Workshop Australian Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

So what makes us know that France's flag says France? Do any of us apart from the French know. It would need to be explained. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

It's not so much about what the rest of the world thinks as what the people that flag represents think.

The French tricolore has history related to the French revolution, which makes it very meaningful for the French. To the rest of the world, it is what it is. But when the French see it representing them, they want it to have meaning for them.

Likewise, the Australian flag should mean something to us. If others "get it", well that's a bonus but not the deciding factor.

Topical bump. I think this is actually brilliant and understated.

Red on top, yellow on bottom. Representative of the Aboriginal Flag. Green and blue representative of the Torres Strait Islander Flag.

Green and gold right next to each other, our de facto national colours. Red and blue next to each other, a hod to the British part of our history.

Very good.

Some minor alterations could be the following, although your original is good as it is.

View attachment 170084 View attachment 170086 View attachment 170087 View attachment 170088

Reading your explanation actually sells it to me a bit, but when I see it I just think "Super Nintendo".

Reading your explanation actually sells it to me a bit, but when I see it I just think "Super Nintendo".
I have no problem with Super Nintendo.

In fact, when we become a republic and adopt the quartered flag, all Australians will receive a free complementary Super Nintendo.

I have no problem with Super Nintendo.

In fact, when we become a republic and adopt the quartered flag, all Australians will receive a free complementary Super Nintendo.

A "free complementary" one? As opposed to those complimentary items you pay for?

Topical bump. I think this is actually brilliant and understated.

Red on top, yellow on bottom. Representative of the Aboriginal Flag. Green and blue representative of the Torres Strait Islander Flag.

Green and gold right next to each other, our de facto national colours. Red and blue next to each other, a hod to the British part of our history.

Very good.

Some minor alterations could be the following, although your original is good as it is.

View attachment 170084 View attachment 170086 View attachment 170087 View attachment 170088

Rule of thumb: if you have to explain it, it won't work. Flags really need that instant connection with people's perceptions about their country.

Note the two sections I have bolded and underlined in the below news story, I believe the above fits into these comments and as such shows why it is probably not the best choice.

Fifth flag not an option for referendum
MATHEW GROCOTT

Last updated 05:00, September 5 2015

1441340703372.jpg

Matthew Dallas
Massey University flag historian Malcolm Mulholland with the lanyard carrying an Australian flag that he received at the 26th International Congress of Vexillology in Sydney.

A fifth option will not be added to the four finalists that feature in the first of two referendums on changing New Zealand's flag, says a member of the panel that selected them.

Massey University flag historian Malcolm Mulholland said calls to add the Red Peak flag to the four options announced on Tuesday would not be heeded.

A campaign to have the flag, which features red, black and blue triangles separated by a chevron of white, considered as an option has been growing momentum.

1441340703372.jpg

Red Peak by Aaron Dustin was one of the 40 designs selected on the flag consideration panel's long list.

Mulholland, who spoke about the flag referendum at the 26th International Congress of Vexillology in Sydney on Monday, said the four options had been approved by Cabinet and an Order of Council to initiate the referendum signed based on those four designs.

"It can't be added, it's not going to be added," Mulholland said. "One thing that we found was most people we spoke to struggled with abstract designs, of which that is one."

Mulholland said the four designs chosen best encapsulated what the flag consideration panel felt, and had been told in consultation, best represented New Zealand.

1441340703372.png

The four flag alternatives that will be considered in the first referendum.

"We were very deliberate in what we did select in the end."

Mulholland said the best national flags, such as Canada, Israel and Japan, featured two colours and one symbol. Two of the final four flags selected reflected this approach, he said.

The other two, both Kyle Lockwood designs, were chosen because of what the colours and symbols on them represented.

Ironically at the vexillology conference Mulholland was given a lanyard bearing the Australian flag by mistake. The similarity of the two nation's flags has been among the arguments made by Prime Minister John Key for change.

Mulholland said organisers were apologetic at the error. He also learned at the conference, which attracted flag experts from around the world, that the process New Zealand was undertaking to find a new flag, with designs called for from the population and then voted on, had never been done before.

Australians were watching the referendum closely, he said. If New Zealand changed its flag then Australia would be one of only four sovereign nations to still carry the Union Jack. These would be the United Kingdom, Tuvalu and Fiji, which is also in the process of changing its flag.

If the referendum voted for the status quo next year, Mulholland said it would be interesting to see if one of the unsuccessful flags was adopted as a defacto ensign. He said the next opportunity to change the flag would not come until New Zealand became a republic.

- Manawatu Standard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Bottom right is probably the best of the four, but this would be better;

2s9pyiw.jpg

Though by the time we get a new flag the one above will probably look like this;

2eqamn6.jpg
I don't think a new flag is acceptable if it doesn't have a nod to indigenous people.

I also think a new flag should bear our national colours.

I don't think a new flag is acceptable if it doesn't have a nod to indigenous people.

So you're saying that you want a divisive flag that separates the indigenous from the rest of us "Australians"?

Why does it have to have a nod to the indigenous people to be acceptable? How many world flags pander to a single section of the population (apart from those who have a canton representing ownership)?

As has been discussed before, if that was the case then it would have to have a nod to every other culture that has equal right to call the nation their own, and boy that would be a mess of a flag. A flag that represents everyone without singling out a single group is the only way to go.

So you're saying that you want a divisive flag that separates the indigenous from the rest of us "Australians"?
No, much the opposite. The idea of having a nod to indigenous Australians is out of respect and recognition of their status as the original inhabitants of the land. Much like the current consititional recognition push.

Why does it have to have a nod to the indigenous people to be acceptable? How many world flags pander to a single section of the population (apart from those who have a canton representing ownership)?

As has been discussed before, if that was the case then it would have to have a nod to every other culture that has equal right to call the nation their own, and boy that would be a mess of a flag. A flag that represents everyone without singling out a single group is the only way to go.
The indigenous population is more to Australia than just a "single section of the population". Not every other culture in Australia can lay claim to being the first owners of the land. I agree with your last sentence, which is why I think a 'nod' to indigenous Australians on an inclusive color scheme is the way to go.
I hardly think a stylized boomerang/forward pointing arrow is overly "singling" anyone out. I think it's quite a good, subtle nod.

No, much the opposite. The idea of having a nod to indigenous Australians is out of respect and recognition of their status as the original inhabitants of the land. Much like the current consititional recognition push.
But it's literally divisive because it's like "here's the indigenous and here's everyone else". It literally divides the flag into "us" and "them"

The indigenous population is more to Australia than just a "single section of the population". Not every other culture in Australia can lay claim to being the first owners of the land. I agree with your last sentence, which is why I think a 'nod' to indigenous Australians on an inclusive color scheme is the way to go.
I have as much of a birthright to call this my country and my land as anyone else born here.

But it's literally divisive because it's like "here's the indigenous and here's everyone else". It literally divides the flag into "us" and "them"
The only thing the boomerang divides is the colours. It is a design feature, it's just a part of the flag. Not dissimilar to how our indigenous history is a part of who we are as a country.
I have as much of a birthright to call this my country and my land as anyone else born here.
I never said otherwise, I'm simply saying indigenous Australians' ancestors were the first owners of the land.

You must be totally unfamiliar with how indigenous people view their land. It's nothing like the western concept of land 'ownership'.
Perhaps I am, however when I am taught in school or read about things such as, for example, Mabo, I hear things like "In May 1982, led by Eddie Mabo, they began their legal claim for ownership of their lands."

To add my two cents in, there definitely has to be a nod somewhere to the indigenous peoples of Australia. One element at least, whether it's a dotted border of a flag/element or even something minimal, there needs to be the unification of the Anglos and the Original inhabitants of the land, showing peace between the two cultures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back