Congratulations Fremantle FC for winning their first piece of league silverware

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a trophy. I'm pretty sure it's a perpetual one which is held by the winning club for a season before being given back to the AFL to be presented to the next minor premier, unless of course the holder goes back to back.

According to Patrick Keane, the actual trophy is the one in AFL House and the club gets their own trophy/plaque to keep.

Well. you could argue a Brownlow or a Coleman is meaningless as well relative to a premiership medal and cup, should we do away with them as well?

Not the same.

It's pretty obvious that players care to some degree about those awards.

No one cares about winning a trophy for being the minor premier.

Is that right? I wasent aware they didn't hand it over. I have been to the Hawthorn trophy room and never noticed a McLelland trophy on display.

If you look at the link Masto posted, it has a picture. My kids have bigger trophies than that, you probably missed it or else it is in a box somewhere.

There is a plaque of sorts given out for the winning club to keep.

These are North Melbourne's ones at Arden Street;

O8jPXg4.jpg

Anyone know how it was awarded in the VFL era? Was looking at the picture and was interested to see Carlton and Hawthorn awarded it in 1985 then realised that neither finished top. And for a lot of the years up to 1991 it doesn't follow this list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_Football_League_minor_premiers

Before 1990 it was awarded not to the minor premier, but the club that finished highest in all 3 grades (seniors, reserves, under-19s)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before 1990 it was awarded not to the minor premier, but the club that finished highest in all 3 grades (seniors, reserves, under-19s)

Yep just saw this in the other thread. Makes sense.

Prior to 1991 the trophy was presented to the team with the best overall home-and-away record across the three levels of VFL/AFL play: seniors, reserves and under 19s. Seniors wins were worth ten points, reserves were worth four, and under 19s were worth two (with the values halved for drawn games).

coming into the season no one thought this would happen so it says alot for Ross lyon to drag this aging side forward and considering we are in the top 6 bracket draw, it is a great achievement which will be forgotten in 2 weeks time. but the cabinet aint empty anymore mother*ers

It is true beauty though to see both the WA teams 1&2

Not sure how beautiful it will be if we might meet each other in the big one :$
Look at it this way, we'll solve the congestion crisis and hinder the housing boom in Perth ;)

Well that's nice to know.
So second question, are us pleabians allowed to just wander into AFL to view said wall plaque or is just there for Gilligan's private pleasure?

Those of us who are ex ordine patricio can go wherever we like...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back