets not forget Pav in 2012 had an awesome year which pretty much meant defenses let Mayne etc get some very easy goals.

Biggest fluke two years its looking like.

Reminds me of Jack Anthonys record at the Pies then he couldn't score to save his life.

Also lets not forget Pav in 2012 had an awesome year which pretty much meant defenses let Mayne etc get some very easy goals.

Your'e not a great fan of most on Freo's list are you?

Your'e not a great fan of most on Freo's list are you?

So in grand total I have singled out Ballas, Mayne, D Pearce, MDB and Suban. Perhaps you should count how many players are in a starting line up, before making wrong assumptions.

Nearly a third of an on ground starting line up.:rolleyes:
Put aside our love for Freo and look at it from a football perspective and everyone will quite consistently say they're terrible. We all know the reason they're in as it's due to their knowledge of the game plan.

Mayne... the main the thing that bothers me with him is he can't lace out a kick to save his life. Constant turnover invitation kicks into the air irrespective of whether the intended target was the correct one to choose.

Put aside our love for Freo and look at it from a football perspective and everyone will quite consistently say they're terrible. We all know the reason they're in as it's due to their knowledge of the game plan.

Mayne... the main the thing that bothers me with him is he can't lace out a kick to save his life. Constant turnover invitation kicks into the air irrespective of whether the intended target was the correct one to choose.

Ballantyne is a gun.I can't understand the hate .Mayne is integral to the way the forward half structures and the others are foot soldiers.Tell me who is playing for Peel that you would bring in .

Ballantyne is a gun.I can't understand the hate .Mayne is integral to the way the forward half structures and the others are foot soldiers.Tell me who is playing for Peel that you would bring in .

I would play Crozier in Mayne's position. Similar players, except Crozier can kick 55m and can also snap goals.

i strongly suspect some of the critics of mayne and ballantyne have never laid a tackle in their lives or chased a player down. they want nice kicks and pretty goals. they want jack watts
No one is allowed an opinion with you, are they ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i strongly suspect some of the critics of mayne and ballantyne have never laid a tackle in their lives or chased a player down. they want nice kicks and pretty goals. they want jack watts

You realise that you need to kick goals to win games right? That's how you score in Australian football.

giphy.gif

All these threads start looking the same after a while

I was at training one day and RTB gave someone a spray for not jumping arround on the mark duing a match simulation drill.

If you watch a lot of footy one thing that stands out is how players man the mark. I strongly strongly believe that it is a great indicator of a players mindset. I couldn't say the causation direction, but watch Essendon or Melbourne at the moment...a half-hearted arm wave is pretty common. The teams who are up and about know that getting in someone's grill on the mark is just one of the tiny fractions that lead to excellence.

Furthermore, it is a great way to remind yourself to get into the game. You can see Freo guys (more so early in the year to be fair) start flat on the mark and then shake themselves into gear after a second...which carries through the next few contests.

Ross's focus on defending the mark is an underrated factor in his success as a coach.

Umm... How about converting your set shots after a winning tackle from 30m out directly in front. Even Jack Watts would've kicked that. We just want our players to convert when they get the opportunity. Nothing "pretty" about that. Just good, efficient football.

Fair enough re Crosier but has he shown enough in his 3 years on the list.Isnt he playing Ballas role at the minute with out a great deal of success..
I don't think he's got the speed of ballas to lose a defender in traffic at the drop of the ball - he's more suited to play a mayne role if anything, or a high half forward leading into space left by the talls

Of course Ballantyne is, but he hasn't fired a shot all year. Who would I replace Ballantyne with? Himself just reloaded.

As for Mayne, integral to what exactly? A forward line that clearly doesn't work? Watch any game live and you'll see that his gameplan knowledge are effectively nullified by his bog ordinary skills.

As for someone that took a swipe about not laying a tackle, oddly enough due to my support for Freo I'm about the only one who feels that a forward must lay pressure tackles. But I'm still expected to kick goals and set goals up. It's called two-way running if done right. To think that we're okay with forwards being so defensive that they forget to attack?

Who to replace with? C. Pearce was great earlier this year. The usual suspects like Blakely, Weller and Langdon. Now I'm not saying they'll be immediately better but I do feel their scope to be better than their incumbents is drastically high. They should of given one of them a go at least.

My hate for Suban has lessened lately, he's less the source of all that is turnover. Unlike deBoer, Mayne, D.Pearce, Mzungu.

Not particularly related to Chris Mayne but I feel for consistent set shot taking you need to be lined up straight and need to jump out the blocks at the start like Jay Schultz does (Warren Ralph also did it). Training watchers, do players practice lining up straight for goals at training? I see a lot of players kick for goal that run right and kick right. I imagine it's harder on the ground to accurately plot a straight line or more probably they think they're straight but they're not. Do players measure their run-ups like bowlers using a tape measure?

I don't think he's got the speed of ballas to lose a defender in traffic at the drop of the ball - he's more suited to play a mayne role if anything, or a high half forward leading into space left by the talls
Crozier should be playing like Bruest from Hawthorn however just doesn't seem to either run to the right spots or work hard enough to get open.

I might be making s**t up (it's been a huge year personally and my memory is shot) but at the start of the year didn't we have a structure where -

At the last kick from outside the 50, 60m out on the wing -
  1. Talls not going up for the same pack mark and spoiling each other
  2. Talls dragging defenders around the park on the lead
  3. Mids running into the i50 and into space in time for the final kick
  4. The kicker either spotting up a short lead 35m out directly in front, or hitting the leading forward on the tit with a bullet

All we need is a small following the leading tall being kicked to (goalside) and we have some structure back. We seem to bomb long to the square (with occasional kicks to the space 30m out on the far side) rather than spotting up shorter kicks like we were. Unless i'm hugely mistaken ;)

Crozier should be playing like Bruest from Hawthorn however just doesn't seem to either run to the right spots or work hard enough to get open.
he got dropped last time because his man ran forward and kicked a goal on him. he is too scared to do anything offensive now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back