Preview 2013 Draft/Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inside Football Mock Draft – Nov. 12th.
5. Gold Coast Suns
Kade Kolodjashnij | Launceston | 190cm | 81kg.
Quiet and unassuming, the man known as ‘KK’ has shot up draft boards over recent months and could even be taken by the Saints at pick 3. If he becomes a Sun, look for them to also take twin brother Jake at pick 20 should he still be on the board as pre draft interviews suggested the twins work better when in tandem.

20. Gold Coast Suns
Jake Kolodjashnij | Launceston | 192cm | 90kg.
Gold Coast is yet to settle their defensive back six and by adding another tall, it will give them a few more options down the track. If the Suns want to pair up the twins, they will need to pick Jake here instead of waiting until pick No.27 with both Port Adelaide and Adelaide looming behind and both having great interest in the versatile defender.

That's the first mock draft I've seen with Salem inside the top 10. Doubt that will happen. Thinking more that Collingwood will take Sharenberg at 6 as Bontempelli should still be available at 10, but if they dont then there's no way Brisbane will take McCarthy ahead of Sharenberg.

if jake would be taken around the 20-mark regardless of whether his brother has already been drafted by us, then i'm all for having another tall defender. warnock and bock won't be around forever, same with murphy i guess. take away those three and rory is our only main kpd with game time, along with may/day who have stints down there at times.

having 2 developing kpd's in schade and jk would be ideal i think.

if jake would be taken around the 20-mark regardless of whether his brother has already been drafted by us, then i'm all for having another tall defender. warnock and bock won't be around forever, same with murphy i guess. take away those three and rory is our only main kpd with game time, along with may/day who have stints down there at times.

having 2 developing kpd's in schade and jk would be ideal i think.

He isnt really that tall though... he is only 192cm.

Didn't know where to post this as it's a little off topic to us.... But In the past two drafts GWS have drafted 20 players apparently and only one of them is not from Victoria!

Potential homesick issues down the track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me this is one of the key differences between us and GWS, they have seemed to accept home sickness and attempted to get the most out of it when it eventually comes around by drafting from a state where there will be plenty of competition in an eventual trade. Whereas we have attempted to draft from states where the players have few or no options to return home. Very defeatist option from GWS IMO.

To me this is one of the key differences between us and GWS, they have seemed to accept home sickness and attempted to get the most out of it when it eventually comes around by drafting from a state where there will be plenty of competition in an eventual trade. Whereas we have attempted to draft from states where the players have few or no options to return home. Very defeatist option from GWS IMO.

Also you never get full value for homesick players. That would be an awul strategy if true.

193, and still probably got some growth left in him. He's also very athletic, having one of the best vertical leaps in his draft class. Usually covers the big forwards well.

If he is that may just cut the mustard but I cannot honestly say I have seen him listed as 193cm anywhere.

EDIT: Sunny where have you seen him listed at 193cm? I am curious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think for such a manly sport the players would be able to cope with living away on the Gold Coast. It's literally a two hour flight to Melbourne FFS. It's nothing. Plus you've got the sunshine, beaches and beautiful women.

As somebody who has to travel much further to work, and even further again to see my loved ones, I have absolutely no sympathy for those piss-weak Nancies that can't leave the security of their mothers skirt.

Home sick my ass. End of rant. :thumbsdown:

If he is that may just cut the mustard but I cannot honestly say I have seen him listed as 193cm anywhere.

EDIT: Sunny where have you seen him listed at 193cm? I am curious.

http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-jake-kolodjashnij-2/#more-5571

JAKE KOLODJASHNIJ

Height: 192cms
Weight: 88kgs
Team/Club: Tasmania/Launceston
Position: Key Defender/Third Tall
Player Comparison: Michael Talia
Draft Range: 40-70

The other half of the Kolodjashnij twins, Jake is a different prospect to his brother Kade – however there are plenty of similarities to draw between the two, despite the different positions they both play. Jake is the key defender, sublimely agile, super strong, athletic and comes with a truck load of natural ability. A brilliant aerialist, Kolodjashnij has stood out as one of the better key talls of this year’s intake of draftees, demonstrating his bag of tricks playing tall or small, lock down and even breaking lines occasionally underlining his deceiving burst of speed he posses. Jake however, is at his best when playing a lockdown role, the type of role that shallows out very quickly in this year’s draft, which makes his draft stocks all the more impressive given the high demand of quality defenders clubs are looking to bring in this November. Kolodjashnij knows how to take a mark, however is smart to do so when he knows he can 100% take it, otherwise Kolodjashnij put’s the team first but killing the ball and the contest. Although he only stands at 192cms, Kolodjashnij has the attributes to play as a third key tall in defence, whilst occasionally playing on the oppositions second best forward. In a one-on-one contest, Kolodjashnij is rarely beaten, showing plenty of strength and isn’t afraid to be drawn to the goal square or rag-dolling his opponent off the ball in a display of strength and determination.

‘It was a bit different, but I was really happy for him as well, of course. The strangest thing was not having him there, because it was only two weeks but it was the longest we’ve been away from each other. I got used to it, but it was weird having no one to talk to.”

- Jake Kolodjashnij on his experiences whilst his brother Kade was away with the AFL-AIS Squad in Europe

Strengths

Very strong in a contested marking situation, loves to body up, throws himself at the ball, kills a contest before taking a defensive mark, good reader of the play, elite vision and awareness, hard worker, AFL ready, has leadership qualities, agile and athletic, very mobile, knows how to play the percentages and has a team-first attitude. Has played quite a lot of senior football in the TSL for Launceston which will be highly favoured.

Weaknesses

Not overly great once the ball hits the ground, but given his athleticism – this is something that he can easily work on. Doesn’t often kick the ball, preferring to handball to a running defender. Although he’s played against some strong bodies, his young body and inexperienced can sometimes often give away free kicks if he’s really “worried into it” by another key forward.

http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-jake-kolodjashnij-2/#more-5571

JAKE KOLODJASHNIJ

Height: 192cms
Weight: 88kgs
Team/Club: Tasmania/Launceston
Position: Key Defender/Third Tall
Player Comparison: Michael Talia
Draft Range: 40-70

The other half of the Kolodjashnij twins, Jake is a different prospect to his brother Kade – however there are plenty of similarities to draw between the two, despite the different positions they both play. Jake is the key defender, sublimely agile, super strong, athletic and comes with a truck load of natural ability. A brilliant aerialist, Kolodjashnij has stood out as one of the better key talls of this year’s intake of draftees, demonstrating his bag of tricks playing tall or small, lock down and even breaking lines occasionally underlining his deceiving burst of speed he posses. Jake however, is at his best when playing a lockdown role, the type of role that shallows out very quickly in this year’s draft, which makes his draft stocks all the more impressive given the high demand of quality defenders clubs are looking to bring in this November. Kolodjashnij knows how to take a mark, however is smart to do so when he knows he can 100% take it, otherwise Kolodjashnij put’s the team first but killing the ball and the contest. Although he only stands at 192cms, Kolodjashnij has the attributes to play as a third key tall in defence, whilst occasionally playing on the oppositions second best forward. In a one-on-one contest, Kolodjashnij is rarely beaten, showing plenty of strength and isn’t afraid to be drawn to the goal square or rag-dolling his opponent off the ball in a display of strength and determination.

‘It was a bit different, but I was really happy for him as well, of course. The strangest thing was not having him there, because it was only two weeks but it was the longest we’ve been away from each other. I got used to it, but it was weird having no one to talk to.”

- Jake Kolodjashnij on his experiences whilst his brother Kade was away with the AFL-AIS Squad in Europe

Strengths

Very strong in a contested marking situation, loves to body up, throws himself at the ball, kills a contest before taking a defensive mark, good reader of the play, elite vision and awareness, hard worker, AFL ready, has leadership qualities, agile and athletic, very mobile, knows how to play the percentages and has a team-first attitude. Has played quite a lot of senior football in the TSL for Launceston which will be highly favoured.

Weaknesses

Not overly great once the ball hits the ground, but given his athleticism – this is something that he can easily work on. Doesn’t often kick the ball, preferring to handball to a running defender. Although he’s played against some strong bodies, his young body and inexperienced can sometimes often give away free kicks if he’s really “worried into it” by another key forward.

That says 192cms though. I have seens loads of profiles on him but none have said 193cms.

You don't need to be that tall to be a key defender. Darren Glass and Luke McPharlin are both only 192cm and the two of them have been some of the best key defenders of the game for the past decade. Jake's height won't be an issue if he's got as great of a vertical leap as claimed.

You don't need to be that tall to be a key defender. Darren Glass and Luke McPharlin are both only 192cm and the two of them have been some of the best key defenders of the game for the past decade. Jake's height won't be an issue if he's got as great of a vertical leap as claimed.

Yeah true. You have to be very, very good to make it at 192cm though. You would definitely prefer he had a smidge more height. Either way I will welcome him on to the list because it will have a positive effect on KK who we look likely to draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back