2015 Delistings & Retirements

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith might be a chance to get upgraded.
It's possible we will have less senior players this year. Clubs are actually allowed to have 38 to 40 players on their senior list and 4 to 6 normal rookies. Most clubs have 40 but a few have less, I think Sydney has 38 and 6 rookies and Richmond have 39 and 5 rookies. It saves a little bit of cap space to.
It is one of the greatest hypocrisies from Sydney that they claim cost of living allowance while intentionally running two short on their senior list, to pay their senior list more money and consequently shift two players into the even less paid rookie list.

But don't get me started on it.

It is one of the greatest hypocrisies from Sydney that they claim cost of living allowance while intentionally running two short on their senior list, to pay their senior list more money and consequently shift two players into the even less paid rookie list.

But don't get me started on it.

Can you explain how that works a little more please.

Can you explain how that works a little more please.

Anyone feel free to step in and correct me on this stuff.

Each team can have 40 senior listed players who have their full salary included in the Total Player Payments/Salary Cap (TPP), the rookie listed players have half their salary count towards the TPP. The rookie wage is about $40,000-$50,000. Only one senior listed player was paid under $60,000 last season (2014), just to highlight the gap in pay levels between senior and rookie listed players.

When the draft is on they get to their later picks and elect to PASS, they then have two possible picks in the pre season draft, they PASS those too.

Effectively they have 40 players worth of salary cap spread over 38 then an additional 9-10% Cost of living allowance (COLA).

Assuming all players are paid the same share of the $10,071,000 salary cap then;
40 players make = $251775 + 9.8% (COLA) = $276,448
38 players make = $265026 + 9.8% (COLA) = $290,998 (+5.26%)

So they were already getting an extra 9.8% because it is so tough to live in Sydney, they run two short on the senior list for an average bonus of another 5.26%. So Sydney that claims to be too expensive has given their senior playing list +15.06% extra money by pushing two guys down below the minimum amount any team paid a senior listed player last season.

Each team can have 40 senior listed players who have their full salary included in the Total Player Payments/Salary Cap (TPP), the rookie listed players have half their salary count towards the TPP. The rookie wage is about $40,000-$50,000. Only one senior listed player was paid under $60,000 last season (2014), just to highlight the gap in pay levels between senior and rookie listed players.

When the draft is on they get to their later picks and elect to PASS, they then have two possible picks in the pre season draft, they PASS those too.

Effectively they have 40 players worth of salary cap spread over 38 then an additional 9-10% Cost of living allowance (COLA).

Assuming all players are paid the same share of the $10,071,000 salary cap then;

So they were already getting an extra 9.8% because it is so tough to live in Sydney, they run two short on the senior list for an average bonus of another 5.26%. So Sydney that claims to be too expensive has given their senior playing list +15.06% extra money by pushing two guys down below the minimum amount any team paid a senior listed player last season.

COLA is changing for Sydney a bit (I think GWS have a slightly different version, more generous obviously), I can't remember exactly but phasing in over the next few years, maybe 2017 I think, it will only be players earning bellow a certain amount that will get COLA. Based on average player wage I think. A bit vague, but something like that. Otherwise, that sounds about right.

Another thing to remember is that there is a provision that any 're-rookied' player or player who is shifted from a main list (of any club I believe) to rookie list has their subsequent payments entirely allocated towards the TPP. Not sure if there are any in that boat at Sydney, we do in Smith and Mora if he heads that way too.

You're forgetting to include half the wages of the rookies, assuming it was 6 * 50000 then the calc is:
(10071000 - 150000)/38 = 261,079
in any case that isn't how it would work, the amount saved would be the value of two low end contracts (I.E. in cutting their hypothetical list of 40 to 38 it would be two of the lowest paid players who would be cut, not someone on 1/4 a mill a year) minus the 1/2 value of the two extra rookies, somewhere between 100,000 (or even less) and 200,000. I suspect they do this because they like to have plenty of international rookies going which presumably cost more than $50000 a piece.

I guess more clubs may pursue this tactic as I can see two definite positives.
  1. The new "stockpile" rule where clubs can "bank" unused cap space for future years.
  2. If you genuinely consider a couple of your rookies may be good enough for a gig you can keep the slots vacant and then you do not need an long term injury to promote a rookie. Assuming one starts to show something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 changes including Deluca to be re-rookied before we trade anyone away as well. Quite an overhaul of the bottom 20% of the list occurring here already and maybe a bit more to come in the next fortnight too.

At least we know now yesterday wasn't decisive on delistings and retirements. We could see a few more over the weekend and next week.

homerexplain35c38c23a9a4c38109ed2b073365b84.jpg

How many did Ross use this season? Aside from the port dead rubber... Maybe 28-30 players..? From what 40 + rookies?
Clearly they all just weren't good enough to push up for senior selection.
I guess we will recycle a few de-listed guys to 'play their role'
Every list aside from GWS & GC who are filled with 1st n 2nd rounders effectively have 4-6 speculative picks that hope will push up. Ours weren't good enough.
That's what 20% of the list change? Massive

I read in afl.com that Morabito's knee had got a lot better but he was also skating on thin ice. Decision to be made next week.

With life membership being 150 games, has it been taken away from him as a result of his indescretion? He is still listed on the clubs website.
I thought AFL life membership was 200 for some reason.

I guess even the smartest guy in the room can be wrong some times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back