Trigg and Co

Remove this Banner Ad

chipzac

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
We've almost finished changing all the personnel in our management, recruiting and coaching departments and over time we will find out just how many of these changes we got right. It may be too early to make any judgements now about how our management is doing, but I for one am not liking how things are looking so far.

For me, there are questions about our management's ability to:

1) manage player contracts, payments, terms (e.g. the Jones fiasco) and our salary cap. Is it true we don't have much room?

2) communicate with players throughout the season and know whether any are disgruntled so we are not caught off guard by an announcement that a player wants out at the end of the year. Most players want to change clubs because a) they don't have enough opportunities to play b) they want to be closer to their families/friends c) they want more money. I'm not sure any of the above applies to Yarran and Henderson, so what exactly are their reasons? If it were some things they didn't like about the club, I would hope the management knew and tried to do address them. I'm not suggesting we excuse those two players in any way, but I get the feeling LoGiudice/Trigg/McKay are not only out of touch with the members, but with the players, too.

3) manage and advise players wanting out so the players make their exit more appropriately and don't burn bridges and create unfavourable media attention before the season has finished (e.g. Henderson). Could/should Henderson have been persuaded to keep silent about his intentions until the end of the season?

4) Negotiate well with other teams to get good outcomes when we trade players. Adelaide's CEO stated they are standing firm over Dangerfield and threatened they would force him to the draft if they don't receive a fair trade. It's still early, I know, but has Trigg stated our stance on trades for Yarran and Henderson? There have been reports that we have insisted we will not 'roll over' for Henderson and will extract the best deal, but as the 'best deal' (we can manage, I presume) may not be as good as a 'fair deal', I would much rather Trigg take a similar strong stance and make a statement to that effect.

Finally, is anyone impressed by the management/leadership skills shown to date by LoGiudice, Trigg or McKay?

We've almost finished changing all the personnel in our management, recruiting and coaching departments and over time we will find out just how many of these changes we got right. It may be too early to make any judgements now about how our management is doing, but I for one am not liking how things are looking so far.

1) manage player contracts, payments, terms (e.g. the Jones fiasco) and our salary cap. Is it true we don't have much room?

2) communicate with players throughout the season and know whether any are disgruntled so we are not caught off guard by an announcement that a player wants out at the end of the year. Most players want to change clubs because a) they don't have enough opportunities to play b) they want to be closer to their families/friends c) they want more money. I'm not sure any of the above applies to Yarran and Henderson, so what exactly are their reasons? If it were some things they didn't like about the club, I would hope the management knew and tried to do address them. I'm not suggesting we excuse those two players in any way, but I get the feeling LoGiudice/Trigg/McKay are not only out of touch with the members, but with the players, too.

3) manage and advise players wanting out so the players make their exit more appropriately and don't burn bridges and create unfavourable media attention before the season has finished (e.g. Henderson). Could/should Henderson have been persuaded to keep silent about his intentions until the end of the season?

4) Negotiate well with other teams to get good outcomes when we trade players. Adelaide's CEO stated they are standing firm over Dangerfield and threatened they would force him to the draft if they don't receive a fair trade. It's still early, I know, but has Trigg stated our stance on trades for Yarran and Henderson? There have been reports that we have insisted we will not 'roll over' for Henderson and will extract the best deal, but as the 'best deal' (we can manage, I presume) may not be as good as a 'fair deal', I would much rather Trigg take a similar strong stance and make a statement to that effect.

Finally, is anyone impressed by the management/leadership skills shown to date by LoGiudice, Trigg or McKay?

I'm impressed with MLG and Trigg. There are several question marks about McKay's contribution to list management, when the other 2 involved last off season have been given marching orders/left. It really is too early to tell about how we build the list from here, though at least the right noises have been made.

McKay comes across as a plodder - this coudl be very different to his ability to do what he is supposed to be doing though. The President and Trigg are one year into the job- and mostly back foot playing a bad hand dealt by previous administration - if you can call it that. The clean up has progressed (if you want to call it that) and the Club now has a List Manager in SOS who is talking a 66 game ( 3 year) rebuild back to contention a new Coach who is talking about building a sustainable and enduring list and development culture - and a bunch assistant coaches being changed- it looks like Barker is remaining which is probably a good thing and we are looking for a Direcor of Coaching to help.

Henderson/Yarran are embarrassing lagging indicators of how players can get to a position of just wanting out - the past finishing its outworkings in my book.
The spoon is a lagging embarrassing indicator - again - uncomfortable - but to be used to maximum benefit - it seems we are about t bag a once in a generation type KPD.
Kreuzer/Bell and maybe Menzel are normal look at what I can get or I want to be back home for whatever reasons that every team will face every year- I dont see them as indicators of anything.

Trigg/SOS and co will be judged around what they can achieve in maximising the trade situation as a first call and SOS et al will be judged on how we manage teh whole draft period. All indicator are that he is at least on top of the issues and wont be doing a Betts/Garlett/Robinson/Laidler/Wiate brain fade and get NOTHING.

So a rational supporter will be gritting teeth and saying ok lets rebuild and lets look forward to a better run Club and better on field developments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we appointed a head recruiter to replace Rogers? Or is SOS doing 2 jobs.

Not good enough if we haven't.

Recruiter should likely be named soon enough..........unless things have changed. Lost track of whether we're still getting the GWS guy.

For now I feel that Trigg is the glue at the club and seems to be the one that's introducing best (OK, better) practices.

As for the rest..........How wide a broom can we get?

Think we should wait and see what happens in this draft/trade period before making a judgement on Trigg/McKay.

If they can somehow get Lennon for Yarran and Aish for Bell, and bring in Carlisle, that would be a tidy bit of business.

Reckon we're hamstrung with Hendo opting to join Geelong, don't think they can really be blamed if (as most likely) we'll get fleeced for Hendo, the system is at fault there for not protecting clubs enough when a player only nominates one club to be traded to.

Think we should wait and see what happens in this draft/trade period before making a judgement on Trigg/McKay.

If they can somehow get Lennon for Yarran and Aish for Bell, and bring in Carlisle, that would be a tidy bit of business.
Reckon we're hamstrung with Hendo opting to join Geelong, don't think they can really be blamed if (as most likely) we'll get fleeced for Hendo, the system is at fault there for not protecting clubs enough when a player only nominates one club to be traded to.

If Trigg and McKay are invested in reeling in talent, we're in trouble.

It's now SOS's job with Bolton at a short distance. The other guys can sign off on the deals but no more sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong.

agree about trigg. mckay has had enough time. great footballer, nice bloke, poor administrator in my opinion. if we are rebuilding we need the best possible in all the key positions

If Trigg and McKay are invested in reeling in talent, we're in trouble.

It's now SOS's job with Bolton at a short distance. The other guys can sign off on the deals but no more sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong.

They and the club are in a no win position with Henderson, we're either going to have to accept unders for him, or send him into the PSD out of principal, unless another club like Brisbane can convince Hendo to join him, that's how it will most probably play out.

Think we can categorically rule out pick 9 for Hendo.

Stephen Silvagni - General Manager - List Management and Strategy

Stephen Silvagni - General Manager - List Management and Strategy

Ah okay, but I just assumed McKay was thr one involved in several of our trades in the past few years (Doc, Everitt etc)

Not exactly sure what his duties as footy operations manager are to be honest (aside from the contractual negotiations of players)

Well,

Re point no 1: My opinion regarding some of the contracts, particularly those of Warnock and Jones is a concern. These were done under different management. LoGiudicie wasn’t there at the time, Kernahan was. Trigg wasn’t there at the time Swan was. McKay has been there through all of them. Is he solely responsible? Doubt it very much. Is it something we need to get much better at? Yes absolutely. That along with a few other areas that will ultimately determine whether we are the next Rich or Melb or whether we gradually become the next Geelong. Time will tell.

Point No 2: Players are difficult. If they don’t get played where they want they become disgruntled, If they don’t get the respect they think they deserve they become disgruntled. When they’re in a team that isn’t performing they often start looking elsewhere…..They appear to all want to play in finals. Carlton isn’t that team at the moment. Carlton are the team that isn’t in finals, isn’t developing, and are generally looking for a silver bullet in the form of a coach. We appear to of turned the corner in that respect now but I’d certainly hope that in the right environment the club, the coach the well-being manager or whoever has generally developed a relationship with the players and thus possess an understanding of who is and who isn’t disgruntled. Once we start looking like a club that is on the rise, aka Western Bulldogs players won’t leave, players will stay, and we might even attract players from other clubs. That time is not now.

Point no 3: Could or should of Henderson have remained silent. I’m not sure on this one. Think he was widely criticised for his actions. If he didn’t want to remain at the CFC then he should leave immediately. The timing of the decision just made him look like a goose. His mum didn’t help either. Unsure what Yarrans situation is.But my instincts tell me that it may have something to do with Betts, Gartlett, and Robbo.What we need now is some good returns. I’m a new poster here but my opinions on what and how we need to roll forward has been posted for all to see. It’s time for us to build a dynasty, from the ground up.

Point No 4: Not sure whether there is any value in stating anything regarding trades at the moment. Trade week starts a week after the GF. Maybe we should quietly and diligently deal with clubs who are interested and do whatever is best for the long term future of the club. I believe that making public statements might have a negative impact when negotiations finally start happening. Just my opinion.

Last point. Not sure re McKay for the reasons stated. Am impressed by Trigg (his performance in a very difficult year has been great) Mark LoGiudice has been good. He hasn’t done anything for me to wince in pain. I was impressed with how he handled the Bolton appointment. It appears the CFC has finally entered the modern world of football management.

Ah okay, but I just assumed McKay was thr one involved in several of our trades in the past few years (Doc, Everitt etc)

Not exactly sure what his duties as footy operations manager are to be honest (aside from the contractual negotiations of players)

SOS's position is newly created as we have never had a GM List Manager in the past.

As for McKay, I would hazard a guess at saying he is involved with contract negotiations along with Trigg but I am not too sure if he has been involved in trades in the past.

zeeCFC or Sin City can you please shed some light on Macca's role and if he is involved in trades.

zeeCFC or Sin City can you please shed some light on Macca's role and if he is involved in trades.
The managers of all football related areas (high performance, coaches, recruiting etc) answer to McKay. Areas like membership, accounts etc answer to Trigg, as does McKay. He will not be involved much in trade negotiations but will still be involved in contracts. He's also general manager of leaks to the media and doing a great job of it. Silvagni will control trade negotiations this year.

The managers of all football related areas (high performance, coaches, recruiting etc) answer to McKay. He will not be involved much in trade negotiations but will still be involved in contracts. He's also general manager of leaks to the media and doing a great job of it. Silvagni will control trade negotiations this year.

Thanks Sin City :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back