Workshop Australian Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

To add my two cents in, there definitely has to be a nod somewhere to the indigenous peoples of Australia. One element at least, whether it's a dotted border of a flag/element or even something minimal, there needs to be the unification of the Anglos and the Original inhabitants of the land, showing peace between the two cultures.

Can't this be done by a flag that has no cultural references to anyone, I think including something would cause more problems than including nothing.

t538mf.jpg

The centre star probably needs to be bigger to fill the cross more, but you get the general idea.

May I ask what your thoughts are on constitutional recognition?

I am perfectly fine with it.

Recognition in the constitution is overdue, and I am all for it. It recognises them as the original inhabitants while not excluding anyone else as it is only an addition to a constitution that was just missing that part in being all inclusive.

The reason I am against any recognition on the flag is that it focuses on a single group rather than accepting everyone as an equal. A flag is the main representation of a country on the world stage and should represent all the people equally as a single nation. Any addition of a symbol that represents a single group over another says that they have more focus or power than any other.

This is why I am all for the change in the current flag to something that is neutral and does not have any element that represents any one single group, as the current one basically states that we are servants to the United Kingdom with the Union Jack in the upper left canton.

Last edited:
This is why I am all for the change in the current flag to something that is neutral and does not have any element that represents any one single group, as the current one basically states that we are servants to the United Kingdom with the Union Jack in the upper left canton.
For me though, keeping the flag red white and blue doesn't really achieve this, as is still heralds back to our British roots. I'm totally on board for something either green, white and blue, or chuck yellow in there as well.

For me though, keeping the flag red white and blue doesn't really achieve this, as is still heralds back to our British roots. I'm totally on board for something either green, white and blue, or chuck yellow in there as well.

Green/gold or blue/gold are the way to go. Two colours, one symbol. Think Japan or Switzerland, simple, unique and instantly recognisable. Perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the design, but as I've said I'm not a fan of red and white. I'd recolour it like this
kAwEn5S.png

Easily identifiable as Australia I reckon

I am not against using green and gold, especially seen I really like the "Southern Horizon" design, but red white and blue keeps the design close to the old design so it is not the most radical of changes (which is a major hurdle as Australians do not like radical change) and the three colours can also represent the sea that surrounds us, the white beaches and the red centre.

Love the design, but as I've said I'm not a fan of red and white. I'd recolour it like this
kAwEn5S.png

Easily identifiable as Australia I reckon
Right one perfection.

You have the starts as they are now, the green and gold which are our national colours and you could throw some symbolic bullshit of the water meeting the sand meeting the land.

I am not against using green and gold, especially seen I really like the "Southern Horizon" design, but red white and blue keeps the design close to the old design so it is not the most radical of changes (which is a major hurdle as Australians do not like radical change) and the three colours can also represent the sea that surrounds us, the white beaches and the red centre.

You could easily end up with a workable set of three like that for a vote... just the SC on blue, one version that adds a green and a gold stripe, and one that adds a red and a white stripe.

Personally I suspect an organised bogan voting bloc could get green and gold over the line :)

The history of the flag is actually really interesting. My favourite quote from when the flag was established:

A staled réchauffé of the British flag, with no artistic virtue, no national significance... Minds move slowly: and Australia is still Britain's little boy. What more natural than that he should accept his father's cut-down garments, – lacking the power to protest, and only dimly realising his will. That bastard flag is a true symbol of the bastard state of Australian opinion.

So, how exactly do we get The Cheesecake 's design on flagpoles nationwide? :p
My dad's got an industrial sewing machine (I have no ****ing idea why, but its the size of a table). Maybe Mero's guernsey making friends can lend us some supplies as well. 3 of us working at a time should be able to pump out a flag each in about 15 minutes, once we get the hang of it, so thats 12 flags an hour, 96 in an 8 hour day. We could get a few more out to get it up to 100 a day. Then we just need a couple of people to work right through Australia, swapping the flags over. I reckon it'd take longer to swap the flags than to make them (have to break and enter without getting caught), so we'd need a few teams working at a time to swap them over. I say start somewhere small, like a rural city, to get the hang of it and roll out from there. Luckily Australian's aren't really ones for flying flags, so I'd guess that there's only about 1 flag for every 100 citizens, so we're looking at replacing 231,300 flags. At 100 flags a day, it'll only take us 6 years and 4 months.

Better get cracking.

The history of the flag is actually really interesting. My favourite quote from when the flag was established:

A staled réchauffé of the British flag, with no artistic virtue, no national significance... Minds move slowly: and Australia is still Britain's little boy. What more natural than that he should accept his father's cut-down garments, – lacking the power to protest, and only dimly realising his will. That bastard flag is a true symbol of the bastard state of Australian opinion.
Which came first, Australia's or New Zealand's?

Did the country of the latter design remark at the time that it looked a lot liked the earlier?

So my flag, the red floor symbolizes the red sandy floor of the outback (it also gives recognition to the aborigine flag) the blue represent the surrounding sea. And I'm really surprised no one used a wattle. Since that's where green and gold is tied in. Also the yellow wattle is the southern cross.

Australian flag.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back