2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't know the answer. They are obviously smashing it.
What's your point?
Fair to say both strong clubs - they have a slightly bigger market with a better economy and similar strong footy heritage.
Do you have a specific point or just looking to complain?
Actually 50% bigger market!
Salaries also much higher there.

In regards to member numbers, we've stuffed up big time (misinterpreted your post first up) seeing we should be the dominant power in this state.

Trigg's/Reids legacy for how we fell from being one of the have clubs in regards to members/revenue (which is the main point of caring about member numbers) to a have-not club.
I don't think we've stuffed up much last year to this yeast and i think fages made great points on the audit numbers.
Why do you and cleric feel we've stuffed up?

I think West Coast have the most expensive memberships in the league. Starts at $345 for a restricted view seat up to gold at $735. I'd bet the demand for tickets means they can divide the stadium so that more of it is categorised as premium seating than most clubs can do as well.

http://www.wcemembership.com.au/frequently-asked-question/what-are-2015-membership-prices
Good work.

They charge more because their market can support it. Both in ppl who want to go and how much income they have.

The AFL audit memberships to take out the bullshit ones like pet memberships etc. The fact that the AFL took out so many memberships should worry you about our honesty in reporting membership numbers. Looks like we had more pet memberships than other clubs.
the point is that either way you're talking about an arbitrary subset of memberships. Actual crowds and revenue are more important and where we fare better, the trouble is really with all the money we're having to pay out for filling up the oval regularly.

not trying to say the numbers are great, but its not an unmitigated disaster either. Port talking up their membership numbers is like getting excited over your team having more disposals in a game, it doesn't necessarily mean you're winning.

WCE rake in more than $6 million dollars more than any other club in membership money (there was an article from the age this arvo i think), and they are also selling on the promise of a ticket at the new stadium in 2018. From what I've read on the footy industry page they charge between $150-$200 to go on their waiting list!

How can you say our club has failed this year???? We will make a big profit, probably be second in home attendances and our membership number has fallen 1000 behind our cross town rivals but we get nearly DOUBLE the membership money!?!?! And you are seeing this as bad!!

Even if we were 1000 in front the Adelaide media would do what they did last year and pump up the powa and say how good they are etc etc.

the point is that either way you're talking about an arbitrary subset of memberships. Actual crowds and revenue are more important and where we fare better, the trouble is really with all the money we're having to pay out for filling up the oval regularly.

not trying to say the numbers are great, but its not an unmitigated disaster either. Port talking up their membership numbers is like getting excited over your team having more disposals in a game, it doesn't necessarily mean you're winning.
Can someone explain what is not great about the membership numbers?

Can someone explain what is not great about the membership numbers?
Exactly

I can't believe we are arguing with each other about something so ridiculous.

We now have 20,000 NEW Members than we did 2 years ago (65,000 now to 45,436 in 2013).

This is the stuff that is important, so what if there are non game, international memberships etc, who says that my $400 11 game membership is more important than a bloke who lives in Finland and pays his $125 to watch every Crows game live at 3am each weekend. Its still bloody money coming into the AFC!!!

Found this amusing on the AFL website:

"The only players to miss more than two games in past 20 years and win the Brownlow are Chris Judd (2010, three games missed), Gary Ablett (2009, three) and Jimmy Bartel (2007, two)."

Apparently two is more than two.

Goes well with the question the AFL recently posed--When is a member, not a member?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE rake in more than $6 million dollars more than any other club in membership money (there was an article from the age this arvo i think), and they are also selling on the promise of a ticket at the new stadium in 2018. From what I've read on the footy industry page they charge between $150-$200 to go on their waiting list!

How can you say our club has failed this year???? We will make a big profit, probably be second in home attendances and our membership number has fallen 1000 behind our cross town rivals but we get nearly DOUBLE the membership money!?!?! And you are seeing this as bad!!

Even if we were 1000 in front the Adelaide media would do what they did last year and pump up the powa and say how good they are etc etc.

Those guys have so much money they don't even know what to do with it. Just doing the backstroke through a pool of cash and waiting to spend.

Apparently there are 3,000 Crows on the waiting list for 11 game memberships.

Last edited:
Good work.

They charge more because their market can support it. Both in ppl who want to go and how much income they have.
There's been so much money in Perth it's not funny. Adelaide is not affluent by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I'd suggest there's a poverty mentality in Adelaide (as opposed to an abundance mentality like Perth).

i guess the point of my post was - what counts as an officially counted member? Do you need game access?
He implied that we targeted growing non-game memberships as a way to boost membership due to there being no additional seats to be able to sell.
My question is do these types of memberships count (ie. what you are calling 'bumped up figures') or not?
Am I, as an interstate member, counted?

Am I, as an interstate member, counted?

AFL audits count memberships at packages that cost at least $50 and have a ticket to at least one match.

Perhaps having a ticket to an interstate game counts if it is part of your interstate package with the Crows? Would think that it should by that statement. Unless there is some caveat that it must be a home game ticket that went unsaid/reported in Fagan's comments.

The AFL audit memberships to take out the bullshit ones like pet memberships etc. The fact that the AFL took out so many memberships should worry you about our honesty in reporting membership numbers. Looks like we had more pet memberships than other clubs.

Pet memberships were eliminated either last year or the year before. It appears they are now discounting memberships in the AFL's latest audit for anyone whose membership does not include the purchase of at least one ticket to one game.

So in other words, Victor Victoria can pay $50 for a membership that gets him one ticket to one game at the MCG to watch his unsociable Hawks. His membership the AFL "recognizes".

Carol Crow who finds herself living/working in the United States pays for a global membership that costs $155 and allows her access to live streaming, etc... Her membership is not "recognized" since the global membership the Crows offer doesn't include one ticket to one game. (and why would it include a ticket?)

That appears to be the AFL's newest method of auditing memberships whereby Carol can contribute 3x as much to her club as Victor and she is still considered a "nonperson" not unlike Nemo, the pet goldfish who used to be counted as a Sydney member a couple years ago.

Is Carol "less" a member to Adelaide than Victor is to Hawthorn? You tell me. o_O

Last edited:
Pet memberships were eliminated either last year or the year before. It appears they are now discounting memberships in the AFL's latest audit for anyone whose membership does not include the purchase of at least one ticket to one game.

So in other words, Victor Victoria can pay $50 for a membership that gets him one ticket to one game at the MCG to watch his unsociable Hawks. His membership the AFL "recognizes".

Carol Crow who finds herself living/working in the United States pays for a global membership that costs in excess of $50 and allows her access to live streaming, etc... Her membership is not "recognized" since the global membership the Crows offer doesn't include one ticket to one game. (and why would it include a ticket?)

That appears to be the AFL's newest method of auditing memberships.

Is Carol "less" a member to Adelaide than Victor is to Hawthorn? You tell me.
Both Adelaide teams and WA teams are doing great. The AFL is beginning to show signs of damage control to protect the so called big4. Instead the Chief football writer in our state makes it a battle between Adelaide and Paer cos he's too consumed in the reality we have performed better this yr rather than taking a decent swing at AFL house and the stooge journos who pretend nothing is wrong in the home of football.

Both Adelaide teams and WA teams are doing great. The AFL is beginning to show signs of damage control to protect the so called big4. Instead the Chief football writer in our state makes it a battle between Adelaide and Paer cos he's too consumed in the reality we have performed better this yr rather than taking a decent swing at AFL house and the stooge journos who pretend nothing is wrong in the home of football.

I agree that it certainly looks like the AFL is trying to thin out the membership ranks of teams like Adelaide so as not to embarrass its Victorian clubs. I also agree that it appears the footy writer blew the real story which you described, to go for the low hanging rivalry fruit.

You are 100% dead on right in my mind.

I agree that it certainly looks like the AFL is trying to thin out the membership ranks of teams like Adelaide so as not to embarrass its Victorian clubs. I also agree that it appears the footy writer blew the real story which you described, to go for the low hanging rivalry fruit.

You are 100% dead on right in my mind.
He isn't a footy writer. Hes a gossip columnist.

The way Fagan explained it was that they converted the seats of 11 game members who didn't renew into 1 game tickets for the general public rather than sell them as 11 game memberships to people on the waitlsit, while categories not counted in the AFL audit went up.

He didn't seem too concerned about the AFL audited numbers, but said he has 65,000 "members" on the list, hoping to expand that to 70, 80 and eventually 100 - 200,000 members. You would think the only way to grow the membership list to those numbers with a 55,000 seat stadium is going to be outside the AFL audit numbers.
Stop talking sense. The ranters don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back