Rumour Big name from Port on the way out

Remove this Banner Ad

The two most likely players from Port to leave are Lobbe and Schulz. If you listen to Hinkley's radio interview on 5AA a few days ago, he came across extremely confident that Schulz was going to stay. Given that McCarthy has requested a trade to WA (apparently Freo have offered him a mega deal), the chances of Freo acquiring both players is very low. On the logic that they would rather youth over a 30+ veteran, Schulz is likely to stay at Port Adelaide. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Lobbe is traded. He might not constitute a "big name" but he's a vice-captain at the footy club and was seemingly redundant for a large portion of the year. I could definitely see a team like Carlton picking him up, especially given Carlton are likely to let Kreuzer go.

There are enough statements made in this thread which explain Port's cap situation well enough such that I'm not going to go into it in depth. I think a lot of people are also overlooking that both Matt White and Gus Monfries have expiring contracts at the end of 2016. There's an extra 700k to accommodate the increase in salaries of Wines and Wingard from 2017 onwards if they are in a pinch, not that I believe they are, anyway.

What I don't understand is the following: In the last few years Hawthorn have acquired Frawley and been linked to Wingard and Dangerfield. Geelong traded for Mitch Clark and are linked to Dangerfield, Henderson and Scott Selwood. Collingwood are likely to land Treloar, and have been linked to Aish, Kreuzer and a few others. I understand that every circumstance is different, but why is it that of all these transactions, it is only Port Adelaide who are cap tied?

Has been a key member of our team, when he is firing port are firing. That's 300k a year. Worth every dollar and more

Yeah but if you lose Robbie Gray because you paid a million dollars to Matt White then it's not a very wise move in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah but if you lose Robbie Gray because you paid a million dollars to Matt White then it's not a very wise move in the grand scheme of things.
You seriously believe a BF posters opinion?

You realise 330k p/y is just spot on average salary yea? For a front ended contract he's probably being payed less than most fringe players at our and other clubs. Get your hand off it mate.

That's alright we didn't have to cheat, get given multiple priority picks or get given multiple blockbuster time slots despite mediocrity to turn our club around. :):thumbsu:

Nah, you guys needed a ridiculous amount of AFL support and then a stadium worth hundreds of millions of dollars. That's about the same as the other franchise clubs like yourself :) #est97

Nah, you guys needed a ridiculous amount of AFL support and then a stadium worth hundreds of millions of dollars. That's about the same as the other franchise clubs like yourself :) #est97
Think you're getting your teams mixed up there champ. ;)

The two most likely players from Port to leave are Lobbe and Schulz. If you listen to Hinkley's radio interview on 5AA a few days ago, he came across extremely confident that Schulz was going to stay. Given that McCarthy has requested a trade to WA (apparently Freo have offered him a mega deal), the chances of Freo acquiring both players is very low. On the logic that they would rather youth over a 30+ veteran, Schulz is likely to stay at Port Adelaide. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Lobbe is traded. He might not constitute a "big name" but he's a vice-captain at the footy club and was seemingly redundant for a large portion of the year. I could definitely see a team like Carlton picking him up, especially given Carlton are likely to let Kreuzer go.

There are enough statements made in this thread which explain Port's cap situation well enough such that I'm not going to go into it in depth. I think a lot of people are also overlooking that both Matt White and Gus Monfries have expiring contracts at the end of 2016. There's an extra 700k to accommodate the increase in salaries of Wines and Wingard from 2017 onwards if they are in a pinch, not that I believe they are, anyway.

What I don't understand is the following: In the last few years Hawthorn have acquired Frawley and been linked to Wingard and Dangerfield. Geelong traded for Mitch Clark and are linked to Dangerfield, Henderson and Scott Selwood. Collingwood are likely to land Treloar, and have been linked to Aish, Kreuzer and a few others. I understand that every circumstance is different, but why is it that of all these transactions, it is only Port Adelaide who are cap tied?
Because Kochy doesn't have a lot of power in the SA media market, so you can't offer megabucks to players like happens in Melbourne for all the well connected clubs. A lot of the pay doesn't come out of the cap, but out of service agreements with third parties. Think Judd with Pratt, or all of Collingwood with Eddie's companies. (Cloke on the Footy show.)It's corrupt as all get out, and disadvantages (again) non Victorian clubs.

Let's clear up something, Hinkley would never in a million years trade any of the following: Gray, Hartlett, Boak, Wingard, Wines, Trengove, Lobbe, Ebert, Broadbent, Pittard, Westhoff, Hombsch and Jonas. He just won't trade those players. Everything you from rumours and the media are complete bullshit. We have enough money in the cap for Dixon, simple as that.

Surely he'd have to have considered Pittard from time to time?
I've never seen any other player go so far our of their way to lose an entire game of football before.

They'll get our first pick and that's it, Hartlett ain't going anywhere
Are you planning on paying Dixon? This thread is about salary cap, not the trade to get him to club.

I would assume that a club fighting for the flag is pretty much using their full salary cap, especially after picking Ryder up last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's an interesting article from last year:

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...ugh-equalisation/story-fni5f22o-1226942014359
The salary cap will go up by roughly $500,000 to more than $10 million in 2015, with the league and player union agreeing on a 5 per cent pay increase.

That means clubs this year paying 95 per cent of the cap will have an extra $1 million next year, combining the increases in the cap and the need for clubs to pay the full 100 per cent.

We know port was one of the lower spending clubs because it was allowed to spend over the cap this year (with money it had to spend this year or lose it)

So with cap increases of 500k in 2015 plus the 5% or so they paid 'under' the cap in 2014 plus the ability to pay over in 2015 (before they lost it) port list in 2015 could well be paid 1.5 million more than 2015 - the last 500k of which being a bonus they had to spend in 2015 or they lost it.

Below is a summary of the rule changes:
http://m.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-06-04/save-now-spend-later-port
The banking scheme was the most innovative measure introduced as part of the AFL's competitive balance policy announced on Wednesday.

The AFL says the system will enable clubs who turn their financial fortunes around to retain players and catch up with other clubs by managing their player payments system better.

Under the new 'banking' system clubs will be allowed, for instance, to exceed the competition's total player payments (TPP) and additional service agreements (ASA) limit by a maximum five per cent in 2016 if they spend under 100 per cent of the salary cap in 2015 under a new measure introduced as part of the AFL's new competitive balance policy.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-04/afl-statement-competitive-balance-policy
INCREASED PAYMENTS TO PLAYERS
• Increase TPP by an additional $150,000 per Club in 2015 and in 2016 above already contracted amounts:
‒ 2015 – increase from $9.92m to $10.07m (+$150,000)
‒ 2016 – increase from $10.22m to 10.37m (+$150,000)
• TPP increases to be self-funded by larger Clubs and supported by increased revenue sharing for smaller Clubs

A NEW TPP BANKING MECHANISM
• Introduce a new TPP banking mechanism that allows Clubs to spend over 100% of the TPP and ASA limits (combined limit), if in any of the preceding two years the Club spent below 100% of the combined limit
• The permitted amount of overspend is commensurate with the level of underspend in the relevant preceding period - for instance, if a Club was $500k below the combined limit in 2015, they can spend up to $500k over the combined limits across 2016 and 2017
• The overspend amount in any given year permits a Club to spend up to a maximum of 105% of the combined limit in that year
• This mechanism is effective from season 2015 (as such any underspends in 2013 and/or 2014 can be recovered in 2015)

Last edited:
Are you planning on paying Dixon? This thread is about salary cap, not the trade to get him to club.

I would assume that a club fighting for the flag is pretty much using their full salary cap, especially after picking Ryder up last year.
We have enough room in the cap, he is only asking for 500k a year.
Look at port who is on big money right now (700-mill)
- Boak
- Gray
- Ryder
Players on high but not excessive (500-700)
- Trengove
- Lobbe
- maybe Westhoff

All the rest of the players would be on 100-400. Chad and Ollie will be in the top category at the end of next year but still. Compare that to hawthorn

We have enough room in the cap, he is only asking for 500k a year.
Look at port who is on big money right now (700-mill)
- Boak
- Gray
- Ryder
Players on high but not excessive (500-700)
- Trengove
- Lobbe
- maybe Westhoff

All the rest of the players would be on 100-400. Chad and Ollie will be in the top category at the end of next year but still. Compare that to hawthorn

Apparently at Hawthorn they do it for love, not money! :rolleyes:

Seriously, Hartlett for Dixon would be overs in my opinion. As good as Dixon, there's still a big question mark given he's struggles to stay on the park. Pick 10 sounds about right. R.Gray to even be mentioned is as silly as it gets. A premium midfielder. Maybe the OPs source meant that GC have asked for those players as initially they would ask overs. I would hope they would've got shut down immediately by Port.

Being from Vic you've clearly got your head so far up your own arse that you've got no idea what's going on.
Schulz is tipped to leave as he wants a 2 year contract and Port have a policy of 1 year contracts once you hit 30.
Even then, it still seems like Schulz is going to accept our offer and stay.
You'd reckon Richmond supporters would be busy trying to figure out how to win a final after the last two failures, rather than worrying about Ports supposed salary cap woes.

Could only see Schulz or Lobbe making way for Dixon.

We rate Hartlett, he would be untouchable. Wingard last night made it clear he is going nowhere.

Lobbe sounds most likely.

Dixon is a forward / ruck and Ryder is a much better ruck than a forward.

Port need to be very careful. Trade / lose Lobbe and then Ryder gets a suspension from WADA and they will need Lobbe big time.

I like how people think the club would come out and confirm they will put effort into bringing Dixon in without having worked out that we can squeeze him in.

We aren't going to announce this on the speculative basis that we might lose a player or trade one. We would've adjusted other new contracts being offered and uncontracted players like Schulz would therefore be the loser.

Additionally further confirming this and highlighting the ignorance in this thread. When talking about Bennell we straight out confirmed that we can't afford him. We could say yes we will get him, but we aren't going to make that statement on the basis of getting rid of someone.

On another note, Port's weakness right now is our midfield depth, we will not sacrifice a key midfielder and expose that weakness when we are aiming for top 4.

Also if people don't realise Robbie Gray is the best player on our list and in the top 3-5 in the comp they've got no idea. Wingard is good but he isn't past Gray yet.

The only big names we could lose would be Schulz whose uncontracted or Lobbe if a really super offer came in trade week for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back