Opinion Don't mention the war (a.k.a. The same old arguments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries can not be any worse than this year and we finished 10th. With young players improving and trades coming in, that will make a massive difference. Could be top 4 easily.
Yeah but do you think Port won't improve massively? I think they're closer to our 2006 team than we are, also GWS and Collingwood will improve massively as well, if we did unfortunately get struck with injury and considering the holes in our team I believe we have I do think 10th could happen. It is in my mind however as unlikely as 5th as the extremes of where I think we could finish, most likely we'll finish 6th to 8th.

Don't be too upset by Ol Partridge, he gets on a downer all too often.
Gee after the best run in our modern history we were bound to come back to the pack a bit. To just fail making another finals campaign, maybe be our lowest point for the next few years. Just don't try to sell it the old boy he likes to dwell on negatives to the point he cannot see the possibility of a bright future

I'm always amused by ignorant statements. That one is right up there with the best of them.

Just got a new job with a very nice pay rise - on a downer is about as inaccurate as it's possible to be.

As for emotions being decided by how the team goes, well it merits a chuckle or two, but again incorrect. We might be stronger next year, a few players with more development, hopefully a full year from Duncan, and obviously Dangerfield improves the midfield. So we'll see.

Oh I see. I'm just waiting to feel the Earth slipping off its axis at that devastating news.

Wait and see on all three. If they all get to say 150 games I'll happily stand corrected. Let's wait and see what happens if Cowan's hamstring goes ping again, or Menzel needs extended time off for knee soreness, or Vardy finds a way to miss another two seasons.
Living in a parallel universe you probably haven't noticed we are rated as one of the most successful clubs over the past decade and the way things are looking will more than likely be again and comparatively quickly. After a very short time of renewal. So short most teams - and supporters - would be over-the-moon about it. Most!

I've got to hand it to you for your ducking and weaving. It would do Rioli proud. Your prognostication was that neither Menz of Vards would play again. Um! Think they have and quite well.

As we speak your comments on the three have been proved wrong.

how far has it got them? Lost depth and their best ruck.

Exactly. I don't think bringing in highly-paid stars at the expense of having to sell our your future works, and Sydney is the perfect example of that. They've been worse since those big-name signings. But it shows that that type of thinking can still exist in the AFL at club level. Perhaps for Sydney, the problem was that they assumed they'd always have an extra 9.8% of their salary cap to work with so the millions spent on Buddy wouldn't matter so much.

I'm always amused by ignorant statements. That one is right up there with the best of them.

Just got a new job with a very nice pay rise - on a downer is about as inaccurate as it's possible to be.

As for emotions being decided by how the team goes, well it merits a chuckle or two, but again incorrect. We might be stronger next year, a few players with more development, hopefully a full year from Duncan, and obviously Dangerfield improves the midfield. So we'll see.

Good for you sunshine

I've got to hand it to you for your ducking and weaving. It would do Rioli proud. Your prognostication was that neither Menz of Vards would play again. Um! Think they have and quite well.

As we speak your comments on the three have been proved wrong.

Ducking and weaving? Because I'm not bowing and scraping begging for forgiveness? You may be misinterpreting expressing an opinion with seeking approval from others.

I'll say it again, let's wait and see.

Exactly. I don't think bringing in highly-paid stars at the expense of having to sell our your future works, and Sydney is the perfect example of that. They've been worse since those big-name signings. But it shows that that type of thinking can still exist in the AFL at club level. Perhaps for Sydney, the problem was that they assumed they'd always have an extra 9.8% of their salary cap to work with so the millions spent on Buddy wouldn't matter so much.
Doubt we're going to lose out on this though. All looking to be reasonable trades. All players are out of contract which reduces the leverage of the club we're dealing with.

Don't be too upset by Ol Partridge, he gets on a downer all too often.
Gee after the best run in our modern history we were bound to come back to the pack a bit. To just fail making another finals campaign, maybe be our lowest point for the next few years. Just don't try to sell it the old boy he likes to dwell on negatives to the point he cannot see the possibility of a bright future
Won more games than we lost too. Failed to make finals but not all is lost.

Had one of those big name signings actually been able to play this September they probably would have made another GF.

Sydney are exemplary. They are at this point the only club that has managed to go from one period of dominance (mid 00s) to another period of dominance (now) while always remaining a top 8 team or at very least in contention for the finals in the interim years. Basically Sydney have set the standard for what is now called a 'transition' rather than a rebuild. Geelong and Collingwood are the two clubs who have been attempting to emulate Sydney in this regard.

Obviously with the new landscape of FA, being successful in a 'transition' means a combination of astute drafting and signing 'names' who come on the market. I'm comfortable with how Geelong are proceeding through this transition.

Last edited:
Surely you'd have to admit when in tandem with BB the sarcasm levels go off the charts. You may not realise it but it makes it hard to distinguish sincere comments from not so sincere. Sad as your sincere views are quite good.

Maybe so, but I can't control what others post. It only means some posters share some of my views about some aspects of the club. And it's very much specific to certain areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ducking and weaving? Because I'm not bowing and scraping begging for forgiveness? You may be misinterpreting expressing an opinion with seeking approval from others.

I'll say it again, let's wait and see.
"Scraping, begging for forgiveness" What the feck are you on? Just a touch of acceptance that as we speak your oft stated comment that Menz and Vards would never play again was wrong.

Nothing whatsoever to do with seeking approval. You are, of course, entitled to express strong black and white views which is your method of forum behaviour but when those views are shown to be incorrect some acceptance of that isn't an unreasonable thing to expect. Although you-being-you, perhaps it is!

I believe Puopolo, Rioli and Shiel when he is there, put pressure on
Gunston is slow, Roughy is slow and Breust is a woos.
Gunston isn't slow and works damn hard to put forward pressure on so do Roughy and Bruest. Their whole forward line is designed to put forward pressure on. We by contrast have Hawkins the lumbering leviathan that is out of the contest as soon as the ball hits the ground and Clark isn't much better, neither really put forward pressure on, add Vardy or Stanley to that mix and I give you the least forward pressure ever seen on an AFL field.

Nothing whatsoever to do with seeking approval. You are, of course, entitled to express strong black and white views which is your method of forum behaviour but when those views are shown to be incorrect some acceptance of that isn't an unreasonable thing to expect. Although you-being-you, perhaps it is!

I thought you said you weren't going to take any notice of anything I write?

"Scraping, begging for forgiveness" What the feck are you on? Just a touch of acceptance that as we speak your oft stated comment that Menz and Vards would never play again was wrong.

But, but he's never wrong, just giving his all too predictable take on things.
We all get it wrong at times, he just finds it hard to admit it.

He was wrong about Vards and Menz, you know it, I know it and most posters know it. He has just changed the parameters a bit, hoping eventually he will be right

Maybe so, but I can't control what others post. It only means some posters share some of my views about some aspects of the club. And it's very much specific to certain areas.
Also the how shall we say, more negatively minded individuals like to claim "they're realists" yet from where others sit that's not realism it's pessimism. It's all a perspective and everyone's are different, so by all means be negative or even sarcastic and cynical if you want but when questioned don't go playing the "realism" card. Not everyone sees it that way.

It's nothing more than an opinion, a perspective, and just highlights how two people can look at the same event or circumstance and view it completely differently.

Also the how shall we say, more negatively minded individuals like to claim "they're realists" yet from where others sit that's not realism it's pessimism. It's all a perspective and everyone's are different, so by all means be negative or even sarcastic and cynical if you want but when questioned don't go playing the "realism" card. Not everyone sees it that way.

It's nothing more than an opinion, a perspective, and just highlights how two people can look at the same event or circumstance and view it completely differently.

If you mean me don't tiptoe around it.

Here's something that might be difficult to grasp. I actually know that everything is an opinion, and every one of mine could easily be wrong. They frequently are. I'm very happy to be wrong. Be curious to know where that comment ranks on the sarcasm-cynicism-realism detector.

Again, it depends on which aspect of the club we're talking about. For some aspects I'm more than a little optimistic (Jake Kolodjasnij for example). For some I'm not.

Gunston isn't slow and works damn hard to put forward pressure on so do Roughy and Bruest. Their whole forward line is designed to put forward pressure on. We by contrast have Hawkins the lumbering leviathan that is out of the contest as soon as the ball hits the ground and Clark isn't much better, neither really put forward pressure on, add Vardy or Stanley to that mix and I give you the least forward pressure ever seen on an AFL field.
I guess our small forwards and mids are gonna have to pick up the slack

I believe you are in fact a delusional Hawks fan. Don't think cats fans wear that attire. If they are so astonishing, how do Richmond beat them every time on the park. Take their mids out of the equation and you have a severely weakened Hawks lineup.

I believe you are in fact a delusional Hawks fan. Don't think cats fans wear that attire. If they are so astonishing, how do Richmond beat them every time on the park. Take their mids out of the equation and you have a severely weakened Hawks lineup.

Richmond seem to be able to play that strict man on man game against them that most sides can't get close to. Certainly not West Coast on Grand Final day.

Actually that's "School Bully" from "Ripping Yarns".....Blighty does have a sense of humour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back