Manchester United thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if romerlol was in goal probably would of been 3-3 guy is a hack
Disagree. Romero has been solid enough in all bar Swansea, who are our bogey side.

Now we need to consolidate, the next 3 weeks are the most important of our season IMO. Arsenal, Everton, City. If we can get 5+ points from that we enter our easiest run with Palace, Brom, Watford, Leicester.

Why?

The guy is a grub. Proved it twice. Unlike him I have remained firm on my opinion. Mind you nobody paid me what I wanted to change my mind.

Proved it twice?

First time he questioned the clubs ambition in the transfer market and with the benefit of hindsight was absolutely right to do so, there's no denying Fergie really dropped the ball in this regard and let City and Chelsea fight over the best talent. The second time around he'd had a huge falling out with Fergie over game time and the fact that he was being used all over the place rather than getting a consistent run in any position, that's a fair grievance IMO.

Say what you want about Rooney as a player but he's a great captain with a clear passion for this football club.

Proved it twice?

First time he questioned the clubs ambition in the transfer market and with the benefit of hindsight was absolutely right to do so, there's no denying Fergie really dropped the ball in this regard and let City and Chelsea fight over the best talent. The second time around he'd had a huge falling out with Fergie over game time and the fact that he was being used all over the place rather than getting a consistent run in any position, that's a fair grievance IMO.

Say what you want about Rooney as a player but he's a great captain with a clear passion for this football club.

Clear passion for cash which seemed to sway his opinions about our ambition pretty darn quickly and then again cash swayed him to be happy helping the team in any position.

Grub!

As for Captain...Will never be a great...Only Option at the time he might be described as but not great.

Personally I think we'd be a better team all round without Rooney. But he is our captain and he can play some great balls, but he looked lost against Sunderland and I think mata would make a better no.10

We then have Martial who is a 10x better striker than Rooney now, and Wilson should be getting some bloody game time.

Clear passion for cash which seemed to sway his opinions about our ambition pretty darn quickly and then again cash swayed him to be happy helping the team in any position.

Grub!

As for Captain...Will never be a great...Only Option at the time he might be described as but not great.

FMD am I on BF or RedCafe right now?

The cash offer was ridiculous but I'd say Fergie leaving the club kind of made their relationship breakdown a void point, plus it's on record that one of the first things Moyes did was sit Rooney down and guarantee that he'd be playing up front, which he did excellently that season FWIW. I'd blame Woody and Moyes for the huge offer tbh, you only need to look at the contract they dished out to Nani that season to see that common sense wasn't particularly prevalent in our contract discussions at the time.

Rooney is a great captain, LVG has recently labelled him the best captain he's ever worked with, he's the captain of his country and in his youth he was always spoken about as a potential leader for us due to the fact he has always displayed vocal leadership qualities on the field. You're kidding yourself if you honestly think he's only captaining because there was no one else, Van Persie had just captained the Netherlands to a third place World Cup finish under LVG FFS.

I like Rooney, but In 2010 when he wanted to leave, and then stayed after receiving a massive pay rise, I lost a lot of respect for him and to this day don't look at him the same. Then there were rumours of him doing it again and wanting to go to Chelsea 2 years ago, again I lost more respect.

He's been one of my favourite players over the years but let's not beat around the bush here, he is all about the money.

I do agree though that we are better off without Rooney in the starting XI, I disagree that Mata would be a better fit at #10 though, he's a superb footballer, our best passer and finisher IMO, but his physical limitations become much more evident and thus make him much easier to shut out of a game when he's operating as the focal point. This is a big part of why Mourinho let him go and whilst Mata doesn't have the pace to play out wide I honestly think LVG is spot on with playing him there anyway as the position offers him the freedom and space to capitalize on his talent whilst also minimizing his limitations.

The cash offer was ridiculous but I'd say Fergie leaving the club kind of made their relationship breakdown a void point, plus it's on record that one of the first things Moyes did was sit Rooney down and guarantee that he'd be playing up front, which he did excellently that season FWIW. I'd blame Woody and Moyes for the huge offer tbh, you only need to look at the contract they dished out to Nani that season to see that common sense wasn't particularly prevalent in our contract discussions at the time.

Rooney is a great captain, LVG has recently labelled him the best captain he's ever worked with, he's the captain of his country and in his youth he was always spoken about as a potential leader for us due to the fact he has always displayed vocal leadership qualities on the field. You're kidding yourself if you honestly think he's only captaining because there was no one else, Van Persie had just captained the Netherlands to a third place World Cup finish under LVG FFS.

Why are your jimmies rustled.

I have my opinion and you have yours, end of discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to hear how Rooney is a great captain.

As a strong supporter of both United and England I say you are having a laugh.

Rooney was just in the right place at the right time when Van Gaal took over, not many other options with Evra and Vidic just leaving.
Same with England as well.

I would love to hear how Rooney is a great captain.

As a strong supporter of both United and England I say you are having a laugh.

I'll concede great is getting carried away as that word is thrown around far too liberally but he's a good captain for United and you've just quoted a few of the reasons why I think this is the case, you obviously disagree so I don't see the point in repeating myself.

Why are your jimmies rustled.

I have my opinion and you have yours, end of discussion.

I was in the throes of one of the worst hangovers of my life yesterday so I was in a very unpleasant mood, apologies if you thought I was being a dick. I just hate how heavily maligned Rooney gets for this stuff as there are two sides to every story and time has proved he was right to doubt the club first time around, the second case I can understand his grievances with the club.

Chelsea put a few low ball bids in, which we rejected, so in order to keep him we offered a huge contract which he accepted. Change Chelsea to Madrid and I've just described the DDG saga, but his reputation hasn't taken anywhere near as much of a dive. Liverpool fans think Stevie Me is the best thing since sliced bread, the ultimate clubman, and he did the same thing. At the end of the day Rooney has been a huge player for this club, yes he's tried to leave but that doesn't mean he doesn't care, I just feel he gets an unfair rep for those actions considering how common this sort of thing has become in football.

I'll concede great is getting carried away as that word is thrown around far too liberally but he's a good captain for United and you've just quoted a few of the reasons why I think this is the case, you obviously disagree so I don't see the point in repeating myself.

I was in the throes of one of the worst hangovers of my life yesterday so I was in a very unpleasant mood, apologies if you thought I was being a dick. I just hate how heavily maligned Rooney gets for this stuff as there are two sides to every story and time has proved he was right to doubt the club first time around, the second case I can understand his grievances with the club.

Chelsea put a few low ball bids in, which we rejected, so in order to keep him we offered a huge contract which he accepted. Change Chelsea to Madrid and I've just described the DDG saga, but his reputation hasn't taken anywhere near as much of a dive. Liverpool fans think Stevie Me is the best thing since sliced bread, the ultimate clubman, and he did the same thing. At the end of the day Rooney has been a huge player for this club, yes he's tried to leave but that doesn't mean he doesn't care, I just feel he gets an unfair rep for those actions considering how common this sort of thing has become in football.
Rooney atm reminds me of Ponting in his last year as skipper. If he was scoring goals for fun people would be saying that he's a good captain, leading this team to multiple wins. now he's in shitful form, people are saying he's a s**t captain. He's a good captain in career worst form. Hopefully he's not finished.

Rooney atm reminds me of Ponting in his last year as skipper. If he was scoring goals for fun people would be saying that he's a good captain, leading this team to multiple wins. now he's in shitful form, people are saying he's a s**t captain. He's a good captain in career worst form. Hopefully he's not finished.

I don't think he is a s**t captain but he just hasn't done anything to justify being called a great captain, even good captain is pushing it.

Two or three players in the team I'd have as captain instead of him.

I don't think he is a s**t captain but he just hasn't done anything to justify being called a great captain, even good captain is pushing it.

Two or three players in the team I'd have as captain instead of him.
When Rooney was given the captaincy there were no real alternatives. Unless he is sold or dropped, he'll be captain for a while. Would love LVG or the next coach to give it to Basti or Mike.

When Rooney was given the captaincy there were no real alternatives. Unless he is sold or dropped, he'll be captain for a while. Would love LVG or the next coach to give it to Basti or Mike.

David De Gea if contracted long term should have been chosen instead of Rooney but the circumstances made it not viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back