Is it time that AFL clubs dropped beverage company sponsorships ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah yeah yeah, we eat too much fat.

Western diet = lots of animal products = fat campaigners
Most diets = lots of starch = normal sized people

If you eat loads of potatoes and rice and white bread you'll still end up fat.

Gatorade is the real killer. At least everyone knows coca cola and pepsi aren't good for you, but from my short time working as a personal trainer, the amount of overweight people who do a little exercise then drink a bottle of gatorade 'because it's healthy' is truly sad and sickening.

Still marginally better then beer or wine, or flavored milk even. I started with powerade when I began at my gym because I simply could not stomach the 8 cups of water per day when I began, could only manage 5 so had to add other fluids to do so. Not sure why you would be sickened though by others personal choices. Are you one of those people who thinks everyone should be a perfect body size and weight and eat and drink only good things?

If you eat loads of potatoes and rice and white bread you'll still end up fat.

Just like all foods it depends what you do, and if you can burn off the energy. Take a look at this:

Michael Phelps, 12,000 calories a day in 2008. Plenty of starch there.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

Obesity is now the leading cause of death in Australia.

Around 9 million Australians are overweight and another 5million are obese this includes over 1million overweight and 250,000 obese children.

More than 5million Australian have fatty Liver disease and over 1million have type 2 diabetes.

Meanwhile every AFL club has an affiliation with Coca-Cola and or the Pepsi Owned Gatorade brand or similar.

Players do ads for Gatorade and PowerAde, supposed sports drinks that contain around 25 spoonfuls of sugar with high salt content and market them as healthy drinks that makes you an athlete.

Somehow this is overlooked while people are outraged about poker machines that adversely affect a tiny fraction of the population.

If we are going to run the morality meter over AFL and club revenue this is the first place to start.

solution: just require medicare cards to be swiped when buying tobacco, alcohol and confectionery

Just like all foods it depends what you do, and if you can burn off the energy. Take a look at this:

Michael Phelps, 12,000 calories a day in 2008. Plenty of starch there.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

Michael phelps was probably the most active human on the planet at that stage burning massive amounts of energy. If he ate that diet after retiring he would end up like Elvis and be dead within two years.

As I said before you can eat whatever you want as long as energy consumed does not exceed energy burnt. He could have just been eating butter and it wouldn't have caused him to put on weight.

Not sure why you would be sickened though by others personal choices. Are you one of those people who thinks everyone should be a perfect body size and weight and eat and drink only good things?

No, you missed my point. The sad part is seeing someone who is overweight and trying to get in shape and improve their lives being sabotaged by the misleading impression that gatorade is healthy

Michael phelps was probably the most active human on the planet at that stage burning massive amounts of energy. If he ate that diet after retiring he would end up like Elvis and be dead within two years.

As I said before you can eat whatever you want as long as energy consumed does not exceed energy burnt. He could have just been eating butter and it wouldn't have caused him to put on weight.

heck there are many ultra athletes, one guy in the US ran a marathon every day for a year. All I am saying is if you are prepared to do the work you can eat whatever the heck you like.
If your average daily kj need is 8700 and you filled up on 7000 kj worth of white bread and ate nothing else you are still gonna lose weight.

No, you missed my point. The sad part is seeing someone who is overweight and trying to get in shape and improve their lives being sabotaged by the misleading impression that gatorade is healthy

Calories in < Calories out and lose weight. 600 ml gatorade basically has 700kj, if someone drank 3 of those a day, and supplemented it with 6,000 kj of food and their daily kj rate was 8,700 they will still lose weight yes?

Who the hell thinks Gaterade is "healthy"?

If you think it's even remotely healthy, you're the one who deserves to be banned, not alcohol or soft drinks or junk food.

Calories in < Calories out and lose weight. 600 ml gatorade basically has 700kj, if someone drank 3 of those a day, and supplemented it with 6,000 kj of food and their daily kj rate was 8,700 they will still lose weight yes?

If someone is a huge fatty used to eating 6000kj per meal and they are trying to stick to a diet plan that see's them cut down to 8000kj per day I don't think allocating a quarter of their daily calories to gatorade is very clever. :drunk:

If someone is a huge fatty used to eating 6000kj per meal and they are trying to stick to a diet plan that see's them cut down to 8000kj per day I don't think allocating a quarter of their daily calories to gatorade is very clever. :drunk:

No, that is 6000kj per day, and 3 gatorades, 1 at breakfast, lunch and dinner. You think that cannot be done?

No, that is 6000kj per day, and 3 gatorades, 1 at breakfast, lunch and dinner. You think that cannot be done?

Of course it can be done. You can stop eating completely and lose weight fast that way. I'm talking about the real world dealing with someone who has an overeating problem and doesn't have your supreme knowledge of nutrition and willpower

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it can be done. You can stop eating completely and lose weight fast that way. I'm talking about the real world dealing with someone who has an overeating problem and doesn't have your supreme knowledge of nutrition and willpower

Haha read my inbox to you, that is far from the truth ;)

Obesity is now the leading cause of death in Australia.

Around 9 million Australians are overweight and another 5million are obese this includes over 1million overweight and 250,000 obese children.

More than 5million Australian have fatty Liver disease and over 1million have type 2 diabetes.

Meanwhile every AFL club has an affiliation with Coca-Cola and or the Pepsi Owned Gatorade brand or similar.

Players do ads for Gatorade and PowerAde, supposed sports drinks that contain around 25 spoonfuls of sugar with high salt content and market them as healthy drinks that makes you an athlete.

Somehow this is overlooked while people are outraged about poker machines that adversely affect a tiny fraction of the population.

If we are going to run the morality meter over AFL and club revenue this is the first place to start.

FFS

No words.

heck there are many ultra athletes, one guy in the US ran a marathon every day for a year. All I am saying is if you are prepared to do the work you can eat whatever the heck you like.
If your average daily kj need is 8700 and you filled up on 7000 kj worth of white bread and ate nothing else you are still gonna lose weight.

yep from a weight perspective

but given some foods (ie sugar) are toxic, it doesn't matter whether you exercise or not, its doing harm.

yep from a weight perspective

but given some foods (ie sugar) are toxic, it doesn't matter whether you exercise or not, its doing harm.

Heck we are all gonna die right and the story of the slob living to 80 on pizza and ice cream is not as rare as it seems, heck some smokers even live that long. Fruit has natural sugar, does not make it poision, but on that note too much of anything can be dangerous right? :)

I dont buy one fecking thing because of sponsorship, at least not on purpose.

I dont go to QBE for insurance, i go where i get the best deal, * citibank and VW etc

Let whoever will pay sponsor whoever, people dont need protection,

I dont go to QBE for insurance, i go where i get the best deal, * citibank and VW etc

Pretty much the same here, only time I even pay attention to them is when they are giving me something for free :p

The OP is spot on. Watch 'That Sugar Film' and see the truth.

However, the chances of the AFL actually dropping beverage company sponsorships in the near future would be next to zero, I would have thought. I still wish it would happen, though.

I don't understand why AAMI think those awful commercials that they have will make people want to use them.

It doesn't appear to have occurred to anyone here that soft drink companies have sought out sponsorship deals with sporting leagues because we're starting to realise how bloody awful they are for our health, and sales are plummeting.

So they attach themselves to something that's positive for the most part, like professional sport, and then everyone conveniently cries "nanny state" whenever there's a suggestion of going back to a time that actually did exist, where even though there was certainly sponsorship by makers of unhealthy products (I'm thinking particularly tobacco companies), it wasn't out of all proportion like it is now, to the degree that sporting leagues look more like life support systems for unhealthy products with an image problem.

Gee that second sentence was a long 'un.

Can I start the next thread about car manufacturers. Something, something, something .....diesel, petrol - what were they thinking. They are killing us with that smoke that cars have generated since Spangher was born.

All clubs should immediately drop their sponsorships with car manufacturers - that'll teach em.
Actually, considering the extremely unethical act that VW has been caught doing on a global scale, I do wonder how much longer the Sydney Swans will go till they decide that the association with one of their chief sponsors is so detrimental to the club's image that it is no longer worth the dollars it brings in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back